Looking for some friends to kick my rear when necessary

Options
Im 42 years old and have around 50lbs to lose depending on how I feel when I get to my first goal. I could really do with some friends who I can swap recipe ideas with as my downfall has always been hitting a brick wall with new food ideas. I seem to get to about 3 weeks in and hit a brick wall with ideas which then means I get bored. My husband would survive on jacket potatoes alone and the kids would be happy with spaghetti bolognese every day, which means ideas are hard to come by.

My wonderful husband bought me some incentives for Xmas in the way of a manicure voucher, a massage voucher and some riding lessons which I have booked in for, and have tried to stagger them to give me an incentive. I am a member of a gym but find working out on the machines extremely boring. I love to swim and have tried body combat classes (so funny once I managed to catch my breath!). Did try a spinning class and a zumba class in the past which were both fun although am not fit enough to even think about them at the minute. However, I have just bought Zumba for the Wii and done 2 of the bits to learn the steps.

I'm really good at organising as you can see from my incentives, however I am also very quick to fall off the band wagon and would love to have some friends to nudge me back into line.

Any help gratefully received!

Mich.x

Replies

• mybeach27
    mybeach27 Posts: 243
    Options
    Hey there! I completly understand where u r coming from in the food department...I luv to cook and sadly, that always leads to eating:( I'm one of the people who watches food network in the gym! But I would luv to b there for u and I have been known to b a wonderful kicker of rears when the need arises :P friend me if u would like, I would love to help you out, and its nice to know that I'm not the only one with a major food love issue :)
  • hosegirl
    hosegirl Posts: 157
    Options
    I need help to keep on track. I am so glad that your husband is supportive. What a great idea to give you those vouchers. My husband knew I wanted the Jillian Micahels 30 shred but also knew that I really didn't want to purchase a another work out video. But he did purchase it for me and the 30 day online incentive program. It is working out great! I would like to have you a friend.
  • mybeach27
    mybeach27 Posts: 243
    Options
    I'm responding to your message about healthy recipes- One idea is that when you make the bolognese, use whole wheat pasta-while it may not taste good on its own, you are going to be covering it with sauce anyway, so it helps you get that extra serving you need! Also, if you are using a canned sauce and adding meat, try to get a sauce that doesnt have much sugar in it, and if you are making your own, try to use less sugar (but not to the point where it becomes bitter) also, use ground turkey instead of beef because it is leaner, and you are still getting the protein- your kids won't know the difference, and they will be healthier too. Lastly, try to always use light extra virgin olive oil because it contains less fat and is much less processed than such things as butter and margarine. And while I am on the topic of butter, I realize that some recipes call for butter or margarine, and they won't taste right if you substitute, and I read an article the other day...USE BUTTER INSTEAD OF MARGARINE! It may have more 'fat' but you are also getting calcium from milk...margarine isn't something that occurs naturally in nature(same with butter 'spreads') so you don't want to be putting it in your body, it will throw it all out of whack :) Thanks for adding me as a friend, hope I have been helpful! <3
  • F1uffy2
    F1uffy2 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. It's really given me something to think about. I've not tried wholewheat pasta or turkey mince so will definitely give them a go. I always make the sauces from tinned chopped tomatoes and just add herbs so I can't really cut anything down there but your advice would give me an even bigger portion or less calories which is always a bonus!

Just a query.... have you ever tried using turkey mince to make homemade burgers? I was wondering if they would taste good as a lower alternative.

Mich.x
  • fluffyrn12
    fluffyrn12 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me. i'm new too this could use some support.
  • sandimack
    sandimack Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Let the *kitten* commencing begin
    STOP WITH THE EXCUSES! Listen to yourself talk, I'm bored boo whoo, really aren't we all? Stop making excuses and do it.
    Do I want to get up at 5am for boot camp probably not,
    do I enjoy my protein shake every morning, probably not,
    7 months committed to boot camp and 12 more to go have I thought about switching it up, probably
    Do I need to log in everyday? Do I need to drink that much water? Do I need to workout today? Veggies and salad again?
    YES IT MAY BE BORING OR HARD WORK BUT IT WORKS!!! So just do it!

Wow that was pretty brutal even caught me off guard. Guess I better follow my own advice.

Have a great day:)
    Sandy
  • sandimack
    sandimack Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. It's really given me something to think about. I've not tried wholewheat pasta or turkey mince so will definitely give them a go. I always make the sauces from tinned chopped tomatoes and just add herbs so I can't really cut anything down there but your advice would give me an even bigger portion or less calories which is always a bonus!

Just a query.... have you ever tried using turkey mince to make homemade burgers? I was wondering if they would taste good as a lower alternative.

Mich.x
    Yep good as burgers, just a bit dry, add an egg to mix. Also good on pita instead of bun. My teenager girls love it too.
    Also try replacing noodles with spagetti squash
  • dr_tina
    dr_tina Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I am your gal! We have a lot in common! I committed to swimming myself because too out of shape to do other things right now. I love cooking and am always looking for a new recipe. I even have a group on Facebook that is dedicated to healthy/easy recipes. Count me in!
  • Reesa32
    Reesa32 Posts: 35
    Options
    I need all the friends i can get also, add me
  • boncharlie
    boncharlie Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I've got about 50lbs to go and I'm always looking for new MFP's for mutual support :)
  • NettyB62
    Options
    HI!
    I am new to the site, but I truly believe if we all encourage each other we CAN do this. I am lucky to live alone, so the food part is very easy for me. You might check out your local library for cookbooks.
    NettyB
  • scarlet1030
    Options
    I do Zumba... once you get into it, you will love it! You lose twice the calories as normal aerobics... just set up the progress tracker on there. Good luck and always here to send support your way!:)
  • gonzalezmona
    gonzalezmona Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Please feel free to add me....I love love food!! I've recently (re)discovered EATing CLEAN....it's a great way to eat & there are so many food varieties. Essentially this diet consists of eating foods in their most natural state. Definately take advantage of your veggies. I don't buy all the same veggies in the same week. And I've ventured off into eating veggies I don't normally eat. Now I'm a big spinach eate & yams have quickly become my favorites too!! I eat lots of fish. For economical reasons I buy the frozen kind. I also buy lots of fresh fruits. For blueberries I tend to purchase the frozen kind as they will last much longer. Almonds & walnuts: a sprinkle in your spinach salad with cranberries adds a simple variety, thrown in your whole wheat oatmeal helps fill you up. PS: I could also use the occassional @$$ kickin' myself :)
  • bobbimae5109
    Options
    I have the same issue. I like to think of it as a good issue I just need to learn to manage. So many women now a days cant cook anything at all. So to love food the way I do and love cooking like i do i feel is a good quality i just need to learn to cook better and eat smaller portions of what I am cooking. Cook away! Just make sure its healthy and tasty and you have someone to share with =)
  • michelledyan
    michelledyan Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I'm new here as well and would love to be added as a friend. I need all of the friends that I can get as well to kick my butt! :)
  • Rhondasgreen
    Rhondasgreen Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Please feel free to add me as a friend. I'm new to this site and need help from others too. I'm doing at home videos. I hate going to the gym by myself and can't get anyone here to go with me.
  • KandieLantz
    KandieLantz Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    If you really want someone to kick your rear when necessary and give you positive reinforcement all other times, I'm a great friend to have! I'll add anyone who is truly looking to get or be HEALTHY, not just thin. See my disclaimer on my profile and then add me if you'd like! Welcome to MFP! :drinker:
  • SandyMilton
    Options
    Friend request being sent! I'll kick your rear when needed if you'll do the same for me!
  • MommyTKD
    MommyTKD Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I'm a 2nd degree black belt (admittedly out of shape but getting back on track) and would be happy to help! Friend me!
  • thurberj
    thurberj Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I can't help a lot with the recipes because with a house in the mountains and an apartment in town, our meals are pretty simple. We are empty nesters who still work and as long as I can make something quick I'm happy. Having a Fresh Market nearby helps!! I don't like when people want to lose weight but think of excuse after excuse about the exercise. I started working with a trainer to kick start my exercise regime, but now I feel groggy when I don't exercise. Yes, sometimes it is boring, so when i do the bike or the treadmill I set goals for myself and try to reach them. This keeps me going. of course I listen to music which helps too. Good luck and feel free to add me if you are serious and ready to commit to the journey!