Is This Like my Dr said - Worthless Exercise!?

Options

Replies

• staps065
    staps065 Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    All exercise / movement is worthwhile. Walking to and from work or on breaks adds up and provides needed movement and calorie burn. Of course, 30-60 minutes of exercise is perferable, but any exercise is good for you...
  • Jessie544
    Jessie544 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    You know, I'm overweight. 65 lbs overweight. I speed walk to and from work. I don't walk slowly. My heart pounds, and I am sweating and out of breath. I have to change because of it by the time I get to work or back home. Walking briskly is a truly hard workout for me. I'm OUT OF SHAPE. That's why my car looks so darned good, as I choose to pass by it.

I'm frustrated with my doctor for not supporting me. Can I do better? Yes. But with 9 children and a 60 hour work week, working nights, I still think I'm doing darned good.

I also do rounds several times a night (I'm a nurse), and I have 2 solid hours at work where I am on my feet running, caring for patients, moving them, lifting them, etc...

It is HARD to find TIME to do more at home. I go home, wind down (as I am now), then sleep til the afternoon. Then it's running around trying to take care of all my responsibilitiers before picking up kids, making supper, cleaning house and getting ready for another worknight.

I get a day off every 9 days. On my day off, I admit to catching up on some rest. Maybe I could force myself to do a cardio workout on that day, instead.

All in all, thank you for the validation.

It sounds idiotic to you doing things much more athletic/active, but I feel GOOD when I get to work, and I feel GOOD when I come home. That short, hard walk makes me feel like I'm at least TRYING. And when I add up my calories, I am happy, happy, happy when I do well! :-)

You GO girl! Your doctor just may not have the "bedside manner" to be as supportive as you'd expect him/her to be after accomplishing something that almost NO ONE does anymore and is really a major change for your normal routine. Commuting places by foot is unheard of nowadays, and I give you MAJOR props for doing that, especially on shift work and with so many kids! Don't let one small comment like that from your doctor bring you down, MFP is definitely the place to come to get a pick me up. ANY physical activity will help you, especially SPEED walking.

I'm personally proud of you, no matter what the doc says... you're doing great! It takes A LOT of will power to walk by that car, I'm sure, so keep it up! The longer you do it, then it will become a habit and it'll be cake! And if nothing else, you'll save some gas!

Keep up the great work and will power, and good luck in your journey!
  • cunninjd
    Options
    Walking to work it awesome! I wish I could! Not to mention it helps decrease your carbon footprint. I have always believed that there is no wasted exercise. Remember that the point of exercise is exercise.....not weight loss! The body can still benefit from any exercise even if you don't lose weight. I work in cardiology as a nurse practitioner and see way too often how deconditioning of the body can be a person's downfall. If your doctor is not right for you, then go find yourself a great NP that will be behind you every step of the way!
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    It sounds idiotic to you doing things much more athletic/active, but I feel GOOD when I get to work, and I feel GOOD when I come home. That short, hard walk makes me feel like I'm at least TRYING. And when I add up my calories, I am happy, happy, happy when I do well! :-)

It doesn't sound idiotic to me at all. I used to be really out of shape, and started just by doing a similar walk. Anything that reminds you you're changing your life and making healthier decisions sounds like a win to me. For me, being healthy isn't so much about big decisions, as all the little decisions you make all day, every day. By walking, you're starting and ending your day with a good decision. It also has other advantages:
    - Stress relief, even a few minutes of exercise and quiet may help with this, and it sounds like you might need some (or at least I would if I had 9 kids and a 60 hour work week).
    - If the alternative is not doing anything at all, then even a short walk is an improvement.
    - It also saves fuel, road traffic, congestion, etc.. Even if it's only a short drive, that's something.

It also sounds like you do quite a bit of physical work as part of your job, don't discount that, even if it's not conventional "exercise." Finally, if you're tired on your day off, remember that rest and sleep are important too.

P.S. Your doctor really needs to work on his or her bedside manner.
  • thor1god1of1awesome
    thor1god1of1awesome Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Healthier for you and the environment! Not to mention your wallet, saving a little gas money here and there always helps. Don't seen any downside to it other than possibly having to find another doctor.

agreed
    Walking to work it awesome! I wish I could! Not to mention it helps decrease your carbon footprint. I have always believed that there is no wasted exercise. Remember that the point of exercise is exercise.....not weight loss! The body can still benefit from any exercise even if you don't lose weight. I work in cardiology as a nurse practitioner and see way too often how deconditioning of the body can be a person's downfall. If your doctor is not right for you, then go find yourself a great NP that will be behind you every step of the way!

agree with this also! your doing great
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    Your doctor is a wanker. That's not to say he/she isn't right that you can always do more, as above poster said, it's a great start and anything is better than nothing! It's all in the delivery of the message. His/her "bedside" manner is obviously lacking.

Ha! I agree!
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    You do need a better doctor though. There is no excuse for him peeing all over your good work and motivation. If he looks smug when he says it, he likely needs a swift kick up the backside on your way out the door too.

Doctors often have no idea what you're going through. The term "lifestyle choice" is a facile cliche. This is hard freaking work and you should be getting credit for it. As you get stronger you do more, of course, but I bet if that doc had to go for a 30 minute walk with a 30 pound bag of kitty litter on his shoulders, he might be more supportive.

Mirii

Yes. :flowerforyou: This.

Every new step you take is a new victory. If he can't see that, he's an insensitive jerk. You keep going & prove him wrong! :smile:
  • Amy911Gray
    Amy911Gray Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    I consulted my clock over the fireplace...the hands are pointing to "Time to get a new Doctor".

In 2002 I had my first professional review. I was so ashamed of it. It contained all of the things that I had done wrong, stated I had not tried to learn, that I didn't strive to get better. The review was presented by a partner that never ever had to work a day in his life and said that I should quit and "find myself". And the bottom line, not promoted and no pay raise like everyone else in my year.

My mom said this...Any review or critique from a professional should strive to let the person know what they did well AND have a go forward plan. It should NEVER be critical of any effort.

EVERY effort that you do from this point on should be an encouragement to you. STRIVE to be better of course, but cherish each effort, each milestone, each accomplishment.

Now I have a sedentary job and led a very "still" life with eating. This led to gaining upward to 255 lbs. I have taken each day at a time since August and I will tell you that this lifestyle change is hard, tough, painful and challenging. But the rewards are great...YOU are doing a GREAT job!!!

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!!!!!:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • epoeraven
    epoeraven Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Go Google "10 minute walks". It brings up numerous websites that tout that any kind of exercise is good for you. Your doctor is wrong that it is doing you no good.

Is he right that 30 minutes would be better? Probably. But you have to start somewhere!!! Maybe once you get in a routine you could start taking the long way home and add a few blocks to get more time in.
  • helenoftroy1
    helenoftroy1 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    you know this really p***ses me off! Doctors sometimes are completely useless! Any form of exercise is good and if you usually drive and you're walking WAY TO GO YOU!!!! My best friend is a morbidly obese doctor and she says herself she finds it hard criticising others when she herself is so badly overweight but she does it anyway.
    It's a fantastic start and once you have cracked that the world is your oyster and you may feel more motivated to walk further and faster. Your doctor telling you it's pointless is the quickest way to get you back in that car.
    Ignore her, if you're raising a sweat, or moving it's better than all those sat on the couch!
    grrrrrr. *waves fist in air!*
    :mad:
  • monkeymouse74
    Options
    Any physical activity over and above your usual daily activity should be considered exercise. So your walk to work and back definately counts! :heart: You would however see more results by doing 30min continuously. But I found if someone preaches at me about what THEY think I should be doing, It put's me off doing it alltogether.:tongue: Don't let this silly person effect your chance to change!

I had a doctor who made a really mean comment about my bmi (said it would be normal if I was about 7ft tall, I'm 5.4).:sad: I went straight to the shop and bought a bunch of junk food. And sitting in my car with this packet on my lap, I made the decision not to let him have that kind of power over me.:noway: I threw the packet (with all the food in it) away, And despite his arrogance chose to take back my life.:drinker:

I hope you dont let an arrogant/ignorant doctor steel your motivation for change.:flowerforyou:
  • vegamy
    vegamy Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    No. Something is always better than nothing. I agree that you should try to increase the amount of time that you exercise, but as a start, every little bit helps - even if it's just taking the stairs instead of the elevator, walking to work, whatever. Good for you, and don't give up!
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    No you're Doctor is an arsehole and you need to get referred to a new GP if (s)he's going to do nothing more than berate you for trying to make a start.

While a 12min walk to a fit person is not going to be worth a heck of a lot in the grand scheme of things, to the larger person with lots to lose it's a definite start and from little acorns, mighty oaks do grow.

Soon those 12min walks will be a stroll and you'll be going out a lunch-break and walking for 30-40mins. And from that you can build up and increase the amount of exercise you do.

The very fact that you're here and willing to take things to the next level shows commitment.

Well done!!! :flowerforyou:
  • cecilia0909
    cecilia0909 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    What a di**. You have to start somewhere and walking to work is better than doing nothing. The doctor should have (IMO), "Great start! Now let's see if we can get that to 30 minutes of walking each day"
  • JoDeeD
    JoDeeD Posts: 391
    Options
    I can't believe a dr would actually say that any movement is useless. They say that just getting up during commercials and doing squats is better than just sitting. You are on the right track. Soon your 12 minute walk will be a 6 minute walk and you will feel much better too!
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Your doctor is a wanker. That's not to say he/she isn't right that you can always do more, as above poster said, it's a great start and anything is better than nothing! It's all in the delivery of the message. His/her "bedside" manner is obviously lacking.
    My doctor told me I was fat!
    Then he spelled it out: F.A.T. -- FAT!
    F is for "fatal
    A is for "awful"
    T is for "terrible"

You are FAT!
    Then he went on to explain the consequences and medications I'd be on, adding "but if you lose 50 lbs, none of this will happen".

Poor bedside manor? Sure.
    I thanked him for that.
    And I've lost 67 lbs so far - and am medication FREE!

Bedside manor is for those who are lost causes. I pay my doctor to be truthful - not friendly.
  • dakitten2
    dakitten2 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    You have to start somewhere and walking is a good place to start. Anything you are doing is better than what you didnt do before. Your doctor probably meant that you werent getting your heart rate up with a short walk but in my opinion start slow and build up. When I started it was baby steps all the way. I had not exercised one bit in a zillion years it seems. So I was huffing and puffing just getting to our mail kiosk and back. Dont get discouraged. You know your body and add to what you are doing at the pace best for you.
  • mlke4258
    Options
    I don't know your situation but I think it is just his way of telling you that you need to step it up! Sure, anything is better than nothing but that's about it. You might meet your goals from walking less than 30 mins a day in about 100yrs. It is very simple, and again I don't know your situation; so I say this as a general statement. The whole objective in any cardio Excercise is to elevate your heart rate and keep it elevated for a period time to be beneficial. I think your Doc was just being very upfront and abrupt with you. He is only trying to help you and put your situation into perspective for you. Good luck to you..
  • rochey1098
    Options
    Every story has a beginning. It's clear that you don't intend to only walk for 12 minutes for the rest of your life so tell the certified social retard that he needs to work on his interpretation skills :laugh:
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    It's not worthless, just walk