What do you do with/for your sagging belly?!

Options
I have lost some weight last year (not even much about 12 lbs) and already have a pretty saggy looking belly. Wondering if anyone has had this and what you do to help with it. I hear exfoliation.. and lotion... but anything specific?! :-) Thanks and good luck to all!

Replies

• MommyTKD
    MommyTKD Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Core exercises will help you tighten from the inside out. Crunches, leg lifts, any exercise that works your core muscles will help rebuild. Good luck!
  • 2Bgoddess
    2Bgoddess Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    I might start saving for a tummy tuck....
  • DanceForever904
    DanceForever904 Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    i use dial firming lotion i love it
  • thpeek
    thpeek Posts: 76
    Options
    I had a tummy tuck back in 2000, best decision that I ever made!
  • 2fit4fat
    2fit4fat Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Ya im hoping not to do it surgically (although after giving birth to 6 kids in 5 years i may not have a choice) but after the twins I was able to get back down ( i had twins and then not quite ten months later another and then had a break)

BUT i weigh more now then i did 40 weeks preggo with the twins *sigh* so fingers crossed. I will do everything in my power to not do it surgically since its just basically a cosmetic issue but i guess ill cross that bridge if/when it gets here. lol im just not a big hospital person and have never ever had surgery.
  • ChristyU74
    ChristyU74 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I'd say try everything you can with diet and exercise before you consider surgery. I'm not opposed to surgery in any way, but I feel like there are safer routes to try first. Cardio, strength training, and Pilates definitely can't hurt. The plank pose may help, too! I know it's frustrating...I've lost about 20 lbs and most everything is firming up, but the tummy is still not where I'd like it to be. It's much improved, but not as flat as before kids. Good luck! :smile:
  • brooke_g0501
    brooke_g0501 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Lotions & exfoliating wont get rid of a tummy. It will give you nice, smooth skin though! :) I went to school for skin care & of course lotions only help the outside, not the inside. I read that eating certain cheese helps you to lose around the middle. Any core exercises are helpful as well! Good luck!
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    All of the above. A few years ago when I dropped a good bit of weight a dermatologist suggested a lotion that had retinol in it for the skin recovery. Pricy, but it did seem to help. I was also suggested (not by the doc) a LIGHT support panty...not one that you can't breath in... to be worn as much as possible to encourage the skin to "shrink". The panty did help even things out along the backside where I lost unevenly and had an odd shape.
  • heather7131
    Options
    I haven't got to that point yet but if I ever get a saggy belly or boobs, I'm having surgery! They have layaway plans! :)
  • Mirabilis
    Mirabilis Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Hmmm... what would I do with a sagging belly? (yes I have one and it's the bane of my existence)

This is theoretical, mind you....

hit a mugger with it.

Mirii
  • 1Timothy4v8
    1Timothy4v8 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I heard the faster you lose weight and the older you are the longer it takes the skin to catch up with the new size of your body, sooo I would say no surgery, I heard many times from muscle builder people abbs start in the kitchen so research what food are best for a lean trim mid section and what works wonders for getting that tummy in shape is Pilates, I am telling you those work outs are the best, a couple yrs ago I did them every day and although the rest of me was over weight I had a flat tum tum, and everything is so much easier when your core is strong, but you need to give you skin time to catch up with the rest of your body
  • thpeek
    thpeek Posts: 76
    Options
    If your issue is a just a fat poochy belly, then diet and excercise will help, however stretched out damaged skin and seperated stomach muscles from having babies is not going away, MOST women once they lose all the fat they have a huge FLAP of hanging skin left and it is not going anywhere no matter what you do.

I had 3 babies and went from 175 to 115 and I carried around my wonderful flap of excess skin for 2 years trying everything to get rid of it plus my stomach muscles were seperated over 2 inches which caused the pooch. A lot of people do not understand how all of this works and they assume that a lean diet and plenty of excercise will get rid of the FLAP and bring their stomach muscles back together.

I researched it for over a year before I went to see a Surgeon. Since my stomach muscles were seperated and the FLAP of skin caused additional problems my Health insurance (United Healthcare) paid every penny for the surgery. When it was all done and said I had 4 lbs of excess skin removed from my stomach, a new beautiful belly button and all my nasty stretch marks were gone.

I woke up from surgery in tears of happiness because I looked down and seen this tiny little Corset around my belly and I actually had my tiny waist back, I lost two inches of width around my middle since the Doctor brought my stomach muscles back together and I lost 2 pant sizes because I got rid of the excess skin. It was the best decision for me, I could not be happier with the results. I gained some weight back after being diagnosed with a thyroid problem and PCO but I never gained any weight back in my tummy, it was still flat even after gaining back some of the weight that I had lost. My scar is low and can not be seen in a 2 piece bathing suit. I was only in the hospital over night, it was not that traumatic of a surgery.
  • jatc2224
    jatc2224 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I had a tummy tuck back in 2000, best decision that I ever made!

I agree 100% - I had mine in 2007.
  • MelMoly
    MelMoly Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    When I look at the mommy smile... I am sad, sometimes I cry... but I have a feeling one day it will be gone....so I'll keep kicking *kitten* and working hard
  • MaryDreamer
    Options
    I had a tummy tuck in 2006. Tried everything diet and exercise first.
  • beckylawrence70
    beckylawrence70 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    If exercise doesn't get rid of it, probably the only other alternative would be a tummy tuck......and no lotion or any topical cream is going to get rid of it......if that was the case, no one would have this problem.... :)
  • rachelmarie1
    rachelmarie1 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    i just started incorporating a quick 6 minute butt blast into my routine with the jillians 30 day shred. i think it works your butt, your abs, and your thighs. The jillians 30ds hits all these areas in 20 minutes, so im spending 26 min working all my areas... i highly recomend it and think it will be beneficial for the tummy... as long as you are tightening your abs and not cheating during crunches... just keep thinking QUALITY over QUANTITY.... better to get used to doing them correctly then adding to them. good luck!!:flowerforyou:

Here's the link:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QU5oOIk9CfQ
  • momma_roo
    momma_roo Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    When I am sure %100 percent that I am not having anymore babies then I will get a tummy tuck. When I do push ups I have skin that hangs down about 4 inches. It makes me very insecure :(
  • gazz777
    gazz777 Posts: 722
    Options
    Bump
  • cerrajean
    cerrajean Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    SPANX are far cheaper and safer than a tummy tuck. :)

That's what I'm using to smooth out my weird transition pooches.