Carbs

Options
I find quite a few people on the boards really have no clue what a simple or complex carb actually is. Here's a very brief, hopefully simple explanation.

Carbohydrates are sugars and starches which are the primary source of fuel for the body. Your body uses carbohydrates found in food and turns this into energy, the energy from carbohydrates are broken down and stored as glucose in the body.

There are several good sources of carbohydrates, but before I give you a basic list you should know that there are two types of carbohydrates, simple and complex carbohydrates.

Simple carbohydrates (sometimes referred to as simple sugars) are found naturally in fruits, milk and milk products and also found in processed foods such as candy, cakes, chocolate etc.

Simple carbohydrates are chemically made of one or two sugars, simple carbohydrates are quickly digested into the bloodstream, which causes your blood sugar levels to rise quite rapidly. Have you ever noticed some runners will eat a chocolate bar or sports drink while running? It's because the simple carbohydrates are quickly absorbed into the bloodstream, creating energy within minutes, not hours.

Complex carbohydrates are found in wholemeal breads, muesli, brown rice, oats, wholegrain pastas, potatoes etc.

Complex carbohydrates are chains of three or more single sugar molecules linked together. Complex carbohydrates are broken down more slowly compared to simple carbohydrates and thus provide a steadier stream of energy throughout the day.

To put it simply you should stick to a diet that consists mainly of complex carbohydrates as there will be healthier foods with a greater nutrition value. Obviously you can consume fruits even though they contain simple carbohydrates, just try to avoid as much as possible the “bad” simple carbohydrates which are candies, chocolates, cola drinks etc.

There are 4 calories in every gram (g) of carbohydrate, so if you are consuming food that has 10g of carbohydrate it means you have consumed 40 calories (4 calories x 10g = 40 calories).

If you are serious about building muscle you must ensure you receive enough energy from carbohydrates to cope with all strenuous weight lifting, remember it’s all well and good getting adequate protein intake to repair and build muscles after a workout, but if you don’t receive adequate carbohydrate intake you won’t have the energy to train several times per week to a high intensity.

Carbohydrates should be consumed throughout the day, however there are certain times that consuming carbohydrates will be advantageous, such as for breakfast when you need the most amount of calories to recover your energy after sleeping and also in your pre and post workout meals.

Replies

• brittanyjeanxo
    brittanyjeanxo Posts: 1,831 Member
    Options
    I am so glad I friended you! As a student in the medical field, it frustrates me so much when people preach about carbs when they very clearly have very little knowledge about them. Thank you for posting this :flowerforyou:
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Carbohydrates should be consumed throughout the day, however there are certain times that consuming carbohydrates will be advantageous, such as for breakfast when you need the most amount of calories to recover your energy after sleeping and also in your pre and post workout meals.

I'm curious to know what difference you think nutrient timing actually makes, for instance I don't see a huge benefit of consuming carbs for breakfast or even eating breakfast for that matter. You can make an argument for pre/post carbs depending on the type of exercise, length and if you are in a fed/fasted state
  • chicklidell
    Options

I'm curious to know what difference you think nutrient timing actually makes, for instance I don't see a huge benefit of consuming carbs for breakfast or even eating breakfast for that matter. You can make an argument for pre/post carbs depending on the type of exercise, length and if you are in a fed/fasted state

There are so many theories when it comes to carb consumption. My personal opinion and what works for me .. Carb rich meals (breads, rice, potatoes, pasta) should be saved for Post Workout time periods. this is when the body benefits most from the carbs. Pre workout carbs aren't as necessary if at all. I believe though this is dependant on how strenuous your workout will be, where are you pulling your energy source from? Lots of people work out quite efficiently on no food consumption at all, believing that will tap into fat reserves, again another debatable topic, the benefits are very slim.

In a nutshell...Pre Workout meals should consist primarily of protein and fats and little carbohydrates. If you’re eating vegetables, this shouldn’t be a problem. Then Post Workout you should be having any meals with a higher carbohydrate content, whether it be sugars or complex carbohydrates. The closer you are to your workout, the more carbohydrates you should be consuming. If you’re not working out, you should probably focus more on fats and protein throughout the entire day. It doesn’t mean that small amounts of carbohydrates will hurt, it just means that carb rich meals should be saved for Post workout time periods.

Just my opinion on the matter...there's no right or wrong way. it's whatever works best for you and your body.
  • chicklidell
    Options
    I am so glad I friended you! As a student in the medical field, it frustrates me so much when people preach about carbs when they very clearly have very little knowledge about them. Thank you for posting this :flowerforyou:

:drinker: education is the key to success
  • Calvinsgrl1
    Calvinsgrl1 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Plus havent studies shown that women benifit more from carbs post work out and men protien....its all very different for everyone!:smile:
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Plus havent studies shown that women benifit more from carbs post work out and men protien....its all very different for everyone!:smile:

I can't recall seeing any. Most studies showing the benefit of carbs pwo, particularly high GI carbs along with protein have been done on subjects after glycogen depletion workouts and in a fasted state

I am a big fan of carbs, the only thing i was questioning the op on, was just how much nutrient timing makes in her opinion
  • brittanyjeanxo
    brittanyjeanxo Posts: 1,831 Member
    Options
    Actually with certain nutrients, timing can be the difference between energy during a workout an very little energy.
  • chicklidell
    Options

I can't recall seeing any. Most studies showing the benefit of carbs pwo, particularly high GI carbs along with protein have been done on subjects after glycogen depletion workouts and in a fasted state

I am a big fan of carbs, the only thing i was questioning the op on, was just how much nutrient timing makes in her opinion

When it comes down to timing, i worry about post workout more then anything...I try to eat within 45 minutes. my brother on the other hand, a serious competitive lifter..thinks the whole idea of timing is ridiculous and he's been training for many years.
  • chicklidell
    Options

I haven't come accross that, the nutritional needs would be the same regardless. If you're building muscle mass, protein is very important, and being women generally fall very short in their protein numbers, I would think that statement may be exagerated.