Can you lose a lot of weight with just walking?!?

Options
I don't have much options for a different type of exercise during the week and on the weekends im home with my 3 yr old. We don't have the money for a gym membership so I just walk a lot during the week and if im up to it zumba on the weekends for 20 to 25 min at a time. Will i be able to keep losing weight with just walking? I tried running but i hurt really bad for over a week straight so don't think i wanna try that again for a while. What do you mfp's think? So far since starting i have lost about a lb a week. But didn't know if i will stop losing like this if i don't change things up?

Replies

• aleatha5
    aleatha5 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I did when I was younger. When I started college I was 185 (higher even than now after having two kids!)
    and I resolved I would change myself. I started with my diet first over the summer break and when I went to college I just walked everywhere, no buses! By the end of my first year of school I was down to 148. At that point, I did start running, but it didn't feel hard (like it always had). Good luck! Walking is a great way to fit exercise in.

PS I'm back to walking, since I have 2 munchkins, I just don't have a lot of options right now and I need an activity I can do with them. Friend me if you like and we can keep each other motivated to walk!
  • pretty_ribbons
    pretty_ribbons Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Im in the same boat as you, i have a 2 yr old at home with me all day, and gym is just too expensive for me, i have started back trying to lose weight only from the beginning of the year and i personal dont feel like the walking is enough for me so when ever im at home i try my best to do more exercise, i would exercise at home for about an hour most days

i think you should see how it goes the way your doing it for a few weeks and if you feel you need to step it up then do abit more, all the best :smile:
  • sagetracey
    sagetracey Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Walking is definitely the best place to start. As you get fitter you will be able to walk faster and longer, up hill etc. These will mix up your walk and allow you to challenge yourself further. If your children are old enough, get them to ride their bikes or scooters while you walk and you will soon be chasing them!

Good luck
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I do no exercise but walking because I have a joint condition and am on doctor's orders. I swim sometimes when I have access to a pool but that's about it. I don't really recommend doing so little, obviously more exercise is better if you can, but weight loss can be achieved without the really strenuous stuff.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I don't have much options for a different type of exercise during the week and on the weekends im home with my 3 yr old. We don't have the money for a gym membership so I just walk a lot during the week and if im up to it zumba on the weekends for 20 to 25 min at a time. Will i be able to keep losing weight with just walking? I tried running but i hurt really bad for over a week straight so don't think i wanna try that again for a while. What do you mfp's think? So far since starting i have lost about a lb a week. But didn't know if i will stop losing like this if i don't change things up?
    Walking is all I did starting out.
    YES you can:smile:
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    I lost 30 pounds a few years back with walking about an hour a day 4-5 times a week being my primary source of exercise.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    If you're eating correctly you can do, or not do anything, and lose weight.

My wife lost 40 lbs and the most strenous thing she did is take walks in the evening.
  • bullsands
    Options
    YES U CAN.. I have lost 20 + kgs and still loosing with controlled calorie count ..sensible eating, monitoring the carbs , sugar and fat, proteins limits with only walking. The idea is to in the same time make the pace and time increase the distance slowly and steadily over a period of time.
  • sister_bear
    sister_bear Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I can't do much more than walk, so I walk. Walking is good.
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Yes.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Until the days got too short to exercise outdoors after work, walking was my primary form of exercise. I lost 35+ pounds that way. I walk pretty fast 4-4.25 mph and climb lots of hills (I live in the mountains). The way I walk, I can burn about 600 calories an hour. That kind of calorie burn makes it easy to lose weight. :-)
  • jmduvall22
    jmduvall22 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    It can definitely be done. I have lost 103 lbs. And I started out by walking a minimum of 30 minutes each day (more as of late). The pace has definitely increased over the past year, though. The only thing is recently the cold weather has been annoying.
  • MRSnotMsSmoot
    Options
    I hope so! that's what i'm doing. 3 miles 3-4 times a week walk/jog. :happy:
  • PetersonMatthew
    Options
    Walking is a great start!! I started with walking and food logging. Worked great. Now I have a 14 month old boy who loves to go on walks,so it works out for the both of us.
  • mich7500
    Options
    Yes! Even though I don't look like l know what I'm talking about, the key is to just keep moving. Walking is great. You should also try lifting weights with can goods or dumbells or other things you have around the house. This is my first day on MFP and I am looking forward to the weight loss journey.
  • rosalieharris
    rosalieharris Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I have lost 51 lbs by counting my calories on here and walking. I love it. I do change up where I walk, so I don't get bored!! As long as you are moving and feeling better, that is what matters! Keep on going.. God Bless:)
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Walking is a very good exercise for those who can't handle higher-impact workouts. Just go faster and longer as you progress.

Good work!
  • soccermom004
    soccermom004 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    What you eat and calories has more to do with weight loss than exercise. Exercise will firm and tone those muscles and is important for overall health. Try to walk at least 30 minutes a day.
  • Adobogirl
    Adobogirl Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Walking is so underrated. YES, it does help. A friend of mine on here aims for 10K steps (she keeps track using a pedometer) and that right there is some serious calorie burnage. Personally, I've been walking to work (1 mile) each day and lost 7 lbs over 2 months. My ankles can't take running just yet but I'm hoping that if I continue to lighten up I can start up running soon.
  • DelSchro
    DelSchro Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I totally think that walking is a great way to burn calories! Especially if you are walking at a fast pace like 4.0.

I would also challenge you to start running even though your body is telling you different in the beginning. I never thought I would be a runner. I was that girl in gym class that walked the mile ;) however I challenged myself to step outside of my comfort zone a few months ago when I started back at MFP and I am now running 3-5 days a week for 30 minutes at a time! When I started I thought I was going to die but I told myself it would only get easier and it has! Plus if you only have 30 minutes to workout then running will increase your calories burned.

Any little thing helps so continue moving and watching what you eat and track your calories!
    If you need any support you can add me as a friend! :)

-Delaney