Breakfast quick foods

Options
Hey every one I am looking for any breakfast tips, I never get up in time to have breakfast before work, are there any "on the go" products out there I could have while driving to work or something I can keep at work. What is the best?

Replies

• dezdame
    dezdame Posts: 35
    Options
    I buy the egg beaters egg whites.
    Today I had 1/2 cup of egg whites scrambled (you can microwave em for like 3 minutes) and some jalapeno black beans.

Ive put egg whites, crumbled sausage (jimmy dean) and spinach into pam sprayed cupcake pans and baked them and when they were done, I added a little bit of diet cheese. These were great for on the go.
  • smathinly
    Options
    Hi!

If you really have no time to do anything in the kitchen, I recommend a fruit (bananas are my go-to morning on the run fruit) plus maybe some sort of meal bar (you have to be careful on the sugar in those things though, if you are watching sugar). If you are at all interested in baking, you could make some healthy muffins on the weekends and grab them with your fruit in the mornings as you head out.

If you have a little time in the kitchen (i.e. 5 mins), you can microwave eggbeaters or egg whites in a bowl, and toast a bagel thin, and put a slice of swiss or veggie sausage on it. All this should be around/under 300 cals and you can walk out the door with a breakfast bagel sammy!

I used to head to work for an hour commute at 5:30 am, so I feel your pain...
  • jamszy
    jamszy Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Quaker Oats makes a microwavable cup of oatmeal for on the go. Just add a spoon and you're golden.
  • Jessica0982
    Jessica0982 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Well I always eat hard boiled eggs in the morning. Yes it takes 11 minutes but you can stick then in and keep getting yourself ready in the morning. Set the timer and throw them in a container. I make them for myself and for my son each morning. I get mine peeled and ready and eat them at work. I stink the whole place up but hey....it's payback for the burnt popcorn or fish in the microwave. :)

Otherwise, Jimmy Dean has these turkey muffin things. With cheese. They're very good and I think (??) they're 300 calories or less. I could be wrong on the calories but they're tasty and easy.
  • utaviator
    utaviator Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    1. Get up five minutes earlier?
    2. Throw some yogurt, fruit, and grain of your choice in a blender... (I finally bought a generic brand 'bullet')
    3. Safely drink while driving to work!
  • grapenutSF
    grapenutSF Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    You can make steel cut oats in advance. Lots of it. Store it in fridge.

Then heat it up in microwave and mix in 1 T peanut butter & a dash of almond millk.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I get up at 6, throw 3 pc. of toast in the toaster and slap some Peanut Butter and honey on, make a cup of coffee in our Keurig and pour a glass of milk. I need all of 5 minutes to throw it together...... Get up a few minutes earlier, once you start doing it, you won't miss the lost few minutes of sleep.... :-)
  • tiggera81
    tiggera81 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I usually buy the special k cereal bars (90 calories) and they come in lots of yummy flavors. I also eat the special k fruit crisp when in a hurry.
  • kemeko
    kemeko Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Today I had 1/2 cup of egg whites scrambled (you can microwave em for like 3 minutes) and some jalapeno black beans.

Ive put egg whites, crumbled sausage (jimmy dean) and spinach into pam sprayed cupcake pans and baked them and when they were done, I added a little bit of diet cheese. These were great for on the go.

This is actually a great suggestion. I've made mini breakfast quiches over the weekend and they last forever. All it takes in the morning is to pop 2 of these in the microwave for a couple minutes, add a few drops of hot sauce (yum) and breakfast is served! The best part, they are portable too.
  • Silverstar46
    Silverstar46 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I am a big fan of fruit on the go or making a shake out of frozen yogurt, fruit and V8 Splash. But if I am in a huge hurry and I know that the day might not have as many vitamins in it as I should, I drink a Glucerna shake (chocolate flavor). They have 26 vitamins and minerals, manage blood sugar spikes and since I'm not a big breakfast eater, it's perfect!

Good luck!
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    I prepare breakfast the night before.
    1 tupperware
    1/4 cup steel cut oats
    1/2 cup fruit of any choice
    1 cup of greek yogurt

Mix it all together and let it gel overnight.
  • Yarn1997
    Options

This is actually a great suggestion. I've made mini breakfast quiches over the weekend and they last forever. All it takes in the morning is to pop 2 of these in the microwave for a couple minutes, add a few drops of hot sauce (yum) and breakfast is served! The best part, they are portable too.

Excellent! How long do you bake them? What temp?
  • Nikkiray32
    Options
    I usually eat hard boiled eggs, or a fruit with tea. Some moringing I may treat myself to whole wheat toast and peanut butter. Be very careful of cereal bars and such; they have hidden sugars and other not so great unpronouncable ingredients. I was eatting those for snacks and breakfast and didn't undersatand why I was still gaining weight.
  • BioQueen
    BioQueen Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I usually eat an english muffin with peanut butter with some sort of fruit. It's really fast, just throw it in the toaster.
  • kemeko
    Options
    Excellent! How long do you bake them? What temp?

I bake them at 350F for approx 20 minutes. Or until a knife inserted in the middle of the mini-quiche comes out clean! :smile:

The ingredient list can vary, but mine usually consist of:
    3 large eggs
    1 package frozen chopped spinach
    3/4 cup shredded reduced-fat cheese
    1 cup mixed veggies (red/green peppers, onions, maybe some fresh mushrooms, whatever is on hand)
    And definitely that dash of hot sauce when they are done. Delicious!

This will make 12 mini quiches, or 6 normal cupcake sized ones.
  • AmyEm3
    AmyEm3 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    I make mini frittata things in a cupcake pan. Then I freeze them and take them as needed and warm them up in the microwave.
    You can make them so many different ways but my last batch was the eggs plus turkey sausage, green pepper, onion, cheese, garlic, and tomatoes.
  • stronglikebull
    Options
    question for everyone who makes egg cupcakes/quiches! do they really reheat that well in the microwave? i love eating them fresh but microwaved eggs make me nervous :(

as far as on the go breakfast, i use a blender bottle and make protein shakes on days when i have 8am classes and don't have time to cook. i've also been known to make double or triple batches of pancakes and sausage to refrigerate and microwave for the next couple days.
  • Forensic
    Forensic Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I just made my quick breakfast food...

1 bag frozen spinach
    1 tube turkey sausage
    9 eggs
    Shredded mozzarella (or parmesan)
    Seasoning

Cook the sausage and spinach season to taste (I did italian and garlic and some spice) and let it cool, add eggs, mix, cook in muffin tins. Sprinkle with cheese near the end of cooking (they'll go a bit golden brown). They freeze well and in the microwave for less than a minute and there's breakfast. Nomn
  • kemeko
    Options
    question for everyone who makes egg cupcakes/quiches! do they really reheat that well in the microwave? i love eating them fresh but microwaved eggs make me nervous :(

Surprisingly, they reheat really well. The amount of egg in each quiche is almost negligible. I think the egg is only there to keep all the veggies in place/together. Give it a shot. :-)
  • Moonbyebye
    Moonbyebye Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Kashi 7 grain or blueberry frozen waffles! I eat with with a tablespoon of peanut butter (just one, it's enough to put on both!) and a banana. I put the slices on top and hold them like I would a poptart ha. No syrup or mess really and so filling/delicious

Shakes!

Nuts and bananas

so many ideas.