Belly Fat exercises

Options
I can't really afford a gym and I'm one of those people that carry a lot of their weight in their lower abdomen and upper abdomen, but rather than be round everywhere in my waist, the place where my belly button sits is kind of caved in. Not sure if that's the right word and then I have no curve in my hips and a flat butt. To illustrate, I'm basically the "inverted triangle" or the "diamond" shape: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_CtUgVCleAX0/TKsHMnfngbI/AAAAAAAAAf4/WdODuVhXJEI/s400/1.png

I understand that crunches are good for flattening the upper abdomen, but I've never heard anything about the lower or other kinds of exercises that will help both. I also have PCOS, which make it incredibly difficult to lose even the tiniest bit of weight. Can someone please give me some recommendations?

Replies

• jennp1129
    jennp1129 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Sit UPS are for toning the muscle you still have to do cardiovascular of some kind to burn the fat and appear smaller. You can try reverse crunch for your lower abs and you might want to try pilates or yoga for cardio and strength. Good luck. Hope that helps.
  • RyanEParker
    Options
    Yup, I understand what you need.

Here's my recommendation. The only way to strip off the fat from your mid-section is by really hitting the cardio hard. You'll need to do that in conjunction with a diet that is very low in carbohydrates and mid-level of fat. You'll need to do that while also keeping the amount of calories that you take in check. Its no doubt that it'll be difficult but those are the recommendations if you want to see results quickly

That's basically what I did for my case.

Ryan Edward Parker
    Rock-Abs.net - How I Got my Abs
  • janalayn
    janalayn Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Give a weighted hula hoop a try. It is great for your core strength and abdomen. Hooping.org has instructions for making one as well as companies you can order from. They also have tutorials on how to hoop. My 77 year old mother has started hooping so anyone can do it.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    I can't really afford a gym and I'm one of those people that carry a lot of their weight in their lower abdomen and upper abdomen, but rather than be round everywhere in my waist, the place where my belly button sits is kind of caved in. Not sure if that's the right word and then I have no curve in my hips and a flat butt. To illustrate, I'm basically the "inverted triangle" or the "diamond" shape: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_CtUgVCleAX0/TKsHMnfngbI/AAAAAAAAAf4/WdODuVhXJEI/s400/1.png

I understand that crunches are good for flattening the upper abdomen, but I've never heard anything about the lower or other kinds of exercises that will help both. I also have PCOS, which make it incredibly difficult to lose even the tiniest bit of weight. Can someone please give me some recommendations?
    You CANNOT spot reduce any body part with exercise. Body fat is lost systematically, meaning if you lose 1% you lose that 1% everywhere on the body. Some parts of the body store more and usually where you put it on first, is the last place to go.
    While crunches and leg lifts can strengthen the abs, they DON'T reduce your waist size. That's done through calorie deficit and increased calorie expenditure.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • mmonconduit
    mmonconduit Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Here is my favorite website for free workouts. My suggestion to you is to do both her Pilates and cardio videos. The Pilates will tone up your abs but if you have fat on your abdomen you will need to do cardio too. http://blogilates.com/
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    The two things that helped my belly get flatter are running and eating less sugar and restaurant food! It's not perfectly flat yet, but I am on my way!
  • CallmeSbo
    CallmeSbo Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    bump
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    You can do crunches all day long but unless you burn the fat, you're not going to see any results in that area. So really, the goal would be fat loss all over, and your midsection will shrink too.

Good luck!
  • kruggsy
    kruggsy Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Although I haven't seen any major results as yet ( it's early days) I am really enjoying Zumba. It's just like dancing, it comes from South America and incorporates all types of Latin American moves like Salsa and Merengue, there's even some belly dancing moves. It's a good cardio workout as well as toning and shaping the rest of the body. In one week I lost 2 inches from the waist. There's a whole lot of moving and shaking it's magic! give it a try you'll have a lot of fun. There are reasonably priced dvd's out there and lots of classes being run all over.
    Let me know if you do decide to give it a go and how you get on. Have fun!
  • catic
    catic Posts: 156
    Options

You CANNOT spot reduce any body part with exercise. Body fat is lost systematically, meaning if you lose 1% you lose that 1% everywhere on the body. Some parts of the body store more and usually where you put it on first, is the last place to go.
    While crunches and leg lifts can strengthen the abs, they DON'T reduce your waist size. That's done through calorie deficit and increased calorie expenditure.

IDEA Fitness member

I've always wanted to try kickboxing, but I'm too chicken.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    I've always wanted to try kickboxing, but I'm too chicken.
    Doing something new is always intimidating, but you learn by repetition. Jump in and give it shot.

IDEA Fitness member
  • MissSpuggz
    MissSpuggz Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Give Bodyrock.tv a look over if you haven't already. They concentrate on HIIT and the workouts are fairly short so you can fit it into your day.

You're basically doing cardio with body strengthening and it really is super intense, you'll feel it but it's worth it.