I seriously need help...please!

Options
2»

Replies

• staclo
    staclo Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    I feel pretty far from my goal. I have 30 lbs or so to go...ugh! :ohwell:

Seriously, go to the link I sent and read it. It will give you some very good information. It isn't very long either.

I did skim through it. I'm familiar with eating low-glycemic foods. I'm not following a strictly low-glycemic diet, but I'm staying away from processed foods as much as possible. I'm eating pretty well, and I'm rarely hungry. The only thing that it suggested that I know I don't do is eat 6 small meals a day. I have 3 main meals and about 3 snacks. I might have missed something, though, so I'll take another look at it. Thanks!
  • fjtcjt
    fjtcjt Posts: 199
    Options
    That is the key to the whole article, having the six meals instead of 3. Now I have no idea how large your meals are, but that is the biggest takeaway from the article. I have known for a long time it is better to eat six small meals than 3 large meals, but I wasn't sure why. This article explains why and it is more than just increasing your metabolism.
  • staclo
    Options
    That is the key to the whole article, having the six meals instead of 3. Now I have no idea how large your meals are, but that is the biggest takeaway from the article. I have known for a long time it is better to eat six small meals than 3 large meals, but I wasn't sure why. This article explains why and it is more than just increasing your metabolism.

My meals are between 300-400 calories, and my snacks are between 100-200 calories.
  • kellch
    kellch Posts: 7,849 Member
    Options
  • staclo
    Options

Thanks! I have run across this before, and was looking for it this morning. I'm going to read it again now!:happy:
  • kellch
    Options
    Oh and this:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing

Also if you go to the Community then General weight loss there are some links in there that have pushpins beside them for Newbies to read. Very good info in there for all the newbies. Read them and use them. Very helpful stuff :flowerforyou:
  • staclo
    Options
    Oh and this:

Also if you go to the Community then General weight loss there are some links in there that have pushpins beside them for Newbies to read. Very good info in there for all the newbies. Read them and use them. Very helpful stuff :flowerforyou:

I've read most of the threads. I'm seriously doing my best. I realize now that I went back through my food diary that I need to up my calories to allow for the exercise. Other than that (and tweaking things based on the plateau thread), I am at a loss.
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    OP, are you eating your exercise calories? Also, you should *never* eat less than 1200 calories a day for an extended period of time. Given the amount of exercise you do, you should be feeding yourself more. When you exercise you actually damage your muscles, and damaged muscles need food to repair themselves.

If you're eating 1100 calories, and then burning 600 calories exercising, that means you've only actually taken in about 500 calories for the day. That's bad - it means your metabolism thinks you're starving, so its slowing itself down to compensate and keep you alive. It's scary to eat more, I know, but in your case you really need to do it. If you have your plan set to lose 2lbs a week, change it to 1lb a week, even 1.5. You need food. When you start eating more, you will most likely gain a few pounds, don't be shocked by this. Your body will take awhile to realize that its not in a famine anymore, and until it does it will try to horde as much as it can as fat, and save all the carbs it can to feed your brain. However that should only last a week or two... afterwards you should notice the weight loss start again.
  • kellch
    Options
    Oh and this:

I've read most of the threads. I'm seriously doing my best. I realize now that I went back through my food diary that I need to up my calories to allow for the exercise. Other than that (and tweaking things based on the plateau thread), I am at a loss.

Good. I'm sure you'll do fine. This is a process and it takes time and patience. Just keep at it. Try new things and when you find something that works for you stick to it. :flowerforyou: Congrats on the weightloss thus far:flowerforyou:
  • idobepity
    idobepity Posts: 4
    Options
    Cut your sugar down to <30g. It plays a huge role in metabolism and weight loss.

:flowerforyou:

211409.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Easy Calorie Counting
  • JDHINAZ
    JDHINAZ Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    I agree with msarro......eat more! This sounds so contradictory, but you do have to keep yourself fueled. Someone once posted that it's like gas in a car....you have to keep gas in the car to keep it moving (she said it much more eloquently than I just did) Bottom line, eat more calories. And you can try mixing up when you take in your calories. Try eating a bigger breakfast....it can really get your metabolism going in the morning. As much as what this seems like it's an exact science, it just isn't. You have to keep trying different healthy things. Eating too little isn't one of them, though.

Keep at it, keep experimenting, DON'T GIVE UP. This isn't the end of the road. You can do it!
  • staclo
    Options
    OP, are you eating your exercise calories? Also, you should *never* eat less than 1200 calories a day for an extended period of time. Given the amount of exercise you do, you should be feeding yourself more. When you exercise you actually damage your muscles, and damaged muscles need food to repair themselves.

If you're eating 1100 calories, and then burning 600 calories exercising, that means you've only actually taken in about 500 calories for the day. That's bad - it means your metabolism thinks you're starving, so its slowing itself down to compensate and keep you alive. It's scary to eat more, I know, but in your case you really need to do it. If you have your plan set to lose 2lbs a week, change it to 1lb a week, even 1.5. You need food. When you start eating more, you will most likely gain a few pounds, don't be shocked by this. Your body will take awhile to realize that its not in a famine anymore, and until it does it will try to horde as much as it can as fat, and save all the carbs it can to feed your brain. However that should only last a week or two... afterwards you should notice the weight loss start again.

My net caloric intake for the past week was 1168. I ate more than that, but with the calories that I burned in exercise, that what the net amount was. I know that I should be netting at least 1200, so I'm at least 32 calories under where I should be (on average). I may need more calories than that, though, I'm not really sure.
  • staclo
    Options
    Cut your sugar down to <30g. It plays a huge role in metabolism and weight loss.

:flowerforyou:

211409.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Easy Calorie Counting

I normally do pretty well with sugar, but I have gone over on a few occasions, usually b/c of milk and fruit. I'm watching this...thanks for the suggestion!
  • staclo
    Options
    I agree with msarro......eat more! This sounds so contradictory, but you do have to keep yourself fueled. Someone once posted that it's like gas in a car....you have to keep gas in the car to keep it moving (she said it much more eloquently than I just did) Bottom line, eat more calories. And you can try mixing up when you take in your calories. Try eating a bigger breakfast....it can really get your metabolism going in the morning. As much as what this seems like it's an exact science, it just isn't. You have to keep trying different healthy things. Eating too little isn't one of them, though.

Keep at it, keep experimenting, DON'T GIVE UP. This isn't the end of the road. You can do it!

Thank you for the encouragement! I don't mean to net under 1200, so b/c I caught that, I'm making adjustments. I wonder if I actually need to eat more than a net of 1200 though. I'll have to play with that number a little.

I eat great breakfasts, actually. That is many times, my largest and healthiest meal of the day. Ack...I'm trying!! :ohwell:
  • staclo
    Options
    Thank you to everyone who has helped me today! I appreciate it so much!! If anyone has anything else, please feel free to post it here or p.m. me. I'm like a sponge right now, b/c I realize that this is a learning experience, so I'm trying to learn as much as possible!!! :smile:
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options

My meals are between 300-400 calories, and my snacks are between 100-200 calories.

if you are eating 3 meals plus snacks then you are eat 5-6 times a day that is fine.
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options

My net caloric intake for the past week was 1168. I ate more than that, but with the calories that I burned in exercise, that what the net amount was. I know that I should be netting at least 1200, so I'm at least 32 calories under where I should be (on average). I may need more calories than that, though, I'm not really sure.

when you say net did you go to your reports or something? where it averages out
  • 00Angela00
    00Angela00 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    try including measuring yourself as well (waist, thigh, hips, etc) sometimes when your building muscle your weight will stay the same or go up a little before dropping again so measuring yourself sometimes helps you see your progression :-D For me at least the weight isn't the real issue it's how I look. :-D