SHIFTWORKER..help!

Options
Im a shift worker - I find it very hard to lose weight - and I need to desparately! anyone have any hints on how to change habits with a shiftwork eating schedule??? or how do i find the motivation to work out after a 12 hour shift???
I work days and night - both 7-7 - so, eating and exercising is difficult to stay on a schedule.
if anyone has any hints on how to make it a bit easier..I'd love to hear them!

E.

Replies

• T1gerLily
    Options
    I definitely know your situation. I am nurse and work 12-hr shifts. I just started working nights. I usually don't workout on days that I work. Being on my feet for the entire day is tiring, not to mention the lifting of patients. That to me is like a workout. I did find it easier to work nights, I'd come home and go straight to bed, and if I'm off that day I'd wake up at noon maybe eat a fruit or a snack and go workout. Or eat a regular lunch and exercise in the evening. Honestly, I did not feel tired at all. As far as meals, with night shift I'd eat dinner right before I start, I don't like eating an early dinner bc I get hungry later in the night and it makes me want to eat even more. During my break I'd usually eat something small like cereal, yogurt, boiled egg, fruits which I put as my breakfast.

I definitely don't recommend working out on 12hr days. Your body needs to rest, but if you think about it you only work 3 days and have 4 days off which give you plenty of time to exercise.

I'm still new to the night shift and adjusting when to eat and what to eat is still a challenge.
  • coppers2002
    Options
    Posts from October 2011
    Nutrition tips for shift workers
    This post was partially inspired by my husband who happens to be a night shift worker, he’s a shift worker who has learned to do things right. Although he is on nights he manages to live a balanced and healthy lifestyle which includes eating well and finding time to exercise. The other inspiration for this post is the many comments I hear from other shift workers who say “ugh, I can’t get healthy I work shifts”. I want to help dispell this idea that just because you’re a shift worker all hope is lost and you can’t possibly get healthy.

Are you one of the 3 in 10 Canadians that work shifts? If so, you may find that eating well can be a real challenge. Especially during night shifts when the only food readily available may be from vending machines or fast food outlets.

Did you know there are several known health issues that affect shift workers more so than us day-walkers.

Research shows that shift workers: are at increased risk of heart disease, angina, high blood pressure and stroke; often feel tired or disoriented and have trouble falling asleep or getting a good sleep.

Chronic sleep deprivation is associated with being overweight, which is also a risk to your health; and means you’re probably experiencing digestive problems such as constipation, diarrhea, gas, heartburn and indigestion. To make matters worse all of those issues can be further aggravated by poor nutrion and lack of exercise — all of which are common with shift workers….see what I’m getting at here?

Shift work can affect your health by interfering with your “internal body clock”, known as the circadian rhythm, that functions to regulate the roughly 24 hour cycle of the human body. Working shifts can throw your circadian rhythm off. For example, your internal body clock tells your body to be awake in the daytime and asleep when it’s dark. After working through the night, you may want to go to sleep just when your body thinks it’s time to wake up! Digestive processes slow down in the evening and overnight. When this rhythm is interrupted by shift work, what you eat may be out of sync with what your body is able to process. Fats will not be cleared from the blood stream as efficiently and blood sugars will not be regulated appropriately. That is why some foods that you tolerate well during the day may trouble you if you have them late at night.

Here are some tips that can help you not only survive but to thrive:

Brown-bag it.
    Yes, I understand this takes longer but if you spend a couple of hours one day per week you can get your whole weeks worht of cooking done at once! Packing healthy meals and snacks at home will make it easier to eat well on your shift. Include a variety of nutritious foods from all four food groups, and no “sugar” is not a food group. Choose lean proteins (chicken, fish, pork), lots of veggies and foods high in fibre (whole grains) to help keep you feeling full and powered up.

Slim down.
    Choose lower fat milk products like skim, 1% or 2% milk and yogurt and lean meats and alternatives like boiled eggs or natural peanut or almond butter.

Indigestion intervention.
    To prevent indigestion or ‘heartburn’ consume lower fat foods that are not fried or too spicy. Foods high in sugar may give you a short burst of energy, but can ultimately leave you feeling sluggish.

Avoid portion distortion.
    Watch your portions! Although this is true for everyone it’s especially important for shift workers. You may find yourself eating a large meal twice, first at work and then again at home. This can amount to too many calories that can lead to weight gain. If you’re planning to enjoy a large meal after work, try having lighter meal or snacks at work to tide you over.

Stay hydrated.
    Drink plenty of water to prevent dehydration, which can leave you feeling tired not to mention can disguise itself as hunger. Remember that by the time you feel thirsty you are likely already dehydrated. Keep a water bottle close by and drink regularly throughout your shift.

Cut down on caffeine.
    I know, stop groaning I can hear you from here! The fact is caffeine stays in your system for up to eight hours which can make it difficult to fall asleep later. It’s best to have caffeinated drinks before or early in your shift. Even better, switch to decaffeinated tea or coffee and enjoy fruit juice, lower fat milk or water.

Eat meals according to time of day, not your shift. If you start work in the afternoon, have your main meal in the middle of the day, rather than in the middle of your shift. If you’re working nights, eat your main meal before your shift starts, preferably between 5 and 7 p.m. Have a late night pick-up. A snack with a little protein will provide sustained energy late at night when you start to feel tired. Try fruit with a small piece of lower fat cheese or half a small whole grain bagel with peanut butter. A late night pick-up will help keep you alert when your body is programmed for sleep. Have a light snack before bed. You can improve the quality of your sleep by not going to bed too full or too hungry. A light carbohydrate rich snack such as whole grain cereal with fruit or whole grain toast and jam are a good choice. Stay active. Some light exercise before or midway through your shift will give you energy to finish your shift, improve your mood and help you sleep better. Do some stretches during your break or go for a brisk walk. Maintain a healthy body weight. A healthy body weight can reduce your chances of getting heart disease, diabetes and even some cancers. Learn more about how you can achieve and maintain a healthy weight.

*eat right ontario
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    all of my weight loss came from graveyard shift. 11pm-7:30am.
    this is what I have done and currently do and it works for me
    2 meals a day. 1 at work, spread out through the night and then 1 at home.
    pack your lunch for work. if you are tempted to do late night fast food, I was in the past especially with alot of them being open 24/7, leave your wallet/purse at home. no money = no fast food.
    stairs instead of elevator, walk breaks if you can get away. I work weekends and luckily for me it's very dead @ work and I take advantage of going out to walk/jog for 30 mins. I also bring a change of clothes too for when I get sweaty.
    I also hit the gym right after work, again bringing a change of clothes with me. sometimes when my shift ends I'll change to my workout clothes before leaving work and go straight to the gym. no excuses.

it's hard but after making little changes here and there, it'll add up and get easier over time