What kind of foods are good for losing weight?

Options
Is it okay to mostly eat fruits and vegetables ?

What are some foods/drinks that should absolutely be avoided?

Replies

• StatutoryGrape
    Options
    I tend to take the "everything in moderation" approach. If I want a cookie, I'm going to eat the damn cookie and then watch what I eat for the rest of the day so I don't go over. I've completely cut out soft drinks and have noticed that I'm not as bloated, but that's a no-brainer. As far as I'm concerned, mostly fruits and veggies is fine...just make sure you're getting enough protein. Beans are a great alternative if you don't like meat.
  • pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    Go to Google

Look up Michael Pollan

'nuf said
  • ericalyn93
    Options
    I tend to take the "everything in moderation" approach. If I want a cookie, I'm going to eat the damn cookie and then watch what I eat for the rest of the day so I don't go over. I've completely cut out soft drinks and have noticed that I'm not as bloated, but that's a no-brainer. As far as I'm concerned, mostly fruits and veggies is fine...just make sure you're getting enough protein. Beans are a great alternative if you don't like meat.

I totally agree! In fact, I'm eating a chocolate chip cookie right now, but that's only because I worked my booty off in my workout this morning! :) I also have cut out all soft drinks and have noticed a big difference. I even seem to have more energy. I don't feel as weighed down. One snack I love to eat are peanuts. They are a good source of protein (when eaten in moderation-just like anything else).
    I agree that anything is okay just as long as it's the right portion size!
  • 7opoundsin16weeks
    7opoundsin16weeks Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    GRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAPEFRUITTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    and ACV !!! TRUST MEE !
  • funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can eat a lot of them but you must make sure you're getting in your protein. If you're not eating meat, eggs or dairy, you need to ensure you get your protein from beans, legumes, whatever. I'm not a vegetarian so I can't advise on what you should eat without meats/eggs/cheese as a protein source.

No food should ever be off-limits as long as you account for it in your food diary. Allow splurges so you won't feel deprived. This should be a lifestyle change. Not deprivation.
  • StatutoryGrape
    Options

I totally agree! In fact, I'm eating a chocolate chip cookie right now, but that's only because I worked my booty off in my workout this morning! :) I also have cut out all soft drinks and have noticed a big difference. I even seem to have more energy. I don't feel as weighed down. One snack I love to eat are peanuts. They are a good source of protein (when eaten in moderation-just like anything else).

HIGH FIVE! I'm a big fan of nuts (cashews and almonds are my favorites) as a snack, but I need to start eating more of them.
  • Clever_Girl
    Options
    Water
  • floweringcurrant
    floweringcurrant Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I eat mostly clean foods. Lots of fruits and vegetables, some whole grains, minimal processed white sugars, some raw honey. I do not drink soda or juice.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    Is it okay to mostly eat fruits and vegetables ?
    Yes, dear. Bless your heart.
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I try to make most of diet fruits, vegetables, lean meat, and whole grain. I don't cut anything out of my diet entirely. I just eat french fries and ice cream in moderation (though truth be told, I'm losing my taste for fried food). I will say I lost a ton of weight years ago when i quit soda cold turkey because that was 90% of my liquid intake. I didn't do too much to change my eating habits either. Now my soda intake is pretty much limited to mixed drinks, since the carbonations makes me sick. I also try to avoid processed food, but again, it's mostly because I've lost my taste for it.
  • Dexy_
    Dexy_ Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Fruits and veges are wonderful! Chicken is a good staple as well :) as for drinks try to stick to water!
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options

^^
  • munchkinhugs
    munchkinhugs Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Water

is good in moderation but is bad if that's all you're putting in for 30days??
  • munchkinhugs
    munchkinhugs Posts: 278 Member
    Options

Sorry this is off topic, but I really wanted to address what you said in the other post about Dr.Oz., but the topic is locked now. I just wanted to tell you what Dr.Oz said about eating 6 times a day speeds up your metabolism isn't true.

If you eat 15 meals that total 2000 calories, or 1 meal that totals 2000 calories, it's still 2000 calories either way. You still have to digest the same amount either way. Your body can't create energy out of nothing, all the energy you have is the amount of calories that are in your body. You can't make more, or less.

Does the fact that you're giving your body more time to process the said 2000 calories if you spread it out over six meals, as opposed to one (say) have anything to do with the whole idea of improving metabolic function?
  • jacobsonmandy
    jacobsonmandy Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I've been doing egg whites in the morning, a low calorie lunch, and like a lean meat with greens in the evening And when I need a snack, I do 2 100-150 or so calorie or less snacks when I'm hungry which is usually later on in the day. I'm a chunky girl, and I tend to overeat so I've been very careful. When I give into my craving, like cookies *yum* I've been trying to eat half. It gives me what I want, but I know that if I over eat and have too many cookies my will power is gone. So if I want 1, I cut in half then save the other for later or whatever. Sometimes it's managable, and sometimes you just want the whole thing and you need to give in and treat yourself...so it depends. But moderation has been helping me, and drinking alot of water.
  • angel79202
    angel79202 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    don't forget the lean protein!
  • soccerella
    soccerella Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    fruits and veggies are great - try to get in some protein there too, like others said chicken or fish, or even lean beef.

also like others said, its everything in moderation - if you want dessert, have it, just try to stay within your calorie goals. Record everything and making your diary public helps too, so people can give constrictive critisism if your having too much sodium, not enough protein etc.

Also, since you wanted to do a 30 day water fast, why not just try having that be your only drink for 30 days and aim to get 8-12 glasses a day? It will help to curb you appetite a bit, will do wonders for your skin and other organs, and you'll still be eating other healthy stuff so we'll all be less concerned for you :)
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    The foods that leave you in a deficit. :devil:
  • dasblondie
    dasblondie Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    i agree that you can have anything in moderation....i also agree that is is better to eat several smaller meals a day than all your calories at one time, of course there are days that you have one large meal and and then watch calories for the rest of day. But i wouldnt advice that on a regular basis. I believe your body will store more calories if you eat them all at once, it can only burn the needed amount of calories for a period of time and then store the unneeded. And of course diets of mostly fruit and veggies are ok, but you do def. need protien too. That is just my opinion though :smile:
  • vbennett7
    vbennett7 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I rarely drink pop or juice. I don't eat bread much, but when I do its usually whole wheat. Why? Because I just didn't want to use up my daily calorie quota with bread or juice. Cheese is also something I have learned to use as a condiment--not much or its also uses up a lot of the calorie quota.
    Regarding the small meals.... I did not start out eating 5-6 times a day, and I lost weight. Now that I am close to my goal, I am full after eating my bowl of morning cereal, but I am really hungry before lunch, so I have to eat a small snack. Again in the afternoon, I have to eat something before supper, even though I was really full at lunch. I think it just naturally happens that you need to eat 5-6 times; if your metabolism is increased.
    I chose to eat lots of veggies and fruits because they don't have a lot of calories,...but as a result, I don't want to eat a lot of fried or processed food, I feel sick if I do. Its weird and interesting how your body and tastes can change, if we stick with the process. You can do it, if you are serious about it.