Homemade Mayonnaise - Bring out the (very) best!

Options

Replies

• NKF92879
    NKF92879 Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    I think commercial mayo is made with pasteurized egg. Any time you use raw egg, you use it at your own risk, however homemade mayo sure is delicious, and this sounds great with coconut oil!

If you purchase eggs from a grocery store in the US, they are pasteurized as well.
  • firedragon064
    firedragon064 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I'll try this since I just ran out of mayo.
  • firedragon064
    firedragon064 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I'll try this since I just ran out of mayo.
    Where do you find whey?
    is it under baking food... just like baking powder jar?
  • MoneySavingLisa
    Options
    What you ever tried this without whey? Or what kind of whey do you use? I wasn't sure if it was just like the protein whey that you used? I was thinking about making this for my boyfriend.
  • xSophia19
    xSophia19 Posts: 1,536 Member
    Options
    mmm sounds nice! and much healthier than the crap in the jars!!
  • rf1170
    rf1170 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Sorry I didn't get back you sooner. I should've checked my threads lately!

I saw a couple of people asking about whey - you can certainly make mayonnaise without it, but the addition helps it to keep longer in the fridge. If you think you'll eat it within two or three weeks, it shouldn't be a problem. And since this recipe only makes about a pint, it shouldn't be hard to use it up before it goes bad (I saw mold growth on mine once, after I forgot about the last little bit in a jar for about three months. In other words, you'll know when you shouldn't eat it anymore!). If you would like to keep the mayonnaise for longer than a month, I'd recommend including the whey. Here is the advice that I gave another lady who had the same question:

"As for the whey, it's the liquid part of milk, which is separated from the solids, or curds (remember Little Miss Muffet?). The easiest way to get some is to strain some plain yogurt. Pick a brand that's good quality (I'd stay away from low-fat; they don't taste as good after they're strained), with few additives. There shouldn't be many more ingredients than milk and yogurt cultures. Line a big bowl with cheesecloth, pour the yogurt in, then tie the cloth up and let it hang for several hours. The whey will come out into the bowl, and you can keep it in the fridge for a month or so. The yogurt will be thick, like Greek-style yogurt, and you can eat it however you normally would, or use it like cream cheese."

The reason why liquid whey (not whey protein powder) helps to preserve the mayonnaise (and other food, for that matter) is because it contains beneficial bacteria (in the case of yogurt, the bacteria is usually L. acidophilus). When you add it to your mayonnaise and then leave the finished product at room temperature for several hours, you give the beneficial bacteria time to multiply, creating lactic acid, which inhibits the growth of undesirable bacteria, mold, yeast, and other organisms. You can also get the same benefit from using unpasteurized vinegar, which contains similar desirable bacteria. I like Bragg's apple cider vinegar, but any unfiltered, unpasteurized product will probably do.

I hope this was helpful! Please let me know if you have any other questions. Happy mayonnaise-making!
  • sunnybrunette126
    sunnybrunette126 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    BUMP!

My husband is allergic to onions and mayo.
    NO IDEA what is in either that he is allergic to.
    He can eat any other foods, just not those.

Thinking I should try the homemade mayo, giving him a teensy amount to try and see if it works.
    Then I could make all my favorite recipes still! (Or at least Mama's homemade potato salad.)
  • rf1170
    Options
    BUMP!

My husband is allergic to onions and mayo.
    NO IDEA what is in either that he is allergic to.
    He can eat any other foods, just not those.

Thinking I should try the homemade mayo, giving him a teensy amount to try and see if it works.
    Then I could make all my favorite recipes still! (Or at least Mama's homemade potato salad.)

Dang, that's awful! I put onions in everything. :)

I don't really know much about food allergies, but I believe true allergies are developed to proteins. The only proteins I can think of in the mayonnaise would be the ones in the egg. But if your husband can eat eggs, I guess that's not the case. Some people have unusual food sensitivities, though - maybe that's the case for him. If that's it, who knows! If you end up making this recipe and he can eat it, please let me know! That would be cool. And as for onions - have you ever tried swapping them for shallots? I have a friend who simply doesn't like the overpowering taste of onions, so she substitutes shallots with good results. They probably have fewer sulfides, which might be irritating. Just a thought.
  • sarahkatara
    sarahkatara Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    thank you!
  • Vurbach
    Vurbach Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this! I can't wait to try!!
  • jellyfishbones
    jellyfishbones Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Wonderful, thanks for sharing! I've been wanting to try an EVOO mayo but had yet to find a recipe that sounded as promising.
  • Jsoroka
    Jsoroka Posts: 14
    Options
    bump
  • daniellesb1
    daniellesb1 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Bumping, with thanks !
  • YouAreTheShit
    YouAreTheShit Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Subscribe. This is great.
  • Amber393
    Amber393 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Bumping
  • gunmetalsunrise
    Options
    How do you figure out the calories for the whey? I'm thinking of making this for myself for sammiches, and I want to put it on my recipe list. But I'm a little unsure of how to figure that out.
  • rf1170
    Options
    How do you figure out the calories for the whey? I'm thinking of making this for myself for sammiches, and I want to put it on my recipe list. But I'm a little unsure of how to figure that out.

Hmm - I'm not sure. I didn't bother to add it to the recipe myself because there's so little of it in each serving. But I found this info on self.com; I'm sure you could enter it in MFP and it would be a good guess: http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/dairy-and-egg-products/100/2

Bear in mind that this info is for 1 cup (8oz) of whey, and 1 cup = 16 Tablespoons. Don't forget to convert for your recipe!
  • Island_Style20
    Island_Style20 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I love making my own mayo! Not only is it fun to do, and you can add ANY spices you like to it, but I always feel less guilty about putting it on a sandwich. :D
  • rf1170
    Options
    How do you get 40 cals per Tbsp? If you are adding 10 Tbsp (2/3c) of oil, and one egg, wouldn't that be at the very least 80-100 cals per Tbsp?

I'm sorry, I just saw this post! I'm not sure about the math, but I've shared the info that I got when I entered the recipe into MFP. I'm guessing that the difference is a result of the increased volume of the finished mayonnaise. I used 2/3 cup of oils, one egg, and a Tablespoon or so of other ingredients, but the finished product is two cups. I suspect it's because of the emulsion, but I'm not positive. Here's a screenshot of the recipe in MFP:

Screen%252520shot%2525202012-01-09%252520at%2525209.22.15%252520AM.png