How to be pretty?!

Options
2»

Replies

• groomchick
    groomchick Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    This sounds silly, but pretend to be confident! I started off just pretending that I was super super confident, and soon enough I started to believe it!! Every once in a while I still get down on myself, but I'm usually one of the most confident people I know:laugh: It just takes some time, but as soon as you start telling yourself that you're confident, you will be and the people around you can sense that and will want to be around you. Then that of course feeds back into the confidence and you find yourself in a self loving chain!!:laugh:

This!! I faked it till I made it....funny thing...I really AM that person now! :wink:
  • adjones5
    adjones5 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    This is what helps me when I'm feeling crappy about myself...

Step 1: buy some clothes that flatter your body and make you feel sexy
    Step 2: buy 6 in stilettos that go great with your new clothes
    Step 3: buy a beautiful designer bag that also goes great with your new clothes
    Step 4: spa day- hair, nails, facial, massage, make up, etc.
    Step 5: go out dancing :D
  • CheleLynn44
    CheleLynn44 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    It can be hard to see the changes in our bodies at the beginning. I have a closet (probably like most of you) and in it you can find a wide range of sizes of tops and bottoms. Putting something on that was tight and having it fit or be loose ALWAYS makes me feel better.

Last Thursday we were headed out to dinner, I live in AZ so its still pretty nice out but when the sun goes down it can be chilly. I am a plain Jane Jean Capri and solid colored top type of gal, but I grabbed a cute little zebra crop sweater that I had worn on my last cruise and threw it on. Let me tell you, just doing that and taking time to put some jewelry on, I felt pretty good. Pretty in fact!!

I have only list 16lbs and still weigh 291, but it boosted my confidence!! I do agree with a lot of the other posters that it does have to come from within, but its in there and you will find it!! :flowerforyou:
  • kimi131
    kimi131 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel. I used to be there, and some days I still am. I even posted a blog about it: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/kimi131/view/old-me-vs-new-me-184027

For me, the weight loss helped a lot and so did getting my eyes fixed. And just the decision that I was going to fix myself up. When I started fixing my hair more often, wearing eye liner and makeup more often, I started liking the girl in the mirror more and that keeps me doing it. And the guys are starting to notice too, not just that I fix myself up more but also that I have the confidence that goes with it.

There was a time, about 2 years ago, when I had lost a lot of weight and was about 10 lbs thinner than I am now. I felt better about myself than I had prior to that weight loss, but it still didn't match the way I feel about myself now.

The other day, my mom and I were talking about a friend the other day who has never paid much attention to me before but is now noticing me. Not a big deal since I would never date this guy anyway, but I just thought it was funny that he was talking to me a lot for the first time in years. My mom said, "Have you looked at yourself in the mirror?" I know, a typical mom response, but for the first time in probably my whole life, I thought "Oh yeah,... that might be it." :bigsmile:

You are beautiful. Find things that make you happy and do them. Fix yourself up. Spend time with friends. Have fun. Soon you'll find the confidence to match.
  • Squible
    Squible Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Oh wow guys thanks so much for all the GREAT respondes!
    I'm going shopping on Tuesday on my birthday and usually I shy away and wear 'comfy' clothes and not buy anything I like cause I feel I don't deserve it but I think I'm gonna dress myself up and do my hair and get some slap on and try and enjoy myself, or at least fake it til I realise I do deserve good things
    :-)
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    you can develop it, but the prettiest people can have no confidence as well, trust me, I just spent the week at a conference with a gorgeous pageant queen and she has her insecurities as well. nothing you can do to your physical body can make you happy if you're not happy inside. I like this quote from an old TLC song

"you can buy your hair if it won't grow, you can fix your nose if he say so, you can buy all the makeup that MAC can make, but if you can't look inside you, and find out who am I to, be in a position to make me feel so un-pretty"
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    Fake it 'til you make it. Behave like you are, dress like you are, do you hair like you are and, most importantly, treat yourself like you are the woman you think you should be. Eventually you'll be that woman.

I once dreamed of being a knock-out psychopath. Look at me now!
  • QLily
    QLily Posts: 3
    Options
    PetitePerfect has a very good idea. Act as if you are. Find some one whose confidence or demeanor you admire and just pick one time to try it, at a store, at a restaurant or anywhere. Act as if will help you try on a little confidence slowly.
  • Priincess_Natalie
    Priincess_Natalie Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Clothes shopping!!! Go to some nice stores and treat yourself to some super cute/sexy/whatever you're into clothes!

Buy a well fitted, super sexy bra with matching undies!

Go get your hair done by a pro. Change up the cut/style/color. It will make you feel like a new you.

Try out some different make-up. Wear it lighter or darker than usual. Try different colors.

Pull your shoulders back and walk taller. Keep your head up and look straight ahead. It says "I'm confident" and confident is the sexiest thing a woman can wear!!!
  • MiaOrange
    MiaOrange Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I sometimes feel like that, esp when people call me "sir". I'm a woman/mom.

I enjoyed getting a new outfit when I first started losing weight. More recently at a 50 lb loss I got a couple of workout outfits, that was a treat because all I had before were 2nd- hand, stained sweats etc. for relax/exercise clothes.

Sometimes I wear eye makeup or dangly earrings. It was about 35 deg F here, but I just got back from jogging (which I rarely do outside) in the sun, a farmers market and walking around with my kids. It made me feel grateful for life and sun and feel confident because I was out doing healthy stuff with other healthy people.

Also, like someone above said, smiling more really helps which I need to work on, because I get so overwhelmed about all these things I'm trying to change in life and forget to relax, smile or have fun. :smile:
  • 2Bgoddess
    2Bgoddess Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    I feel really good wfter having a pedicure.

Sometimes it feels nice to go to a salon. If you really don't want a hair cut, you can just have them wash, dry, and style for you. Just feels special, without committing to a big change.

I like the lipgloss idea.
  • cassiebrooks
    cassiebrooks Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I think doing something nice for yourself is always a help in gaining confidence...
  • gumigal82
    gumigal82 Posts: 350
    Options
    It is the (awful) truth that is all in you-no one else can make you feel good, rockin' (ha ha), or beautiful but you. I wish confidence was found in some magic pill!
    It really helps me to exercise-I get confidence in doing it. As silly as this seems, I keep a list on my cell of all the things I love about me-both inner and outer beauty- for when I need a little boost. Write down anything--as simple as it may seem (such as "I have a cute laugh", or "I make good brownies", I kick butt in my workouts")
    Also, get out and do different activities-or find new interests.
  • Squible
    Squible Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    It is the (awful) truth that is all in you-no one else can make you feel good, rockin' (ha ha), or beautiful but you. I wish confidence was found in some magic pill!
    It really helps me to exercise-I get confidence in doing it. As silly as this seems, I keep a list on my cell of all the things I love about me-both inner and outer beauty- for when I need a little boost. Write down anything--as simple as it may seem (such as "I have a cute laugh", or "I make good brownies", I kick butt in my workouts")

Love this idea :-) I have thinspration pictures on my phone already to keep me on my diet so this makes perfect sense to have as well thank you :-)
  • gumigal82
    Options
    Oh, a good haircut, some new shoes and ladies night never hurt;)

I like to wear less makeup most days, and surprisingly this adds to a feeling of confidence and beauty-- I only wear moisturizer, mascara&lip gloss. Wearing more makes me feel like I'm wearing a mask, and I think people respond more to a natural look.
  • gumigal82
    Options

Love this idea :-) I have thinspration pictures on my phone already to keep me on my diet so this makes perfect sense to have as well thank you :-)

You're welcome:) I have had quite the journey with body image and confidence, so I have learned to get creative!
  • fabafter5
    fabafter5 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I ditto many of the others...

Get your hair done ( sexy new color or highlights will spice things up)
    Get your eyebrows done if you don't. (seriously this $10 trick can make you look vibrant and alive)!
    Go to the MAC counter and have them do your makeup. You can buy something as simple as a lipgloss or eyeshadow for about $14
    Get yourself some heels! (Even if you wear them with jeans you will feel sexy)

Hit the town and turn some heads. Walk in like you own that ****!
    Smile and have fun!

You are beautiful and you deserve to treat yourself well!
    Crys
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    I always feel pretty when I put on my makeup. My hair is naturally curly, so there is nothing good there....but some mascara, eyeliner and lipstick make me feel like a whole new woman. And then I stand up straight, smile, and go forth and conquer! As long as I think I am pretty, I AM PRETTY!!!
    Why all the curly hair hatred? I have naturally straight thin limp hair. All my life I've envied naturally curly hair.I guess the grass is always greener.