What's with all the sodium hate?

Options
foxxm
foxxm Posts: 19 Member
For people with high blood pressure, I get it. I have low blood pressure, so my doctors have always told me not to worry about my sodium (read salt) intake. So I have never given my use of salt a moment of concern.

I guess what I am really wondering is what people are using in lieu of salt?

Replies

• Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    For people with high blood pressure, I get it. I have low blood pressure, so my doctors have always told me not to worry about my sodium (read salt) intake. So I have never given my use of salt a moment of concern.

I guess what I am really wondering is what people are using in lieu of salt?

I too, have low blood pressure. I don't put extra salt on food apart from chips (when I used to eat them) and I may put a little salt in water that is boiling potatoes - I am talking about a sprinkling, other than that, I don't touch it. A lot of food has salt already added anyway.

Some people are not aware that the body needs a minimum of 500mg of sodium per day, it can just as dangerous to be short on sodium as it can be taking too much.

No idea what some people would use in lieu of salt though.
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    I want optimal nutrition and a low risk of debilitating diseases. I am fine with being struck by lightening, but dread lingering with post-stroke complications for years on end.

I have low blood pressure, too, but so does everyone before they don't anymore. I don't want that to be me. So, I eat low sodium, low fat, and as refined sugar-free as I can be. I also eat 100% vegetarian, and close to vegan. That means I probably don't have arterial plagues which carry heart risks. But, that said, some sources say that vegetarians are more prone to hemorrhagic strokes: http://www.diseaseproof.com/archives/hurtful-food-salt-potentially-more-dangerous-for-vegans-and-vegetarians.html

I don't want that either, so I make my daily goal for sodium around 1500 mg. I don't use salt at the table, and cook from scratch, for the most part, so that allows me to meet that goal most days.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Me too. I have low blood pressure and get faint. If I don't get enough salt I get bad cramps.
  • kaydensmom12
    Options
    Sodium is reabsorbed in the kidneys to return to the bloodstream, and water follows it. This leads to increased fluids in the bloodstream, leading to high blood pressure. Those with high blood pressure placed on loop diruretics get decreased blood pressure because the medication prevents reabsorption of sodium into the bloodstream, leaving it to be excreted in urine along with water. Sodium is important part of the diet and is needed but needs to monitored whether you have high blood pressure or not!
  • _VoV
    Options
    I agree that some sodium is required in the diet for electrolyte balance. I've heard that 500 mg. minimum for sodium, too. But, it's not difficult to get that in a single serving of prepared soup. At least in the US, the average sodium consumption is over 6 times that minimum.
  • _VoV
    Options
    Sodium is reabsorbed in the kidneys to return to the bloodstream, and water follows it. This leads to increased fluids in the bloodstream, leading to high blood pressure. Those with high blood pressure placed on loop diruretics get decreased blood pressure because the medication prevents reabsorption of sodium into the bloodstream, leaving it to be excreted in urine along with water. Sodium is important part of the diet and is needed but needs to monitored whether you have high blood pressure or not!

That's all true, but I have heard the process of eliminating excess sodium can bring calcium along for the ride.
  • Jyster
    Jyster Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I am on the borderline of low blood pressure and it runs in my family so I don't really add extra salt from my diet but I also don't seek to eliminate it either.
  • sailorsiren13
    Options
    Since i was a kid i have not liked salt and i have low blood pressure but high cholesterol (confusing i know) The way i was taught to cook is to use everything but salt because people automatically reach for the salt shaker anyway....It drives my husband nuts and at one point i was sodium deficient (not on purpose) to me it just takes away from all the other flavors in food.
  • beerlythere
    beerlythere Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Some people, like me, are really sensitive to salt - I get pretty swollen after eating something with a good bit of sodium - so they avoid it. Sodium occurs naturally in lots of foods, so I can get to the minimum requirement easily. I just try not to add any, and I try to avoid those foods high in sodium.
  • Soozie1978
    Soozie1978 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I have mildly high blood pressure, but used to have low. I hve been cooking for my hasband who has high bloodpressure and has had an emergency quadruple bypass to save his life. I use no salt in cooking. There is plenty if you eat ANY processed foods right out of the package. To add flavor, increase your use of herbs and spices. I use garlic and onion regularly, Play around with basil, oregano, mustard, tarragon, rosemary, different chili powders ( I like ancho and chipotle). Put nutmeg in your stews and savory dishes. It helps to bring out the flavor. After almost 20 years of cooking this way, I still like salt on chips and margarita glasses. I still add some to homemade salt free soups, but most things tast way too salty to me.
  • maryjay51
    maryjay51 Posts: 742
    Options
    as much as i love salt i have high blood pressure and can get edema to the feet and ankles if i do not watch my intake.. it sucks but ive learned to live with it and im much healthier because of it. if you really took a good look at how much salt is in food and condiments ..it is alot ..typically way more than what the recommended daily allowance is. it also retains water in the body making you feel like crap ,bloated ect.. i had to teach myself to enjoy the flavor of food without it .. i went to a fitness camp last year for an entire week. i about died when i found out we couldnt have condiments other than frank's hot sauce. it too has sodium in it but apparently you typically do not put as much of that on something as yhou would mayo, mustard or ketchup. they made my eyes wide open on educating us how much sodium is in food..especially in restaurants and fast food places. no wonder i was on heart attack row some years ago!!
  • 1953Judith
    1953Judith Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I was a high blood pressure person until I started managing my salt and potassium. I am very pleased to no longer need blood pressure medicine and to be managing this aspect of fitness. I try to stay under 1500 mg a day for salt and over 3000 mg a day for potassium.

I cook with a lot more herbs and spices -- lots of ground pepper, really good cinnamon. I have been doing a lot of experimenting with different flavors.

I miss the salt.. I'm not going to lie, but I honestly feel much better with my blood pressure under control. My dad and grandfather both died in their early 60s from strokes. On the days that it is hard (turning down free good pizza at work for example), I remind myself that I am a steward for my body and managing salt and potassium is not that hard compared to the wonderful results I get. I have really been watching salt for about two months. It is getting easier. I think I have gone down a clothing size because of my increased salt control (but maybe its the exercise or something else healthy I'm doing; it's not weight loss).
  • kaydensmom12
    Options

That's all true, but I have heard the process of eliminating excess sodium can bring calcium along for the ride.
    Eliminating excess sodium can bring alot of other ions and minerals along for the ride, especially potassium. That is part of why its important to monitor sodium before you get to that point.
  • badgerbadger1
    badgerbadger1 Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    It's really simple. Most available foods in today's grocery store have excess sodium. Considering the diet of the average North American, typically the sodium intake far exceeds the recommended 3000 mg/day. That is where watching your sodium intake is beneficial, to realize how much you're taking in and reduce it accordingly.
  • SavCal71
    SavCal71 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I don't pay too much attention to sodium levels. I do try to avoid overly processed foods, in part due to their sodium content, but those have OUTRAGEOUS amounts of sodium. On a daily basis? I don't think much about sodium at all.
  • AnastasiaVegGIrl
    Options
    Theres a lot of really natural ways of getting sodium - celery for one. You can have a glass of carrot, celery, apple, cucumber juice and that will give you a lot of good sodium. Also, I eat a lot of dulse - seaweed - tasty on salads and packed with nutrition and natural sodium.