Irrational fear of not losing anything

Options
I now that If I stick in my calorie range, and make good choice, the weight will come off, slowly but surely... But sometimes I have this fear that it won't What if do everything and it doesn't come off!! I know that it's crazy, but can anyone else relate??

Replies

• pwrightkraft
    Options
    Absolutely! Sometimes you can do everything right and get on the scale and not have lost anything. That's it's really hard to keep motivated and keep on going! Bottom line is weight loss is just math. If you burn more than you eat, you lose. If you eat more than you burn you gain. Just keep it up and you will lose it!
  • nel0311
    nel0311 Posts: 248
    Options
    I freak out all them time. but you have to remember that the stress from thinking that well can hinder you from loosing weight too. Its like being scared your preggos, your period ends up coming late due to stress. Relax and try to enjoy the ride as much as you can.
  • Pomoch325
    Pomoch325 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I'm not afraid of the weight not coming off, because I know if I make the lifestyle changes needed, it will. I am more afraid of getting discouraged and going back to my old habits, or losing the weight and gaining it all back. But, I can only take things one day at a time. I didn't put all this fat on overnight, and it won't come off overnight. I didn't realize how terrifying it could be to change your whole outlook on food around.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! Sometimes you can do everything right and get on the scale and not have lost anything. That's it's really hard to keep motivated and keep on going! Bottom line is weight loss is just math. If you burn more than you eat, you lose. If you eat more than you burn you gain. Just keep it up and you will lose it!

Remind me of this again, would you? I think my body has decided to defy the laws of physics!
  • CheleLynn44
    CheleLynn44 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    It can happen sometimes, that's why it is SO important to have other ways of measuring our successes besides the scale.

I take pictures every month in the same clothes, same place in the house, in the morning. I also took my measurements January 1st and will take them again the first of every month. You could also try on pants or a top that was tight once in a while to see changes there too.

And remember to keep an eye on your energy level and how you feel, that will improve too!

Stay focused, stay positive!!!
  • Romba
    Romba Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Yes, but someone once told me that weightloss is also a mind-thing. If you do not think you will lose weight, you wont. But if you have a positive attitude and believe you will achieve your goals, you will!
  • lucybyrd3
    Options
    just keep it in perspective this way: what you are doing now is much better than what you were doing a day or a week or a month ago. what matters the most is HEALTH and as long as you are making an effort to eat better/cleaner and working out that's all that matters. your body is probably much more happy, your skin is probably clearer and you probably have more energy too. those things matter much more than the number on the scale and if you are patient the numbers will eventually go down. no one told me at the beginning that after a certain point that weight loss would slow way way down but what matters most is the progress that you are making. if you can't say at the end of the day that you have done better today than you did yesterday THEN you should be disappointed and upset.
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! Thing is though, when you stick to the program of being in a calorie deficit and moving (helpful and healthy for us) you will over time lose weight. The opposite is how we gained the weight to begin with. Keep focused and good things will happen :flowerforyou:
  • Squible
    Squible Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I know exactly that you mean the past few weeks I have just stayed round the same weight but I'm trying not to worry as I know that week I wasn't 100% on my diet.
    But I also had to tell myself that I'm just trying to make xmyself healthier in general and although I ha dot lost anything my body is still prefering the good fruit vegetables and protein more than the sugar and fat I was eating prior beginning is journey.
    Anyway what I'm trying to say is try not to worry solely on the numbers, look at the bigger picture, hope this helps :-)
  • sagetracey
    sagetracey Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I definitely relate, although my fear was that I wouldn't be able to lose beyond the point where I have always managed to get previously before falling off the wagon. But this time I have and am past that point by 15kg. Keep on doing the right stuff and you will reap the rewards.
  • kemeko
    kemeko Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    LOL yeah I can totally relate. Before I step on the scale, I say a lil prayer (and I'm not the religious type).. hoping the scale will be nice to me.. I'm doing everything right but I can't shake that irrational fear. Just a few minutes ago, I said to my roommate "Watch, tomorrow it's going to say I gained weight." :grumble:
  • newCourtney
    newCourtney Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I feel this way midweek, and feel pressured to weigh to see if there is any progress. I usually only weigh once a week, because I know if I don't see any progress, I will get discouraged. I like the suggestion of monitoring how clothes fit, but taking measurements has discouraged me before because I wasn't seeing the results. I'm doing different exercises now, so maybe I should try keeping track again--every month instead of every week.
  • IvoryParchment
    IvoryParchment Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    If you're losing a pound a week, it will be over a month before you lose enough that the usual ups and downs of water weight won't conceal it. And if you're exercising, you'll be gaining muscle weight at the same time you're losing fat, so it will be even longer before you show a definite loss on the scale.

Count your calories precisely, weigh and measure everything, and if you don't know the calories for something, find something similar and use the highest estimate in the database. Count your activity as "sedentary," then log all your exercise. Then you will know you're losing regardless of what the scale says.

Besides, what's to be afraid of? If you're eating healthier and exercising more, you're still way ahead of the game, regardless of what the scale says.
  • LiviLou2011
    LiviLou2011 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    uh yeppp lol, all the time, im always saying to myself what if what if, what if i do all this and nothing happens and i never get thin, which ive actually told myself that so many times, that ive quit doing what i was suppost to and then i would gain double the weight, im doing pretty good this time :) so its normal..but when that thought comes into your head just say, i will lose weight and i know i will.
    goodluck :)
  • CreatingColie
    CreatingColie Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I have the same fear, especially because I'm still eating really yummy food (just prepared with healthier ingredients) so I tell myself there's no way it can really only be so little calories. Whenever I think this, I remind myself of what I was eating, how much I wasn't exercising and then I realize that no matter what the scale says, I'm headed in a better direction.
  • cassiebrooks
    cassiebrooks Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    omg i have the same fear!! Im working sooo hard i want resuklts now! But someone on here wrote that you do see changes in other places, A few times the scale hasnt told me what i wanted to hear...lo. but i realized the way my jeans are starting to feel s telling me that im loosing. i also realized that maybe im weighing myself too often so now I only weigh in on Friday.
  • cassiebrooks
    cassiebrooks Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Loved this post ...I often tell myself the same thing !
  • geauxsaints1
    Options
    I so agree with Pomoch! I have to remember that I am doing this for my health and to set the example for my daughters. My bad eating choices have not caught up to me - YET! It has no longer become being thin and looking good by summer, then I can relax in a sweater in winter. Getting the weight off is no longer important. It's being healthy and have energy for children, grandchildren, nieces and nephews. Not sitting next to the swimming pool, at the park watching them play, or inside watching them shoot a basketball. It's not going to be me spending more time in the doctor's office or at the pharmacy and missing so much of what is important to me - family. Making good health choices is making me happier, giving me more energy, and it's getting the weight off. I have a pair of pants that keep me in line. No longer scales.