Does anyone else just...NOT get hungry?

Options
Honestly, I can go a few days without eating. I mean, I have to drink water and hydrate myself, but I just don't get hungry. I know this is really not healthy, but I've been this way my whole life. My fiancee sometimes literally has to say "it's dinner time. You NEED to eat." I do, but it's always very little. Of course, I force myself to eat every day, so I'm eating, I'm just not hungry.

I try to reach my calorie goal, which is 1620 according to MFP, but most of the time there is just no way for me to eat that much.

Does anyone else have this problem? I don't know how to combat it and make myself hungry. If I eat a normal-sized meal, I feel over stuffed and get nauseous.

Any ideas would be fantastic.

Replies

• christinal83
    christinal83 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Well I can't go days without eating. I do get hungry but I eat then I go hours without eating or even feeling hungry. I know I do not eat enough calories a day but I have no idea what to do about this. I try to eat but then I feel sick. Hopefully someone can provide some information that could help us both.
  • heyydanie
    heyydanie Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    So glad to see someone else is in the same boat as me! At least I know I'm not alone.
  • Victoriav99
    Victoriav99 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I can't go a whole day without eating when I do i get sick... For example: Yesterday I had breakfast and some popcorn and my stomach was hurting for the rest of the evening, through out the night, and in the morning. I have no problem eating I just didn't have the time for it yesterday. I made myself eat this morning even with the pain. I think what caused the pain is that there may have been too much acid in my stomach from not eating enough. Once i had breakfast this morning I was fine. I hope you find the help you need because I am average 123-126 @ 5'3 and I love to eat so reaching my goal is not an issue. I think there would be a serious issue if you are going days without an appetite.
  • CannibalisticVegetarian
    Options
    I won't say I'd go DAYS without eating, but I definitely get what you're saying. I'm never hungry in the mornings, but I force myself to eat something for breakfast, since I'm going to be in the gym for about two hours soon after. After working out, I could easily drink a glass or two of water, and maybe one of those Bolthouse Farm small drinks.. and I'm honestly done after that. Still, people ride my behind about me eating and I 'm well aware that by the time I leave the gym, I'm nowhere NEAR my daily calorie goal.. so there's that problem.
  • pretty_ribbons
    pretty_ribbons Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    i dont go days without eating but i hardly ever keep up with the 1200 goal, its always saying im not eating enough, for me i end up not eating because all things i want to eat is not very healthy and would go way over the calorie goal so i end up just not eating
  • pretty_ribbons
    pretty_ribbons Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I won't say I'd go DAYS without eating, but I definitely get what you're saying. I'm never hungry in the mornings, but I force myself to eat something for breakfast, since I'm going to be in the gym for about two hours soon after. After working out, I could easily drink a glass or two of water, and maybe one of those Bolthouse Farm small drinks.. and I'm honestly done after that. Still, people ride my behind about me eating and I 'm well aware that by the time I leave the gym, I'm nowhere NEAR my daily calorie goal.. so there's that problem.

I never eat breakfast, i always just have a cup of tea and then i dont feel like eating
  • Devlyn_P
    Devlyn_P Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Yes I have to force myself to eat! I mean I don't enjoy eating nor get cravings. This is how I was when I was a kid, I'd always go play rather than eat. I don't have a lack of energy or crankiness but someone told me its because I am so preoccupied with "other" things that this is possibly why I don't really eat much. I drink 2-3 protein shakes a day and 2 regular meals low in calories just to get close to my daily caloric intake goal which is fairly hard to do.
  • MeghanAM
    MeghanAM Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I have to force myself to eat. It's not good for your blood sugar levels or metabolism to skip meals.
  • hausofnichele
    hausofnichele Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Being on MFP since October has FORCED me to eat. You would think that for someone so large I would be eating everything in sight. Not the case. I had absolutely no appetite.. or I'd eat nothing all day long and then finally right before bed I'd eat and all it did was tack on weight.

What I learned from being on here is that my metabolism WAS DEAD when I started. If you aren't getting hungry than you are NOT eating enough. Force yourself to eat. That is what I've had to do and now I *do* feel hunger again. If I start noticing that I'm not getting hungry I make sure to up my calories a bit. You will find that you will lose weight by eating more once you wake up your hibernating metabolism <3

Nichele
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I can go a few days without eating. I mean, I have to drink water and hydrate myself, but I just don't get hungry. I know this is really not healthy, but I've been this way my whole life. My fiancee sometimes literally has to say "it's dinner time. You NEED to eat." I do, but it's always very little. Of course, I force myself to eat every day, so I'm eating, I'm just not hungry.

I try to reach my calorie goal, which is 1620 according to MFP, but most of the time there is just no way for me to eat that much.

Does anyone else have this problem? I don't know how to combat it and make myself hungry. If I eat a normal-sized meal, I feel over stuffed and get nauseous.

Any ideas would be fantastic.
    On days that I exercise heavy and stay busy, my cravings are curbed, and if I don't watch it, I overdo it and miss a meal.
    I react to food binge triggers like parties, sporting events and boredom.
  • BarbWhite09
    BarbWhite09 Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    Im the same way. There are days where I actually forget that I need to eat. If my fiance wasn't here I'd just be going on with my day, with no food. I just don't feel hunger some times.
  • JinxRita
    JinxRita Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    My brother had this problem a lot when he was younger, and his doctor recommended the B.R.A.T. diet (which I thought was great, since he was a brat at the time, haha) It's bananas, rice, apples, or toast. Have one in the morning whether or not you're hungry. He hated it at first, but it seemed to perk his appetite a bit.
  • Crystal_Pistol
    Crystal_Pistol Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I'm not trying to be funny, but I do want to be real with you. You had to eat to gain weight initially. If your appetite has totally left, then something might be wrong. You might not want to eat a whole bunch of lettuce and grapes, but you mean to tell me you never want a milkshake? Maybe your appetite isn't being stimulated by what you are eating.

I AM ALWAYS HUNGRY!
  • Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    Options
    Nope! I do not have that problem! I can't eat back all of my exercise calories most days but I do not forget to eat.
    I want to eat the things I know my body needs and the things that help me reach my weight loss goals!
  • WifeMomDVM
    WifeMomDVM Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    I don't get hungry - but that's because I eat all the time - lots of protein and fiber.

For those having trouble getting your calories in and having nausea with eating - time to see your doctor and get to the bottom of this dangerous mystery!
  • SilverStar18
    SilverStar18 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Wow! I had no idea that people actually went through this. I agree with the above post though. If you aren`t hungry then its probably that your metabolism is shot! With MFP, hopefully this will help you get it back. Im sorry that people have to go through this, because I love eating and I get soo hungry allll the time! Ive always had a great metabolism though, and have stayed slim my whole life (trying to gain muscle now). So maybe that shows that you should force yourself to eat your daily calorie goal, maybe even set a timer on your watch at times to eat your meals and snacks, if you seem to forget, so you can get your metabolism back. It is completely necessary if you are serious about this heathy lifestyle!
  • derposaurus
    derposaurus Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I wish I had that problem lol. My appetite has always been extreme.

anyways, I think it might make more sense to listen to your body rather than MFP. if you find you're eating the way you'd like without forcing yourself, and you're still eating say, minimum 1000 calories a day... you're fine.

every body is different and MFP is very standardized. suprises me how religiously people follow it sometimes. i simply joined this site as a convenient method of food tracking. but going on the forums, it seems some people follow their set out numbers quite closely. interesting.
  • snowbab
    snowbab Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Being on MFP since October has FORCED me to eat. You would think that for someone so large I would be eating everything in sight. Not the case. I had absolutely no appetite.. or I'd eat nothing all day long and then finally right before bed I'd eat and all it did was tack on weight.

What I learned from being on here is that my metabolism WAS DEAD when I started. If you aren't getting hungry than you are NOT eating enough. Force yourself to eat. That is what I've had to do and now I *do* feel hunger again. If I start noticing that I'm not getting hungry I make sure to up my calories a bit. You will find that you will lose weight by eating more once you wake up your hibernating metabolism <3

Nichele

This is the truth. When I had an eating disorder I eventually couldn't eat much, even if i'd wanted to. In hospital I felt so ill in the first month or more because i was being forced to eat suddenly. It was only 800 calories at first too but I felt so uncomfortable. It's because over time if you don't eat enough as well as a slow metabolism your stomach also literally shrinks.

If you slowly up the amount you eat though and cope with the uncomfortable feeling for a while then your stomach will expand to a normal size and you will get a normal appetite, which in the long run is much better for weight loss, and of course your health :)

I was eating massive meals during my treatment, up to 3000+ calories a day to gain weight, and eventually i could actually eat this most days with no trouble! And they were healthy meals too, not just high calorie junk food. Since being back home I went up and down with calorie intake as I got over the disorder, and i noticed how my appetite changed according to this.

Currently I have been struggling to get up to my allowance (1530) especially with exercise calories included lol, but it has got easier than it was just a few weeks ago as I forced myself to finish meals :) (over illness now this is just because of a being busy during lunch finishing coursework haha)

Hope this helps!

Good luck! x
  • cshine06
    cshine06 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I rarely get hungry because I am always eating before that indicator comes on. If I am not hungry normally I will go for a brisk walk before I eat something.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    NEVER have I "forgotten to eat"...I've been too busy to have a proper meal but it's so important that I just don't allow it to happen. maybe you should just restructure your life to make eating a priority. It is not good for your health to go days without eating. I'd also see a doctor.