I think im doomed :(

Options
Are there others like me? Smokers who just want to start a healthy life?

My choice to quit smoking doesnt seem to help me from my food cravings. Its so hard to start the two together.

Am i being too hard on myself? Should i quit smoking first or just concentrate on my diet?

Will appreciate support and advices. Tia

Replies

• BeachyBecky
    BeachyBecky Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, I know it is tough. I haven't smoked in years since my early twenties but definetly know its hard to quit. Don't really have any great advice for you, but wish you the best of luck!
  • lovelyrose11
    lovelyrose11 Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    First, congrats on your journey to be healthier! I think you should def focus on your diet and maybe not go cold turkey on the smoking. Maybe cut it down a lil each week until it's out of your life???
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,366 Member
    Options
    I've never been a smoker, but I'd say that if you decide to work on the diet separately after you've quit, just make sure to log your food. Go in to settings and set yourself at maintenance so you don't feel stressed out further by the number. Log every day, even if you go over. This habit is good, and you'll be on the right track when you're ready to start losing weight.
  • mandylooo
    mandylooo Posts: 456 Member
    Options

My choice to quit smoking doesnt seem to help me from my food cravings. Its so hard to start the two together.

Am i being too hard on myself? Should i quit smoking first or just concentrate on my diet?

If you're not dangerously obese, I'd suggest giving up smoking first - the less you have to lose the more true this is. It isn't uncommon to put on weight whilst giving up smoking (I did) so why have to do it twice?

Also, if you are not very overweight your biggest health risk is the smoking, which is another good reason to deal with that first.
  • colleen1106
    colleen1106 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking on december 28th, and started working out and eating better the same day. I don't know if it was the best idea, but it seems to be going okay for me. I figured that if I just quit smoking I would put on some extra weight so why not try to do both at the same time. I feel wonderful!! Its definately hard but you just have to take it one step at a time, don't worry about not smoking all day worry about the moment.
  • mandylooo
    mandylooo Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking on december 28th, and started working out and eating better the same day. I don't know if it was the best idea, but it seems to be going okay for me. I figured that if I just quit smoking I would put on some extra weight so why not try to do both at the same time. I feel wonderful!! Its definately hard but you just have to take it one step at a time, don't worry about not smoking all day worry about the moment.

Fair point - if you can do both at once, then you should, but if you have to prioritise one, make it the smoking.
  • sonjawi
    sonjawi Posts: 46
    Options
    I quit smoking two months ago. It definitely is not easier to try to get your eating habits in good order right after it - however, it has a huge benefit to "clean up your life" on all levels. I did not want to add more weight to my waistline and that is why I chose to look at my lifestyle and try to get my big butt off the couch. I am not quite there yet, but at least I am trying :). Food is for me not a cold turkey thing as smoking was. I can slowly adapt my habits, and every little change is a step in the right direction. So, take it easy! And don't be surprised if you get as cranky and moody as when you try quitting smoking. After all, for many of us smokers food is the substitute for the other addiction at least for a while, and we just kind of shift. So we have to quit another addiction...even if its a milder one, hopefully :)
  • thor1god1of1awesome
    thor1god1of1awesome Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    to me both is extremely hard. I am chewer (i know ew) and I been trying to quite on and off. It sucks. So I suggest you focus on quitting, look around for different programs that can help. I wish you the best of luck in your health.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options

Smoking is the single worse act a person can engage.
    Quit today.

The way I see it, if you smoke, eat anything you want, exercise or don't exercise.
    It just won't matter.

You are ruining your health, and nothing but quitting will arrest that process.
  • Jenninedinburgh
    Jenninedinburgh Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I quit when I turned 30...it was the hardest thing I've ever done....I would say quit smoking first, give it your priority. Know and understand that it might take a few attempts until you are free, but KEEP trying. The energy you will have once you quit and your body is getting the oxygen it needs will naturally make you more active and in a better place to go for your next goal of losing weight :)
  • Jenninedinburgh
    Jenninedinburgh Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I quit when I turned 30...it was the hardest thing I've ever done....I would say quit smoking first, give it your priority. Know and understand that it might take a few attempts until you are free, but KEEP trying. The energy you will have once you quit and your body is getting the oxygen it needs will naturally make you more active and in a better place to go for your next goal of losing weight :)

Also I highly recommend a book - I tried to quit several times and was finally successful when I read this book - Alan Carr's Easy Way to Stop Smoking -

http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?hl=en&cp=36&gs_id=2&xhr=t&q=alan+carr's+easy+way+to+quit+smoking&pq=alan+carr's+easy+way+to+quit+smoking&rlz=1C1CHES_en-GBGB374&gs_upl=&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&biw=1280&bih=685&ion=1&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=11565542622509845503&sa=X&ei=M58JT_7WAsOIhQeGyd2_CQ&sqi=2&ved=0CD8Q8wIwAQ
  • MicheleHand
    Options
    You are not doomed! You can do this! Each healthy choice you make every time is a step in the right direction. Each time you choose to eat the right thing rather than the wrong thing and each time you say no to a smoke it is as well. You can do both - just one decision at a time. It helps if you grab a water whenever you want the wrong thing. Your body always needs the water and you cannot eat or smoke with a mouth full of water. Good luck!
  • bjshields
    bjshields Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I quit 25 years ago, and I sometimes still have dreams that I'm sneaking a ciggie! I find it disgusting now, so your body will change. Good luck to you!:smile:
  • OxleyT6899
    Options
    In hard times like this people tell you to go to things you love. And for most people ( or me at least ) its food. But I found a way around that. I found my favorite hard candy ( jolly ranchers ) and got the sugar free kind. They taste just the same as the regular kind, the only diffrence is that the regular kind has 25 calories and this kind has 5. I could eat basically however many I wanted. And the good thing about hard candy is that you don't chew it so the sensation stays in your mouth for a long time. Hope this helps!

- Taylor
  • jsuaccounting
    jsuaccounting Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    It is tough. I managed to quit but did gain weight.

I would quit smoking first and then work on diet. If you get your diet right and then quit smoking - you'll just have to re-adjust your diet anyway. Some people can do both by developing an obsecion for a sport or exercise.
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    I never smoked but my husband used to smoke 4-5 packs a day :noway: and he quit in conjunction with working out. He cut back a lot, but realized the he couldn't get a good workout in if he couldn't breathe so so a few months, every time he wanted a cigarette, he hit the gym. He hasn't smoked in nearly 2 years because he enjoys being able to work out. It was probably easier because he was deployed and wasn't distracted by family or other things. I don't know if it helps but maybe its inspirational.
  • revren10
    revren10 Posts: 116
    Options
    every time you want a cigarette drink water
  • kezza2002
    Options
    Hi there. Well done on deciding to make you life a healthier one.

Trying to quit smoking and losing weight at the same time is very hard. Each one is hard enough on their own.

When I quit smoking 6 years ago I decided to give myself 6 months before I even contemplated losing any weight. And boy did I rediscover my sweet tooth the minute I stopped putting those toxic ingredients into my body. I ended up putting on some more weight with cravings for Mr Kipling Angel Slices.

I then started on my weight loss, which even now is still hard. I've still not made it to my target weight but that is a whole other story.

I agree with the others you must stop the smoking first. The damage smoking does to your lungs is bad. Just google smoker's lung and you'll see the pictures which show you what I mean. I'm just so glad I stopped.

Good luck. xx
  • angeldelight13
    angeldelight13 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    im currently 185lbs and tomorrow i will be phoning the Dr for an appointment to start on there quit smoking program. The way i did things was i gave myself a goal of 14lbs to lose then i would quit, my lodgic in doing so? The way i see it is iv now got a stone to play with if i eat more when i quit, but also iv worked bloody hard to lose that weight, so do i really want to gain it back by quitting? NO! It should be enough to make me really think about what im eating in the process of quitting.
    I wish you a lot of luck, we all know its bad for us, so even if we do put on some weight we will be taking a very big step towards a healthy future =)
    Feel free to add me for support x
  • polar135
    polar135 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Not doomed. You just have to decide when you want to quit and then doit. i personally hit my weight loss goal first, then started trying to quit. I used chantix to quit, but thats not for everyone.

If i had to go back, i would have quit and continue to diet.