UK Members, need your advice about London.

Options
dmpizza
dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
We were considering making our first trip to London in the summer of 2012.,
We just remembered that the Olympics are next summer in London.
We are New Yorkers, so we can handle crowded and crazy, but do you think London will be insane?
Will we be able to enjoy non-olympic attractions?
We intend on finding a place where we can walk or train everywhere, we do not want to drive.

We are a fit couple in their 40's with a teenager.

What do you think?

Replies

• chicky89
    chicky89 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Im not from there, but you will have TONS of fun! I went there this past summer, and wish I could go back!!
  • LilMissFoodie
    LilMissFoodie Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I love London (and live in London) but it is really busy in the summer (as I'm sure is New York). I imagine that it is going to be especially crazy with the Olympics on as I am guessing that visitors to the Olympics will also be wanting to see some of the other attractions. I am dreading it and hoping to get out at that time haha! If you don't come while the Olympics is actually on then perhaps it will just be a usual summer level of busy-ness. Hope you enjoy it if you do end up coming though :)

Edited to add: you could pretty much stay anywhere and not have to drive - it's really not a driving city which I love!
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Hey. I work in relocation and have been explaining to our clients that June - September is a terrible time to come over. The transport system is going to be absolutely unusable with millions of extra passengers, 60% of all hotels are booked out already and the prices of EVERYTHING will be sky high. I would strongly advise you to come before or after the Jubilee / Olympics / Paralympics period. Sorry!
  • katemateg
    katemateg Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    If its possible London is nicest in Spring. We tend to have the best weather then. April last year was gorgeous and a lot hotter and sunnier than our summer. I imagine accommodation will be ridiculously expensive then as at a premium from the Olympics. You'll have a brill time either way though :)
  • agentscully514
    agentscully514 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    It is always busy, but I think it will be completely insane during the Olympics. Could be good, could be bad. You might want to check hotels now to see if they are already booked.
  • angeldelight13
    angeldelight13 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Come to London lol
    Most of the Olympic attractions wont be in central London anyway! If you stay in Central London you can get around really easy, i wouldnt suggest driving at all, you throw a stone in London and you hit a tube or bus stop! I will imagin there will be extra people this summer but you should be able to enjoy a lot of the attractions, where abouts do you want to visit?
    And some advice, wonder around and get yourself a bit lost, Its full of hidden attractions, things you would never expect to find, also do you reaserch, some of our top attractions are free.
  • paulyarwooduk
    Options
    Hi,

I live on the south coast of the UK (near Southampton) and I love London.

You say that you are considering it...if you haven't booked a hotel you will likely have no chance of finding somewhere in London now, at least at a reasonable price. London is busy in the summer anyway and with the Olympics on I would want to go no where near it. Consider also that prices in London are shocking but the Olympics will be the excuse to hike them up. The trains and buses in London are pretty good (I usually walk places though) but will be busier this summer.

I should wait and go in September instead plus the weather is often better in September. You'll have a great time whenever you go! :o)
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Please do come, London is a beautiful city (as is New York).

I am local to the Olympic site, but would recommend staying more centrally in London (Bloomsbury / South Kensington / Victoria) which will be akin to staying in Manhatton, has good transport links both to Stratford and to other attractions. I would recommend using the underground to travel as quicker and relatively safe (although busier).

Stratford itself has changed, but is based in East London (where I have lived all my life) which is best described as a poorer part of London. Stratford now boasts a wonderful new shopping and entertainment centre and there will be a new park, so plenty to do in the area. Take the time to visit some of the bars / pubs in Stratford (I recommend King Eddies which also serves great food). Away from Stratford, there are some wonderful shopping areas in the West End, plenty of theatres, museums, art galleries and parks.

Need any more info, let me know.
  • loulou2085
    Options
    If u plan to stay in london, you can get a tube to pretty much anywhere but i'm sure if ur planning going during the olympics, it will be difficult to find anywhere to stay, but i'm sure the attractions will still be ok. I live about 50 mins from London & my boyfriend works up their quite regularly. What are you planning to do whilst in London?
  • Sassia
    Sassia Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    London has an extensive travel network of both buses and underground so you really will not need a car at all. It will be insanely busy and expensive, but I would imagine New York is like that too!

I would avoid Olympics time (you probably won't be able to get a hotel in London then anyway) but most of the sights you will know about and want to see will be central/west London and the Olympics are in the east.

I live in Essex which is 'next door' to London and I often go there for work.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Hey. I work in relocation and have been explaining to our clients that June - September is a terrible time to come over. The transport system is going to be absolutely unusable with millions of extra passengers, 60% of all hotels are booked out already and the prices of EVERYTHING will be sky high. I would strongly advise you to come before or after the Jubilee / Olympics / Paralympics period. Sorry!

This is what I am seing as we look at things.
    Thanks

Some people suggested going in September or Spring. Unfortunately we still have to follow a school schedule, although in two years all that is over.
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    I hate to say it, but I, along with most Londoners I know, will be doing anything and everything I can to be out of London during the Olympics - the transport situation is looking dire, and an already-overcrowded city (in summer) is going to be a nightmare. If you plan to come next summer, I would suggest doing so either well before or after the Olympic period especially - the Jubilee is expected to be busy, but not as bad.
  • Jain
    Jain Posts: 861 Member
    Options

This!

And why just London? There's a whole country to see, dont limit yourself to just London. Try to get to Bath, or travel north to York. Or even better The Lake District.
  • seph_house
    seph_house Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    as everyone has said, hotels/prices will be insane for the olympics but that is only two weeks and the weeks after should be much better and if you *really* want to see the olympic spectacle, consider coming over for the paralympic weeks at the end of Aug which, while still busy should be much less insane.

100% the tube/trains/buses are the way to get around. the TFL.gov.uk web site has a very good travel planner that will plan a route for you from any given location (street address, tube station, post code etc) using public transport and it is very reliable.
    If you can handle adding another 30min train journey to the start/end of your tourist day, considering hotels along the main commuter train routes into one of the london rail stations, or one of the north london suburbs with tube stops is even quicker, might save you quite a lot of money. just don't plan to travel in to the center at peak commuter time (before 9am :)
  • angevee
    angevee Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    As others have said it is already very expensive this summer but if you were hoping to catch a show in the West End you'd be very disappointed as many theatres have decided to close during this time. London at Christmas is lovely. The tree in Trafalgar Square the lights in Regents and Oxford Street and the windows of Liberty's. And not forgetting the fireworks on New Years Eve!
  • TimWilkinson101
    TimWilkinson101 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    As has been said, there are lots of beuatiful places in England. I lived in York for many years and prefer it to London, but then I dont like big cities.

London is quite hectic normally and I can only imagine that over the olympics it would be a nightmare. Public transport is the way to go though as its not too expensive (especially with an Oyster card) and its frequent and pretty safe (jsut some incidents of pick pocketing). If you live in New York (which I'm thinking of going to this year), then you shoudl deal with the crowds and the pace no problems.

Its got a lot of great things to see (Tower of London, Natural History Museum, Science Museum, National Gallery, Tate(s), Buckingham Palace, Westminster Abbey etc etc. if you come over for more than a few days then a train to another city or area would be a nice thing. York is a medieval walled city with some great thigns to see and is only 2 1/2 hours by frequent train away. Bath is georgian and quite nice (not so much to see imo), Edinburgh is lovely, the Lakes are beautiful.
  • birdinho
    birdinho Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I did the London Marathon this year and I can imagine the Chaos that happened then will be the same with the Olympics. there will be plenty of people from other countries visiting at that time too and im guessing it will be heaving.

I will DEFINETLY be going down in the summer and dont care how busy it is. the atmosphere for the Marathon blew me away so the olypics will be no different! No car needed, we did everything by Tube, bus and walking.
  • tiggersstar
    tiggersstar Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I prefer London in September, less busy and tends to be nice weather. All the kids are back at school in September and there are less tourists. I am not sure I will bother to visit during the Olympics, it will be very busy.

I live in oxford, just an hour an a half bus ride from London. we have a ton of tourists in the summer!

I would like to visit New York this year. Probably around the Central Park. Where would you recommend to stay and visit?

:flowerforyou:
  • ellycope
    ellycope Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I agree that it's going to be absolutely crazy over the Olympic fortnight but if you can find somewhere to stay and don't mind it being incredibly busy and crowded then you'll still be able to have a good visit. The other thing about London is that things are often a lot closer than they appear on the tube map! If you're fit and active and are happy to walk then you'll get to see so much more than if you travel on the tube. Anything from the river (taking South Bank/Festival Hall as a central starting point) up to Camden (at a push) and out west to Hammersmith is walkable. You could do some of the Thames Path national trail as it's possible that to the west of the city it'll be a teensy bit quieter than the centre and east. Also, there are good transport links out to other cities and the seaside (Bath to the west and Brighton to the south) where you could escape from the crowds (although the two places I just named aren't the quietest either!).

If you do decide to come over I hope you have a great time!