Help! I am gaining, what am I doing wrong?

Good morning! I have been using Slim Fast since December 28. I have started exercising every day and counting calories. I lost 5.4 pounds in less than a week but now I am gaining each day. I started at 164.4 and today I am 159.4. I know it is going to fluctuate but I am not sure if I am doing something wrong. My BMR is 1494 and I try to burn at least 180 calories a day with my exercise. I have been trying to eat around 1200 calories each day. I am careful about what I eat and measure my food to get an accurate portion size. Any advice?

Thank you!
Michelle

Replies

• Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Are you eating back your exercise calories to bring you back to 1200 cals ?
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Open the diary
  • Michelle,

Is there any chance you could be pregnate?
  • KandieLantz
    KandieLantz Posts: 423 Member
    It's difficult to help without being able to view your food diary.
  • jec398
    jec398 Posts: 3
    Hi,

I don't claim to be an expert however I know that protein intake may have an affect. Protein builds muscle mass when working out. I would suggest looking up the minimal daily consumption of protein. Hope this helps. Don't get discouraged, your doing great!

Joe
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Hi,

I don't claim to be an expert however I know that protein intake may have an affect. Protein builds muscle mass when working out. I would suggest looking up the minimal daily consumption of protein. Hope this helps. Don't get discouraged, your doing great!

Joe

This is incorrect. You cannot build muscle mass on a calorie deficit, regardless of how much protein you eat. Eating less protein will lead to muscle loss, which will cause you to look less toned as you reach your goal weight.
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    sorry to say slim fast is a fad diet... :noway:

try eating "real" foods :drinker:
  • grassette
    grassette Posts: 976 Member
    Slimfast is not a diet. Get off that stuff and eat some real food.
  • onefirefly2
    onefirefly2 Posts: 1 Member
    Your body might be going into starvation mode. So basically anything you eat will be stored for later. try cutting out anything white ,increase water intake and lean protein and eat lots of green leafy vegetables as close to their natural state. so that means a spinach salad no dressing- use balsamic vinger. switch from regular potato to sweet potato, but limit starches. You'll find that you can eat a lot and still stay close to your 1200 cal/day. Also, try green tea with stevia, if you get tired of drinking water only. good luck
  • sbeisel1
    sbeisel1 Posts: 181
    Do some research on "slimfast" and its specific artificial sweetners(google will get you to the studies). many studies have shown that consuming fake sugars while trying to lose weight can have the opposite desired effect. while it works for some it dosent for others. The artifical sugar can cause your body to be tricked into thinking its getting the sugar and when it doesnt it will end up in fat storing mode. not to mention the other things that they do to you. i did the "slimfast" before and I had many problems with it. try a healthy proteine smoothy or just a fruit smoothie with yogurt, it is much better for you and you will feel better too. take a look at your settings, are you eating enough? when you finish your day do you get the message that you are eating too few calories? if it does you might want to reevaluate what you are doing/eating/goals.

I do end up eating some fake sugars from time to time, but I learned my lesson the hard way, every day? no way!!
  • jec398
    jec398 Posts: 3
    Wow, thanks for clarifying that. Did I mention that I wasn't an expert?
  • Michelle7897
    Michelle7897 Posts: 108 Member
    I am def not pregnant. If I burn 200 calories exercising, how many should I eat? I was thinking that 1200 was the number you should aim for when trying to lose. Yesterday I ate 1175 and burned 524 calories. This is not a typical day. Usually I burn between 180 and 200. My goal is to burn 200.
  • dakitten2
    dakitten2 Posts: 888 Member
    Would help if we could see your food diary. Are you only doing slimfast or just substituting it for one meal. Like I say in order to help us help you, an open food diary would be beneficial.
  • mjok31
    mjok31 Posts: 84
    I agree....stop the slimfast and start eating regular food! I have tried slimfast in the past and i will still have a shake here and there if i am running behind and am eating on the go. But real food will help i bet!!!!
  • It could be that because you're coming off the slimfast, your body is getting used to real food again.

If you make your diary public we can probably offer more help.
  • vickthedick
    vickthedick Posts: 136 Member
    Slimfast is not a diet. Get off that stuff and eat some real food.

this all the way
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Good morning! I have been using Slim Fast since December 28. I have started exercising every day and counting calories. I lost 5.4 pounds in less than a week but now I am gaining each day. I started at 164.4 and today I am 159.4. I know it is going to fluctuate but I am not sure if I am doing something wrong. My BMR is 1494 and I try to burn at least 180 calories a day with my exercise. I have been trying to eat around 1200 calories each day. I am careful about what I eat and measure my food to get an accurate portion size. Any advice?

Thank you!
    Michelle
    Your starvation diet has stifled your metabolism.
    Classic case.

EAT!
  • amyofftherecord
    amyofftherecord Posts: 64 Member
    If you eat too few calories per day, your metabolism will start to slow down so it can be more efficient with what you give it. Realistically 1500 kcals per day plus your exercise would be a better idea. Also, if your exercise involves strength training, it's possible you're burning fat but also building muscle. Muscle is more dense than fat, so you can stay the same size but still gain weight, or stay the same weight but lose inches. Don't just watch the scale, go by how your clothes feel, too. It isn't just weight, it's also body composition that matters.
  • appleseeds
    appleseeds Posts: 212 Member
    You said you are gaining each day, how many days are we talking about here? 1? 2? 7?

EDIT: Also im pretty sure your body doesnt go into starvation mode after just 11 days on a diet

P.S. I say "pretty sure" because "im no expert" :P
  • Michelle7897
    Michelle7897 Posts: 108 Member
    I know part of my problem is the types of food I am Eatting. My plan is to find the right number of calories and then start changing the types of things I eat. If I switch too fast I know I won't stick to it. How do I figure out how many calories I need to eat? I know Slim Fast can work for me, I used it a few years ago and lost over 40 pounds.