Elliptical question

Options
I have a general quesiton for people who use ellipticals. I have a Sunny Fitness elliptical that counts time, calories, distance, etc. Well I just did 17 minutes at 12 miles/hr, logged 3 miles, but it says I burned 54 calories. can that be right? i just feel like that is so low. I'm wondering if its right or if someone can give me a general idea.

Replies

• couponsaver79
    couponsaver79 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • chicklidell
    Options
    It's definitely wrong. Get yourself an HRM it's really the only accurate way to get your true readings
  • elisa0128
    Options
    That doesnt sound right at all
  • elcieloesazul
    elcieloesazul Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Did you punch in your weight? Most exercise equipment estimates calories burned on a person who weighs 150 pounds. If you weigh more than that, chances are you burned more. I would also punch in those numbers on MFP. MFP is pretty close to the numbers I get from the machines when I remember to type in my weight.
  • callielizabethrocks
    Options
    That's not right. Unless you weigh 15lbs. I would see if you are able to program your weigh,t and if you have, I'd check to see if you have programmed it correctly. I'm 5'11" and I weigh about 200, after 17 min at level 12 I would burn close to 275 calories.
  • jenna715
    jenna715 Posts: 201
    Options
    more than likely it is incorrect, its pretty hard to go THAT slow and easy on an elliptical (it also matters how old, male or female, and how much you currently weigh)... I believe my elliptical overestimates calories burned (usually says about 550-600 in 30 mins)

Try using a different tracker (mfp's estimate or a different phone app). For most accurate calories get a heart rate monitor.
  • pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    The calories seem a little off, but the speed and distance are IMO way off.

Do you think you could RUN 3 miles in 17 mintues? That's like Olympic gold medalist speed.
  • danniellevigue
    Options
    i own anelliptical, and use it about 3 hours a day. i weight around 160, i am female, and i burn around 900 calories an hour. sometimes the machine is programmed for average people, if you weigh more you will burn more calories, and it depends on your heart rate too. i would go online, plug in your info and see how it compares. google "calorie burn calculator"
  • PrincessLou71186
    PrincessLou71186 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I have one, I worked tirelessly for 20 minutes breaking in to a huge sweat on a high program and apparently I burned 110 calories.

I also don't think it's right, going to get hubby to look into it for me.
  • PrincessLou71186
    PrincessLou71186 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Based on 198lbs and for 20 minutes.

Using http://www.healthstatus.com/cgi-bin/calc/calculator.cgi

Results:
    According to the information you provided, below is an estimate of the calories you burn. Generally, to maintain your weight, the amount of calories you take in should equal the amount you burn. The Daily Energy Expenditure calculator will help you figure out the minimum number of calories your body needs each day to work properly. To lose one U.S. pound (.454 kg), you must burn 3,500 more calories than you take in as food.

Activity Calories burned
    Elliptical trainer 341
    Total Calories Burned 340

Now I am very confused.
  • beckylawrence70
    beckylawrence70 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Yup, HRM is the only way to really get an accurate reading, I use it for every exercise I do, I don't go by what the machine says......