shin splints

So I started the couch to 5k thing a week ago and today while running my shins started hurting really bad. I'm pretty sure its shin splints ( ive had before) anyway I was wanting to know if anyone had any tips on how to get rid of the pain. I iced and took some motrin after running today but what about while running??? Thanks :)

Replies

• tango4567
    tango4567 Posts: 2 Member
    So you said you started the 5 K about a week ago, so I am guessing you are at the end of week one.
    This most commonly happens at week one or week two because you are using new muscles.

You are doing the right thing, ice, ice ice!! If you are in pain while not running you have to stop. I know that is not what you want to hear but you need to let them heal, they will become stronger and then start up again. For me it took about a week and a half for the heeling to happen, and then I was fine after that. Long term you are not doing yourself any favor running thru pain.

Have you been fitted for running shoes? Make sure you do this if you have not already.
    I use a foam roller to loosen up my calfs before I run, and then stretches after the run.

Good Luck!
  • robynham84
    robynham84 Posts: 77 Member
    Thank you for the info! It only hurts right after running right now but after I ice about 30 minutes its fine. No haven't been fitted for shoes yet. I will do that next week. Thanks again :)
  • soccerella
    soccerella Posts: 619 Member
    freeze some water in a paper cup, then peel part of the cup off and rub the exposed ice on your shins (ice and massage therapy) really helps too

and how old are your shoes you are using now? Whenever I start to get shin splints, I know im due for a new pair

tips that I got from my running shoe store
    1) running shoes should only be used for running, not work, shopping, etc. it helps them to last longer
    2) they should be replaced every 6 months or about 300/400 miles
    3) you may also be using shoes that are too small for you. Dress shoes and such are meant to be snug, but you need about a thumb's width of room between your longest toe and the front of the running shoe for the footwear to function properly. Expect your running shoes to be from one-half to two sizes larger than your other shoes. <- this is the one that was the biggest shock to me, and as soon as i switched to properly fitting shoes my foot and shin pain subsided
  • Tinapov
    Tinapov Posts: 17
    And also make sure that you drink enough!
  • jersanter
    jersanter Posts: 74 Member
    Get a pair of Vibram Five Fingers. Minimalist running is frickin awesome!!!
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    What surface are you running on? Concrete sidewalks are 10x harder than asphalt (paved road or trail) and put more stress on the legs. I run on the side of the road wherever it's safe to do so.
  • YogaRunner
    YogaRunner Posts: 652 Member
    I know of an easy exercise you can do while relaxing that will cure this. It worked wonders for me. Message me and I'll send it to you. Then, be sure to get fitted for running shoes at a store that specializes in running. The $100 or so you invest in the right shoes now, will save you money in physical therapy and medical bills later. I do not recommend Vibrams for new runners.
  • flisafakto
    flisafakto Posts: 143 Member
    I've been having trouble with shin splints too, ever since I started C25K. The first couple days went fine, but after the third, I just couldn't jog anymore. To be fair, I mistakenly did all three days in a row instead of spacing them out over a week.

I still walk everyday, and each time I give interval jogging a shot, but my shins are screaming after 30 seconds. Today I tried intervals of just powerwalking, but even that hurt too much after the third interval.

It's too bad because I actually really enjoyed C25K, despite thinking for years that I would NEVER jog.
  • marian723
    marian723 Posts: 35 Member
    I had really bad shin splints last year. My friend who is a personal trainer told me to work out my calves. She had me stand on a stair and the lift my body up... like rolling on to your toes. I did that for a minute and then we would stretch. I hope maybe this will help.
  • dntworribhappi
    dntworribhappi Posts: 131 Member
    I had them before when i was trying to increase mileage to quickly. The following I learned from a Mayo Clinic health newsletter years ago: the PRICE method. It can be applied for ankle sprains, shin splints, and other soft tissue injuries. P=Protection (wear a bandage, I used an ACE bandage around the shins for shin splints, or ankle brace for ankle sprain, R=rest, it can be a bummer, but you really have to let the injury rest at least for a little while to start the healing process, a few days to a week minimum, I=ice the injury to reduce inflammation, C=compression, similar to the Protection part, wear a wrap or brace, something to keep constant compression on the injury (make sure it is not so tight to cut off blood flow, though.), E=elevation, rase your injury above your heart level whenever possible, or at least up as high as you are able, this also will reduce/help with the inflammation. I took a few days off, wore ace bandages when running, and all day for a couple weeks. I also would lie down, with pillows under my lower legs, with ice on the injured area as often as I was able. It WILL get better, with time and proper care. Once they've had some time to heal, you can begin running again and they should continue to improve. Listen to your body, it will let you know how it is healing. Good luck to you. Don't give up!
  • dntworribhappi
    dntworribhappi Posts: 131 Member
    Oh, also forgot to mention the following rules I learned from a physical therapist. 1. Always walk for at least 5 minutes before and after a run to properly warm up before and cool down after a run. 2. Always stretch your legs AFTER your run, while the legs are warm, include a good calf, hamstring, quad, and hip flexor stretch. ' These two steps can prevent many common injuries.
  • val205
    val205 Posts: 50 Member
    Search google for shin splint stretches. There are some specific ones which are really good. Do these, be gentle on yourself and work your way into it, they'll be gone in no time!
  • Kaylee_law_123
    Kaylee_law_123 Posts: 450 Member
    My physio said to go straight from ice on the front to heat on the back of the leg, as well as deep massage (which hurts like hell!!!),
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    double post, sorry
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    All of these are great suggestions...also try running a bit slower...and definitely make sure you are wearing the right shoes for you. Good luck!
  • mdebbie1026
    mdebbie1026 Posts: 164 Member
    I agree about proper shoes/shoe care. Don't skimp there.
  • MHunte
    MHunte Posts: 149
    First thing you need to do is get fitted for the correct shoes, then you need to stretch before you even start anything, do some Ankle Circles and some Band Calf Raises this will help for sure! warm up for about 10 mins on the treadmill and bump the speed up every 30 seconds until you hit the speed you want, oh and drink water. Good luck!!
  • robynham84
    robynham84 Posts: 77 Member
    Thank you for all the replies and tips!!!! I will be getting fitted for shoes this week and trying all of the other tips as well!!!!
  • Happyguy
    Happyguy Posts: 90 Member
    Get a rolling pin or "The Stick" to help work out knots in your muscles.

I got one years ago after I had a layoff from running and was trying to get back in shape and it is the best investment I ever made.

It works great for all kinds of muscle aches and pains. You can often feel the knots in your muscles loosening as you use the roller on them. It's something that I'll never be without as long as I'm working out.

Happyguy
  • stephaniep12345mfp
    stephaniep12345mfp Posts: 116 Member
    I have shin splints, too! I agree with what the others here have already said. Make sure you have good running shoes with good support, stretch as much as possible before running, start out slow and build your way up, and ice afterwards. The other thing I've found is that running style can make a difference. My shins tend to bother me far more when my stride is too long. I've been much more successful keeping my body weight over my feet when I put my heel down and then kick out further behind me.

Good luck!!