Calories burned - not in the gym

Options
The weather here in the midwest has been very mild this winter - My husband and I did a ton of heavy yard work yesterday and I worked my 'fanny' off how can I count those calories burned during this tough workout. I understand it is not lifting wts and running on a tredmill but I will tell you I burned calories. I googled this subject and it looks like I burned upwards of 400 calories an hour. I worked 3 hours straight and drank 3 bottles of water. Can I get credit for this somewhere in this program?

Replies

• horsiegall
    Options
    put under mowing lawn general 60=340 cals burned better to go lower
  • ptamt65
    Options
    Thanks so much - although that really does not give justice to the workout - pulling and dragging of limbs and heavy debris. At least this will allow me to count those calories. I am back at it today at a much lower scale. The heavy work was done yesterday, today more of the tedious stuff. Thanks again.
  • Fitformykids
    Options
    I agree with horsiegall. There are several options as far as logging it. If you do not have a heart rate monitor it is better to under estimate the cals burned.
  • brooke0206
    brooke0206 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    The only wy to really know for sure is to purchase a hert rate monitor with watch and chest strap as they are the most accurate. I have a polar ft4 and love it! I like knowing what I'm burning because everyone's body is different and MFP's calculations are just a general estimation.
  • ptamt65
    Options
    Is there a way to chart specific cals burned if I would purchase a heart monitor (in MyFitnessPal)?
  • bodyrokk
    bodyrokk Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    its hard to tell exactly what u burn ,i got a bodymedia and it tells me what i burn all day ,before i got it i was really under eating .Now that i see im burning alot more than i thought i can eat more and still lose
  • djfgirl
    Options
    i believe that any time you raise your heart rate for 30 mins and keep it up over thirty minute you are burning calories, you should be able to look it up on about any fitness websit or web md to figure out how many calories you have burned, itsalso available through here, when you add exercise go to the search and type up 3hour cardio exercise and see where it takes you.. good luck.. i burn 677 calroeis in 45 miutes of bicycling fast pace...
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    Is there a way to chart specific cals burned if I would purchase a heart monitor (in MyFitnessPal)?
    you can create your own exercises and use that to track your calories burned based on your HRM, or you can just use entries that are already there and just edit calories burned if your HRM gives a different number (which mine usually does... sometimes more, sometimes less). i also log some yard work, lawn mowing, raking leaves... try searching for yard work - vigorous in the database :)