Green smoothies? Whats the point?

Options
Does it really give you all kinds of energy? I'm trying to figure out why I am trying to choke this thing down :/ Its my first one lol

Replies

• chicky89
    chicky89 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Lots of nutrients! Doooooooooooo it!!! they are yummy!
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Does it really give you all kinds of energy? I'm trying to figure out why I am trying to choke this thing down :/ Its my first one lol
    The green crap is so good for you. I hate veggies and seldom eat them, but my juicer is on the blink. I am ordering another.

I'd rather choke down a green smoothie than endure a plate of veggies.
    Oh, to get healthy eating burgers and fries....lol
  • NuttyBrewnette
    NuttyBrewnette Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Energy, nutrients. But I don't think you should have to choke it down...depends where you got it/made it, what's in it. I have had some gross ones and some that were delish. Keep trying/experimenting.

:smile:
  • Bloomsday
    Bloomsday Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Ha. There are a lot of reasons to have them. If you google Victoria Boutenko or information about alkalinity/acidity or the health benefits of greens, you will get your questions answered. Greens have minerals most of us are pretty low on ...

If your recipe is 60% fruit and 40% grreens, it should still taste like fruit. Might look weird, but it will taste ok.

Personally, I attribute these to eliminating my chronic pain. I do frozen strawberries and spinach. I think they're great!
  • jacquelyn_erika
    jacquelyn_erika Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Why are you having to choke it down? Can you tell me what you put in it and how much of each ingredient?
  • pussycat626
    pussycat626 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Maybe thats my problemo I put tons of veggies and very small amount of fruit :drinker: Well now I know for tomorrow lol
  • pussycat626
    pussycat626 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Why are you having to choke it down? Can you tell me what you put in it and how much of each ingredient?

I put red leafy lettuce, green leafy lettuce ( not ice burg), cilantro, green bell pepper, green cabbage, 1 banana, 2 tiny apples and some water
  • jacquelyn_erika
    jacquelyn_erika Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Wow, very adventurous! Honestly, I use a lot more fruit in mine to help mask any taste but I only use spinach for the vegetable and it's tasteless. My smoothies typically consist of one banana, handful of frozen or fresh spinach, 1 c of frozen mixed berries, a couple of whole strawberries, and 1 c of milk. It's so so yummy!!
  • Jugsie23
    Options
    I have spinach and orange smoothies. The spinach blends really smooth. Tastes just like orange. Nice.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    I think the bell pepper taste would be overpowering. I've tried red pepper in a shake before, it was very strong.
  • ablykins
    ablykins Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Totally worth it- but just watch how much sugar rich fruit you add or you could have a calorie pit. I drink green smoothies every morning and find that leafy greens like spinach, kale, collard greens, and romaine are nutrient rich while a relatively mild in flavor. Lemon and ginger can add some great fruit taste without adding too much sugar or too many calories. I usually take 1 scoop of vegan vanilla protein powder, 3 cups of greens, 1 small green apple, 1 lemon, and 1 knob ginger and I love the taste.
  • erin_zuk
    erin_zuk Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I've been doing green smoothies post workouts lately

1 big handful baby spinach
    2-3 big kale leaves (cut the stem out, just use the leaf)
    1 cup orange juice
    1/2 apple cut into pieces

throw all in blender with some ice, add hemp protein powder if you like

delicious!!
  • CupcakeGirl94
    Options
    I do 1/2 apple and 1/2 banana, 1/2 cup EACH of water and Simply Orange juice, 1 and 1/4 cups of kale and a few ice cubes...yummy! And, I'm not a veggie person, so this is a tasty and easy way to get them in. It also makes such a quick breakfast on the go!

PS: I've been only been doing this for a week, so keep it up! Good luck!
  • Reinventing_Me
    Reinventing_Me Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options

I put red leafy lettuce, green leafy lettuce ( not ice burg), cilantro, green bell pepper, green cabbage, 1 banana, 2 tiny apples and some water

LOL. Yeah... that's a little heavy on the veggies. There are a ton of great green smoothie recipies on line - just google it. Most people start of with something mild like spinach and add banana and/or berries, juice, water or milk, and a little honey, maybe some protein powder or yogurt. You get major points for trying though... and even more if you choke it down. ;o)
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options

Hmm... I think I'd have a hard time choking that down, too!

I think I would have much rather made a salad of the lettuces, cilantro, cabbage and peppers, and then had a snack of sliced apples and bananas. All that food sounds really tasty and edible, why beat it down into juice or a smoothie?
  • KayteeBear
    KayteeBear Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    The only green I add is spinach and I never taste it. My smoothies always taste delicious. :) I have them to get in the nutrients of spinach while drinking something delicious. :)