Best way to start running?

Options
Hi! I have recently joined the gym, I have alot of weight on my mid section and have been working really hard on doing cardio. I have never ran but I would love to start, do any of you have any tips on how it would be best for me to start? Thanks!!

Replies

• LilSomethin
    LilSomethin Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    C25K!!!!! I never ran before either but last May I started this program and ran my first 5K in October. Can't recommend it enough!! Good luck :)
  • grantsmom08
    grantsmom08 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    doing C25K and totally agree with other poster! scared of week 4 but excited at the same time! lol!
  • bunnysone
    bunnysone Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    one foot in front of the other :) Start slow, keep plenty of walk breaks and as you improve your walk breaks will shorten.

EVERYBODY is a runner. We ALL ran when we were kids, so just retrain your body to enjoy moving like that again :)
  • nishchicky
    nishchicky Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Try from couch to 5k sites. A friend did it and in 10 weeks went from never exercising to running 5 k. Good Luck!!
  • kemeko
    kemeko Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I've heard the Couch to 5K program is the best. You can find it here:
    http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

I'm going to aggresively start following the program soon... I've signed up for a few 5Ks and want to make sure I survive :-p
  • FittingIn
    FittingIn Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Get chased by something REALLY scary! :-)
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    lift one foot then pu tit down in front of you then lift the other foot and do the same. Now do it fast..LMAO
  • kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    I agree with C25K...I'm on week 3. There is an app for Android phones (probably for iPhone, too). The one I got is free. I start my music, then start the app. It dings when it's time for me to run, then dings again when it's time to walk. It builds you up gradually so you don't get discouraged, and you can repeat weeks if you don't feel ready to move up.
  • PennyNickel14
    PennyNickel14 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Couch 2 5 K

And we have a nice group of people who are doing it too :)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/47-couch-to-5k-running-program-c25k-

Check it out. There are apps for your phone or ipod to make the intervals ding :)
  • Missjilly1025
    Missjilly1025 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I started running using the running room system. You run 1 minute walk 1 minute. Do this 4 times in a week. The second week you move to 2 mins running 1 min walking. Keeping increasing your running by 1 minute until you hit 10 minutes. To this day I still run 10 & 1's. It's a nice easy progression and not to strenuous on the body.

I'm a big running fan - have fun :)
  • csmith4567
    csmith4567 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    http://running.about.com/od/getstartedwithrunning/a/beginnersguide.htm I used this when I tried ... It was very helpful ... unfortunately knee damage made my doc say no, but it was fun while it lasted.
  • progresseeker2311
    Options
    couch to 5k training plan. google it.
  • lawson305
    lawson305 Posts: 103
    Options
    i'm 48, overweight and was in the same boat 5 weeks ago. Just did w5/d3 today - nailed a 20 minute run at 5.2 mph. Treadmill, but who cares! I recommend downloading Chubby Jones' podcasts, she roots you on and encourages along the way! Good luck....
  • moniquelessard
    Options
    c25k has helped my sis a LOT and she's doing 10k now at 37 years old (never a runner)

start slow like run 30 secs, walk 30 secs (your first time)

then slowly increase the intervals

you can also ask for help from a trainer at your gym. One session may be very beneficial

best of luck! xo
  • youcandoitjess
    Options
    I don't know... I think I'm the only non-fan of the C25k program. I was just messaging a friend about this. I don't think the C25k program was created for everyone. When I started running, I weighed about 275 and to push me to get to a 20-30 minute minute 5k in 9 weeks? It's unrealistic and created a false sense of hope which ultimately led to me becoming discouraged. I was trying to go too fast way too soon and I ended up with sore knees, sore hips and a bruised spirit! I know they say that it's fine if you don't get to the full 5k within the time frame that they give you, but at the pace I was trying, I didn't think I was ever going to get there (yes, I know this comes from within myself and it is not the program's fault, but I wanted to try something else). I know that everyone is different and I'm definitely not trying to bash the C25k program, it's just that I didn't feel that it helped me.

The best thing that has worked for me is just setting the treadmill for 45-60 minutes, walking at a pace you're briskly walking and seeing if you can complete 3.1 miles in that time frame. If you can - GREAT! If not, try to up the speed each time after until you can. Once you get the 3.1 miles in under 60 minutes, try to see if you can run the first quarter mile and walk to finish out the first mile, then run for a quarter mile and walk to finish out the second mile, etc...

My training right now has me jogging for the first mile and a half, then alternating walking and jogging every quarter mile after that, and I finish the 5k in just under 45 minutes. I'm not running lightening fast - the fastest I can handle is 5.0 MPH, but this training allows me to see that I'm finishing the entire 5k and I don't feel any pressure to do it in a short period of time.
  • brendacella
    brendacella Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Totally agree with C25K. Great program!!! I did it last year and did 2 5K's - my first I walked/ran b/c I had surgery a few months before and the second ran the whole time. I also found that sometimes I had to do a week 2 times just to get adjusted - starting about wk 6 it took me a little more time. Good Luck!!!
  • jillrunyan
    jillrunyan Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am recovering from a pelvic and back injury, and the best thing that I have found has been the elliptical machine. I set a goal for myself to spend an hour a day on it, started at the lowest resistance, and spent every day for two months working my way up in resistance. It works because it trains you to stride straight up and down and evenly without pounding your lower body joints.
  • karenwill2
    karenwill2 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I don't know... I think I'm the only non-fan of the C25k program. I was just messaging a friend about this. I don't think the C25k program was created for everyone. When I started running, I weighed about 275 and to push me to get to a 20-30 minute minute 5k in 9 weeks? It's unrealistic and created a false sense of hope which ultimately led to me becoming discouraged. I was trying to go too fast way too soon and I ended up with sore knees, sore hips and a bruised spirit! I know they say that it's fine if you don't get to the full 5k within the time frame that they give you, but at the pace I was trying, I didn't think I was ever going to get there (yes, I know this comes from within myself and it is not the program's fault, but I wanted to try something else). I know that everyone is different and I'm definitely not trying to bash the C25k program, it's just that I didn't feel that it helped me.

The best thing that has worked for me is just setting the treadmill for 45-60 minutes, walking at a pace you're briskly walking and seeing if you can complete 3.1 miles in that time frame. If you can - GREAT! If not, try to up the speed each time after until you can. Once you get the 3.1 miles in under 60 minutes, try to see if you can run the first quarter mile and walk to finish out the first mile, then run for a quarter mile and walk to finish out the second mile, etc...

My training right now has me jogging for the first mile and a half, then alternating walking and jogging every quarter mile after that, and I finish the 5k in just under 45 minutes. I'm not running lightening fast - the fastest I can handle is 5.0 MPH, but this training allows me to see that I'm finishing the entire 5k and I don't feel any pressure to do it in a short period of time.

the C25K is awesome but it is harder for the bigger folk. I have bad knees but am running a 5k March 3rd. I am training by increasing resistance and training on the elliptical. I can do 4 miles in one hour on the elliptical and as I lose more weight I plan to train on the treadmill. Go at your own pace and just keep trying. You will run.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    The first time I learned to run, I just ran as far as I could, and added a little bit of distance each week.

This time round, I've followed the Couch to 5k (C25K) programme, using a phone based app. I have to say that, while I was skeptical, I did find the C25k route better than managing my own running.

(Oh and I was still pretty big, on both occasions, and didn't find it too tough. But I was already walking several miles everyday, before I started on the running programmes.)
  • Hirundo
    Hirundo Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I agree with C25K being a really good way to start ...

BUT !!!

the pace and the augmentation of difficulty might be too fast for certain person ... Be very carefull to how you feel...
    Personnally i never hesitated to repeat the day when i wasn't happy with my run or even repeat a complete week .. or go back to the previous week because the new one was too hard ... I think if you are progressing faster than you can just because you want to follow this program at all cost you will get discouraged ...
    On the other hand, even when i was tired or sick i was still going to run, but sometime, i was picking a run from the week before, keeping in mind that it'll be better than doing nothing .. eh

I could not complete the program because it's winter here, i have asthma and i can't run below -5°C ... but i made it to week 6 and i'm planning to restart as soon the weather will let me and i plan to complete my 5km before the summer ... 10k before fall maybe.. who knows ?

My conclusion is that if you listen to yourself and use your judgement, C25K is extremely good !