Irritability?

Options
So I have a feeling this is a strange question, but it might not be I don't know, I'm not a genius :tongue:
Anyway, since last year I've lost around 25-30lbs, and this past month I've realized that I seem to have a REALLY short fuse. I mean little itty bitty things set me off that I normally wouldn't have cared about.
What I'm wondering is has anybody else noticed that they've become a little more irritable since losing weight? Is it the calorie restriction? Or am I just crazy? lol :noway: :huh: I also seem to notice that I blow up a lot more around family though so maybe it's just that they're my family, but it's really starting to bother me.
So anyone else? Am I crazy? lol

Replies

• mjbrenner
    mjbrenner Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Are you rocking a lower-carb diet? Similarly, are you eating lots of simple carbs? Lots of people get cranky when their blood sugar is low.

You've lost a good deal of weight (yay!), so this might change the needed dose of any medications you are taking. If a pill's dosage is body weight dependent, then you could now being more affected by it then you used to be. A quick call to your doctor can tell you if that is a problem.

Finally, I'll also point out that your profile says that you are nineteen and still in school. The holidays can be rough for people in college, since daily life with family can be so different from what you experience on campus. The quick change in routines, either way, can be a real system shocker. Also, at nineteen your body has not fully settled on your "adult" level of hormones yet. Depression, aggressive behavior, and other changes in mood are not at all uncommon in people in their late teens and early twenties. It's not a sign of being "immature" or childish - you simply may not yet have the luxury of a stable hormonal state.

Good luck on dealing with your frustrations. If it keeps up, consider giving your doctor a call and making an appointment to see is he or she can help.
  • aash28
    aash28 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Take B-12. It helps with irritability and stress. Give it three weeks to start working its magic.
  • claraemerton
    claraemerton Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Ive been on a diet for 24 HOURS and im cranky!!!! I was prob eating 3x what I should have been. Cutting back of food is like quitting smoking I swear
  • jjteddy1982
    Options
    chocolate and carbs releases what its call the "endorphine of happiness" if you are low in those, for sure your mood would be kind and grumpy, for some other ones i have the tendency to get depress, but once at month a litle piece of chocolate cake will help, that my perosnal opinion
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Hard to say with the diary hidden.
  • elcieloesazul
    elcieloesazul Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Well, I know this is going to sound petty, but I have a /little/ animosity for people who have naturally high metabolisms and can eat portions upon portions of chocolatey-fatty-cholesterol-y goodness. :grumble:
  • bevskiwolf
    bevskiwolf Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Try upping you protein and lowering your carbs. ♥
  • WifeMomDVM
    WifeMomDVM Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    I noticed I was irritable a couple of weeks before Christmas and wasn't sure why.... I later learned it was hormones as I found out I was pregnant! :bigsmile:

Make sure you are eating a healthy, balanced diet, getting plenty of rest, moderate exercise and lots of water - and I like the suggestion of others of supplementing your vitamins. :)

Hope you are feeling back to your old awesome cheerful self soon!
  • Living_Barefoot
    Living_Barefoot Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Wow! Really wasn't expecting this many responses :bigsmile:
    I was thinking that it's probably the holidays, since it's been pretty hectic.
    And I always feel bad after eating chocolate lol, unless it's a little bit :tongue: I think I may need some vitamins though, haven't really been taking any since I started college. Thanks!! :smile:
  • ogosun
    ogosun Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    i am actually happier and not at all snapper since i lost weight.... i was snapper when i was bigger cause that is not my norm to be bigger....
  • libland
    libland Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    B Vitamins seems to settle my moods.
  • Moonbyebye
    Moonbyebye Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I have. I am a very outgoing/talkative and friendly person and I am definitely grumpier. I think it is because of the restrictions in my case.
  • jenkay87
    jenkay87 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    My sister deals. Some people are all about instant gratification. If she can't have something she gets irritable and doesn't even know she's doing it. Put a smile on even when your not feeling up to it triggers the brain to release happy chemicals!!
  • persian_star
    persian_star Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I've been getting extremely irritable recently but since my diet and exercise has been pretty steady, I don't think it's anything to do with that - for me I think it's stress related. Diet can contribute to stress (if you let it 'get' to you) but I think that, unless it is lack of nutrients (vitamin supplements are a must, especially in the winter) it's more likely do do with the other factors in your life. Hope you get it figured out x