CanNOT do a situp! Help!

I don't know if this has anything to do with my c-section two years ago, but I CANNOT for the life of me do a sit up. I've started doing crunches regularly, but I don't think they have as much impact? Even before my kid, when I was more in shape (ran track in high school...wasn't good at it, but hey, it kept me busy!) I wasn't too good at them. I REALLY want to get rid of my 'c-section belly' during my journey...help!!

Replies

• crisnis
    crisnis Posts: 83 Member
    Have you tried breaking into them gradually - like a modified version? try googling for different versions that have less resistance than the old fashioned rocky version until you build back up a bit of your abdominal strength. One way to modify is by laying out flat (not bending knees) and lead with your arms (like you are trying to touch your toes) but make sure your not using your arms to rock yourself up or straining with your neck... I'm sure you can find pics or vidoes to describe it better, but perhaps you just need to start slower - I can do crunches pretty easy now too, but I still have to modify my situps...
  • Does sticking your feet under the sofa and using it for leverage still work the abs? (with knees bent) I remember someone telling me to start that way. I'd get down on the floor and try now, but I'm so cozy...lol
  • ok, the way i was told (and they do work for me) to do situps is knees bent and visualise yourself 'pushing' through your stomach and then up through your girley bits (lol) - it sounds crazy I know!!! best of luck
  • matty - If nothing else, it should make situps WAY more fun! lol
  • my best friend and I came up with a fun way to do them. We have our hubbys sit on our hips && we raise up to give them a kiss <3 It makes it a little more fun for us. If your hubby isnt available you could enlist the help of your lil ones (if they cooperate) they might think its fun to help mommy
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    You may have better luck if you put a small pillow under your lower back for support.
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    you crunches are the start of a sit up just keep doing what you are doing and you muscles will get stronger to do that sit-up
  • muitobem
    muitobem Posts: 436 Member
    I believe different versions of crunches are better. Standing, lying down, pilates types(the 100 comes to mind)....they do strengthen your abdominals, I believe better.
    this one works really well to get it strengthened too and I like to use it:
    lie flat out on floor...hands/arms alongside head straight...Bring yourself up slowly(don't jerk your body) and reach for the toes..start out with just doing a couple and work yourself up to however many you want with reps....
    It's hard at first, but DOES work to get that stomach strong....
  • I would not worry about not being able to do a sit up, they are on the bottom of the list for exercises that strengthen your core. A traditional sit up really works more of the hip flexor (which may be where you are weak). Other options are a bicycle crunch, leg raises, holding plank. To get rid of the C-section belly you really want to focus on lower abs, which will be exercises where you lift your legs off the floor or at a gym you can do hanging leg raise or the captain's chair.
  • i've noticed my abs get stronger and sit-ups/crunches get easier once i strengthened my lower back; also, try planking! good luck! :)
  • schnarfo
    schnarfo Posts: 764 Member
    try an ab roller or using a sit up bench :D