Walking Weights?

Options
I've been contemplating getting some of these light weights so that I can take them along with me when I go for my walks. I heard that they are good for toning your arms which I REALLY want. Just wondering if the nice people of MFP would share their experiences.

Replies

• Kateinprogress
    Options
    I've heard that they actually are not that good for most people. The amount of extra calories they burn is minimal. Honestly if you want toned arms start doing push ups and planks. I do a few sets of them randomly through the day and am strong enough to do pull ups+ chin ups now! If you want more of a challenge while walking try increasing your speed and/ or finding inclines. Since I have serious knee issues I used walking as my primary source of exercise, I started barely at 3.5 miles per hour and 6 months later can walk 4.3! Hope that helps! :)
  • SnuggleXPuff
    SnuggleXPuff Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I've heard that they actually are not that good for most people. The amount of extra calories they burn is minimal. Honestly if you want toned arms start doing push ups and planks. I do a few sets of them randomly through the day and am strong enough to do pull ups+ chin ups now! If you want more of a challenge while walking try increasing your speed and/ or finding inclines. Since I have serious knee issues I used walking as my primary source of exercise, I started barely at 3.5 miles per hour and 6 months later can walk 4.3! Hope that helps! :)

Ah, okay. Yeah I can't really run at the moment since I've just started (that and my asthma likes to kick up) but I do sort of speed walk most of the time. I have also been doing planks daily and my arms have been feeling stronger.