Great Low Carb Foods?

Options
I read on another post, that a reduced carbohydrate diet is better to lose fat in the abdomen. What are some foods to stay away from and some to befriend. Much appreciated. :flowerforyou:

~Renewed Dieter

Replies

• karleen
    karleen Posts: 260
    Options
    dont listen to such nonsense. our bodies RUN our carbs. eat your fruits and veggies. they arent going to hurt you.
  • soniaa777
    soniaa777 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    vegetables are your friend.
  • BlowYourMind
    Options
    Okey Dokey!
  • Classalete
    Classalete Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to touch too heavily on the issue of glycogen, carb metabolization, and your daily needs...but there is a science behind it that you may want to research.

Low carb?

Cheese
    Butter
    Sour Cream
    Nuts
    Eggs
    Lean Meat
  • stronglikebull
    Options
    correct. pretty much the only carbohydrates you should be taking in will come from fruits and vegetables, particularly if you want to flatten your stomach. it actually helps to reduce bloating and inflammation more than actual fat, but you get the results. and you're not spiking your insulin, which can cause increased fat.

so yes, produce is your friend. anything else with carbs is not.
  • Russellb97
    Russellb97 Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    I read on another post, that a reduced carbohydrate diet is better to lose fat in the abdomen. What are some foods to stay away from and some to befriend. Much appreciated. :flowerforyou:

~Renewed Dieter

It's really overall calories that matter but there are advantages to eating lower carb.
    Mostly because carbs are not essential to our health, we can fill our body with the calories from foods that do contain the nutrients we need and therefor consume less overall calories.
    Plus many "low carb" choices have lots of added fiber!

Good low carb alternatives to high carb foods:
    "Light" breads
    Carb balance tortillas
    Joseph's Flax breads

Then of course the no carbs things that were posted above!
  • Russellb97
    Russellb97 Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    correct. pretty much the only carbohydrates you should be taking in will come from fruits and vegetables, particularly if you want to flatten your stomach. it actually helps to reduce bloating and inflammation more than actual fat, but you get the results. and you're not spiking your insulin, which can cause increased fat.

so yes, produce is your friend. anything else with carbs is not.

Yes they can spike insulin, but if your body works right it shouldn't be an issue. Plus it's more about the glycemic load then just carbs themselves.
    You may not want to have juice on an empty stomach, but if you add juice to a protein shake, with some fiber powder it won't affect your blood sugar as much.
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    MEAT!
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    You can and should eat fruit and veggies and still be low carb. Somewhere between 50-100 grams will allow you to get the health benes from vegetation and not be a meanie or dummie because your brain wants it's carb fix.

I ♥ BACON!
  • ddran143
    Options
    I just made some Tuna Lettuce wraps for Lunch. Nice & light, and very low carb friendly. Didnt realize it was low carb meal until it was gone..lol
  • cshine06
    cshine06 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Stay away from boxed processed carbs foods. Eat mostly fruits and veggies for your carbs.
  • sarahbear1981
    sarahbear1981 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I don't know about the rest of you but I'm listening to the dude who has lost 112lbs :tongue:
  • PetitePerfection
    PetitePerfection Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I'm all for weaning off of processed carbs, but you just have to make sure its a maintainable lifestyle. So cutting out all carbs except fruits and veggies is, IMO, impractical. Because, really, are you never going to start eating bread products again? Most likely you will, and when you do a lot of the weight which you lose (mainly water weight and some fat) will come back. So, personally, I think the way to go is just to limit processed carbs and make sure that those which you do eat are whole wheat etc. and of course eat fruits and veggies!!!
    some low carb foods:
    -any meat
    -nuts/nut butters
    -eggs
    -cheese
    -non starchy veggies (not potatoes/sweet potatoes/yams/corn
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Carbs are not your friend when you have high blood sugar. As one poster said, there is science to back your initial question. Research it. There is nothing wrong with "restricted" carbs even if you do not have high blood sugar.
    And the weight will not come back as soon as you eat bread. You lose because of a deficit and you gain because of an increase...period. A piece of white bread does not cause you to put back on the pounds.
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    OK - So it is not the carbs itself - it is which carbs...

Carbs from vegetables =GOOD,
    Carbs from Fruit = Good in Moderation....
    Carbs from Yams, Sweet Potatoes = Good in Moderation
    Carbs from all other grains, starches = Think about it before you eat these......they could do you more harm than good....
    Personally I am on a newish mission to try and eliminate most of these (grains, starches, legumes) from my nutritional plan - but I am still getting 80 to 90 grams of carbs a day....

BUT - it is not just about the carbs - you still need to have a balanced nutritional plan - so don't eliminate one thing without understanding the other parts of the equation...

If you want to read more about this Rob Wolff's Paleo Solution, or Mark Sisson – The Primal Blueprint has some good information
  • chicklidell
    Options
    I had the biggest succes with my getting my 6 pack abs by eliminating all pasta, rice and bread from my diet, then I slowly added back in. the result, I still don't eat pasta or bread, but rice in very small doses. Have to find what works for your body. I drastically limit my fruit intake as well, my body prefers dark green veg.

My snacking choices are tuna egg cups, cold diced chicken mixed with a little flavoured olive oil dressing, cottage cheese with a little fruit in it...I like almonds, but the fat content no longer fits in with my cutting phase :(
  • mehaugen
    mehaugen Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I like to eat Olives!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    You can't spot reduce. There is no magic formula for reducing belly fat. It's genetic. Consistent caloric deficit, reduce body fat all over, and the belly fat will go away eventually. Anybody that's telling you a "special trick" to get rid of belly fat is either lying or misinformed.
  • kmhallett
    kmhallett Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Right behind ya there:)
  • chicklidell
    Options
    You can't spot reduce. There is no magic formula for reducing belly fat. It's genetic. Consistent caloric deficit, reduce body fat all over, and the belly fat will go away eventually. Anybody that's telling you a "special trick" to get rid of belly fat is either lying or misinformed.

I didn't see anyone post any special tricks.....or claim to have spot reduced, I actually saw quite a few posts on what has worked to reduce overall fat...did I miss something? I've always had a low body fat percentage, I noticed my abs pop when I cut the carbs, yes I was in a calorie deficit and I believe the carb restriction is what made the difference.