Super Sprint/Sprint Triathalon

Options
Me and my sister-in-law a talking about doing a Super Sprint or Sprint Triathlon this summer. I have trained for a half marathon in the past and done a successful 5k and she has done a 5k and biked a half-century in the past. I'm thinking I would like to start training for the event now and make a commitment to one event or the other in a few months.

Can anyone share their thoughts and experiences with training programs? Does anyone have a training program they would recommend?

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Joe Friel's book My First Triathlon was a great source for me when I did my first one. There are a number of training programs in it to follow plus it outlines everything you need to prep including setting up transition. I highly recommend it.

My advice -
    If you are doing open water swim, don't cheap out on the wetsuit. I am not saying buy top of the line gear, I mean don't by the cheap wetsuit made for watersports like jetskiing. It is NOT the same. Get one made for swimming. Trust me, lesson learned the very hard way.
    Also, swim in open water a few times before the race. It is not the same.
    Best advice I was given - remember, just breathe. When you hit the water you will be pumped up, pushing hard, surrounded by people and in a tight wetsuit. Don't forget to breathe! My first triathlon, I had a really bad swim (part to blame on not following my first two tips). I remembered someone telling me that and started doing it. I honestly can say that is the only reason I finished.

Um, I am sure I will think of more, but most importantly have fun. You can definitely do it. I was so out of shape when I did my first one but I finished.

Oh - elastic laces. Like these
    http://www.locklaces.com/

And two words, brick workout. That is biking and running workout to get used to running off the bike.

Edit - do the sprint - it is a very doable distance.
  • reneeileen
    reneeileen Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    Wow, thank you so much! I was just looking and Brick work outs and I wasn't sure what they were. I was also looking at Brick work outs that were not called Brick work outs and I was thinking they looked like a really good idea.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    I should add, the wetsuit advice is only if you need it. Where I am, pretty much every race you are going to want a wetsuit, but that isn't the case everywhere.

And be careful, tris can be addicting.

Edit -
    Oh and beginnertriathlete.com is a good resource too.
  • reneeileen
    Options
    I tried my first brick work out today. It was not difficult so much as it was strange. When I was finished I felt like I was still in forward motion when I was stretching. I took it a little easier than I needed because I wanted to pace myself. I feel like the Sprint is an attainable goal but it's clear it will take a few months of work to get to where I feel confident about it.
  • trijoe
    trijoe Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    Ah, the first triathlon... Brings back memories...

First, Kudos to you for training for it! You'll be hooked in no time. They're seriously addictive.

Second, always remember, this is fun. Generally, on a person's first triathlon, odd (and eventually embarrassing) things tend to happen. Ex: A friend of mine who's racing 2 IM's this year, and God knows how many HIM's, did her first triathlon 5 or 6 years ago (a sprint) with this adorable handlebar basket thingy on her bike. It's so cute! She still shares the pic. I got lost on the run course, my first tri. Luckily, not too bad. And a pool volunteer asked if I needed help getting out of the pool. I was 150 meters into the 500 meter swim at the time. &^%$#!!! That's just how the first one goes. Odds also are, that there'll be tons of hard core studs (or stud wanna be's) at the race sight, just begging to make you feel inadequate and/or intimidated. Forget 'em. Have your fun.

Third, if you have one in your area, for Pete's sake, join your local triathlon club. You'll meet people who can answer all your questions, give you personalized advice, and train with you. You never know - the club may even be at your race. There are so many pluses, I can't list them all.

Fourth, I'm a big fan of tri specific gear. Tri shorts and shirts. They're multifunctional, you can train in them for any discipline, and they're the perfect outfit on race day.

I hope this helps, and did I mention to have fun? Really. Just go out there, work up a sweat, and enjoy your day.

Heaven.

I hope this helps.

OH! And if you're interested, there's a MFP triathlon/duathlon group. You may want to check it out.
  • reneeileen
    Options
    Thank you!

My plan is to have fun and compete against myself. I have learned that there are always going to be people that are competing to place in any event. I'm going to complete and enjoy myself.

I will have to look into the local triathlon club but I have to say, the idea of it intimidates me a bit. I suppose I need to train and get over myself.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    I was the same way. My goal was to finish, it didn't matter where.

I also agree with finding a club. It might seem intimidating but I have the same experience as Trijoe. I would be nowhere without the club. They are an amazing group with so much to offer. We have people from my level (no clue) to one who is a former pro and competed twice at Kona ranging in age from 20 -72 (and he does Ironmans)
  • trijoe
    trijoe Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    You're from Madison? Holy COW, you guys have a great club in your area! I saw them everywhere when a friend and I were there spectating IMW. This is very good news for you.

A story:
    When I first joined my tri club, I didn't know anybody or anything. I saw that a group run was a day away and decided to go and meet some people. I didn't realize the run was at one of the hardest trails in the area, and only the most hard core athletes went there. I showed up, met a few people, and away we went. In about 2 minutes everybody else was up the first hill and out of sight/sound. I was lost in the woods and alone. One of the club members realized this, doubled back, and found me. He stayed with me the rest of the run. I discovered later this is called "no drops". Everybody, no matter how slow, has company. I was so intimidated. Patrick found a shortcut, and we turned the 10M run into a 4Miler, which kept us from being too far behind.

Afterward, they all gathered at a restaurant nearby for burgers/beer. I was so embarrassed/angry/sore/intimidated that I bowed out on the grub and drove home in tears. Clearly, I did NOT fit in. I told a dear friend this story, and her response was "Suck it up, buttercup. You don't quit anything. Try again." Jeez...

So I went to the club meeting a few weeks later, scared out of my mind. Many of the people from the run were there, and they all came up to tell me how much they missed getting to know me at the restaurant. I also met people who were more my speed/ability, with all the same worries, hangups, fears, foibles that I have.

I found my place, and it's a great one. 4 years later, I'm still a BOP (Back Of Packer) but I'm okay with it. A few of those people are some of my best friends today, and I still hear from Patrick every so often. After his divorce he pulled a Forest Gump, sold everything, bought a touring bike and criss crossed America. Last I heard, he was in Spain cycling his life away. I've been the club volunteer coordinator and served on the board.

To keep a short story long, that first step will suck. But if you take it, you'll be glad you did.
  • reneeileen
    Options
    Thank you for sharing that story. That is basically my main fear in joining a club. I figured there would be a club here since there is an IM here every spring but I kept thinking that a club here would be filled with IMs. I'll look into it. I think I could especially use help building my confidence in open water swims - that will have to wait a for now. Stupid freezing winter.
  • dianeg81
    Options
    This is a great idea and you will totally be hooked after you complete your first one. I trained for my first Olympic triathlon with Team In Training. I had to raise money for the leukemia and lymphoma society but it was for a healthy cause so I didn't mind. With TNT they give you trainers a team, mentors and really everything you need to be successful. I was a complete newbie from biking to swimming. They showed me everything including how to eat, techniques, and had the best equipment to buy. I quit abut 3 times during training and they were always there to support me! I has a major panic attack in my first open water swim! So if you can look into TNT I'm sure they have it in your area. It really have me the confidence I needed. You also do practice triathalons. It was one of the best experiences I have ever done! It takes alot of commitment and time be because they have intense group workouts. I will do it again hit right now isn't the best time for me. I have a 6 month old and don't have as much free time as I use to. I'm going to be doing a sprint tri with my girlfriend in the spring. I feel comfortable with that training on my own. Good luck!!'n
  • dianeg81
    Options
    PS- sorry for all the typos and grammar errors. Replying from my iPhone
  • irongirl73
    irongirl73 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I always find Gale Bernhardt's training plans to be user friendly. I don't look at them and feel overwhelmed. I always feel like they are realistic for someone who is just looking to finish and not place in the top three! That said, I always use her plans as a guideline. I'm a strong swimmer, so I tend to skip extra swim workouts and put it towards my run. Any training plan you look at, you will want to tailor to suit your needs. A lot of the ironman training plans out there, have ppl training 10+ hours week after week and I have finished two ironmans without that sort of time commitment. It's important to build three weeks, and then have an easy week. You gotta give your body a break or else you'll end up injured.

http://www.amazon.com/Training-Plans-Multisport-Athletes-Essential/dp/1931382921/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1326071745&sr=8-1

Good luck getting to the starting line! It's totally fun! :)
  • reneeileen
    Options
    @dianeg81 - I have shied away from TNT events because the fundraising feels like a huge commitment. Did you feel like it was do-able? I actually didn't run the half marathon I trained for with them because I didn't feel like it was possible to meet their fundraising goal but the environment felt very supportive.
  • reneeileen
    Options
    @ irongirl73 - Thanks for the ideas. I am totally in awe of anyone that trains/competes in Iron Mans. That is pretty amazing. I'm definitely looking at focusing extra time on swimming since my form isn't very efficient and I have a harder time pacing myself in the water.
  • dianeg81
    Options
    At first I did think it was achievable and I was pumped about it. I signed up for the Hawaii triathlon and has to raise 5,800!!!!! What the heck was i thinking? I remember praying and praying for a miracle! Lol It was very stressful, but I held a few fundraisers and I raised $2,900 on my own. Thankfully my company matched me for the remaining $2,900. If I would have started earlier and had a plan to raise money from day 1 it would have been alot easier on me. But I was a total procrastinator about it! So the training routines on top of fundraiser was major stress! But I stuck through it and finished my training and fundraising. It is tough! I cried several days after intense workouts of pure exhaustion and being overwhelmed. I did quit 3 times! But in hindsight it was an amazing experience and I would do it again! But it would be for an event that I could afford to pay for myself. The knowledge and experience I received during that was so worth it. I always had one on one support anytime I needed!
  • reneeileen
    Options
    That was the thing I was the most afraid of. I started the program late and it became too much of a stressor for me. I feel the same way. I would like to do it again but I would like to do a program that I could afford the total donation cost at the beginning.

The first week of training went well. I definitely have a learning curve as well as conditioning but I feel like this goal is totally attainable.