Do people actually read them?

Options
Hi all :)

I was wondering if anyone actually reads other peoples food diaries before commenting? I was only wondering as yesterday I logged a pretty bad day which included a lot of high calorie junk (kripy kreme 359cal jaffa cake doughnut ect) and all the responses I got where "brilliant day" , "great day" ect. I've also seen this done when someone completes their diary probably by mistake after only logging breakfast.

I personally don't comment at all on friends diarys as I don't have time to read them all. Sorry if this is coming across as a bit of a rant but I've been wondering it for a while.

Replies

• xMissy6x
    xMissy6x Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    i do. i only comment if ive read it and it looks good.
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    i do - i dont comment if i havent looked, and i try to give advice without sounding preachy, if it seems "needed".
  • takehimaway
    takehimaway Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    If someone stays under their goal, I tell them they did well. Bottom line. If they didn't, I still tell them they did well, because they logged. Also, not everyone is on the same time zone as you, so when someone is logging in the morning, it may be their night; don't forget.
  • Galletakek
    Options
    I do :) ill only comment if I read them.
  • KokomoJoe
    KokomoJoe Posts: 435
    Options
    If it looks good I will comment, if it looks bad, I shuddup. That's the way I roll.
  • Clarecbear82
    Clarecbear82 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    If someone stays under their goal, I tell them they did well. Bottom line. If they didn't, I still tell them they did well, because they logged. Also, not everyone is on the same time zone as you, so when someone is logging in the morning, it may be their night; don't forget.
    I didn't mean they complete in the morning I mean they point out they pressed complete to early and still get well dones. Most of my friends are in different time zones so can't forget that
  • PrincessLou71186
    PrincessLou71186 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    i do. i only comment if ive read it and it looks good.

Same. Encouragement is great but 'Praising' a bad day when someone is wants to eat healthy is not the way to do it.

I had some one say "great day" when I'd ate barely anything and what I did was crap, that came across to me as sarcastic and I felt crap for it.

On the other hand, another day I ate barely anything and wasn't well (spent most off the day in bed asleep) and to see people saying "great effort" didn't make me feel as bad.

Some are commenting on the fact that you have logged, some because despite what you ate, you didn't go over and some are commenting on what you have logged.
  • boelyn
    boelyn Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I try and view the diary for inspiration before I comment, however if someone is below there daily goal then that is good and I feel I'm only in the position to encourage at the moment as I'm early on my journey, may give feedback in the future..

B
  • monkeymouse74
    Options
    I have my diary set to private, so I dont read/comment on peoples diary's. I feel that if I'm not wanting advice on my diary, I should'nt be giving advice on theirs. And if I did open my diary, I would read not only their diary, but their goals as well. If someone is trying to bulk, a low calorie day is not exactly something to celebrate! And the same can be said for exercise. I have seen praise given for really bad exercise day's. I'm not talking about someone who struggle's with exercise, but someone who usually has a higher exercise log on average being praised for 10 min of shopping or something.
  • LolaGotThin
    LolaGotThin Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    When I'm on my phone, I can't look. :< Since that's how I use MFP most of the time, I just say good job! I do go in and read them when I am able, mostly because I just get so curious as to what people eat!
  • adjones5
    adjones5 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I only comment on the content if I have read it. If their diary is locked or if they had a bad day then I just congratulate them on logging.
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I've only recently joined, but I try not to comment on food logging but on successful weight loss and on comments people have made. To some, my diet might not look particularly healthy - I eat a lot of white carby foods and have Coco Pops, for instance - but I'm in control, healthy and losing weight. I've learnt a lot about myself on this journey, and it's what works best for me.

I'd have to have known a person's journey for a long time to comment on the specifics of what they're eating - who am I to say a pie and chips, which would be bad for me to have, isn't a huge step up from what they've come from?
  • rsouthland
    Options
    Being one who is unfit and trying to make the best of things, I love it when I am encouraged, but more importantly, because I know how it makes me feel,I'm really deligent about praising any efforts. The mere fact that someone was aware of thierry intake and logged is worthy of an adda boy, even if they went under or over their goals. I read most of my friends diaries, if nothing else, I've gained alot of ideas that help me.
  • pink_and_shiny
    pink_and_shiny Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you have very supportive friends, so why are you complaining?
  • capaxinfiniti
    capaxinfiniti Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I only comment if I read it :) I try to look to the positives too.

Say if they went over on calories way too much or something but drank plenty of water, I compliment them on their water intake.
  • takehimaway
    takehimaway Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I didn't mean they complete in the morning I mean they point out they pressed complete to early and still get well dones. Most of my friends are in different time zones so can't forget that

Interesting..
  • godricshollow
    godricshollow Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I don't read diaries because... I don't really care what other people are eating. If my friends were asking for help with their eating, then it would be a different story and I'd read and comment in that circumstance but other than that? It isn't my business what they're eating. That is just a personal preference though, but I have noticed people comment for the sake of it lmao.
  • dilleight
    Options
    I think it's an achievement to log a bad day rather than just giving up on calorie counting. If I log a high day it means I'm still trying whereas if I disappear I might have given up. Also if someone is just over on their calories they might still be doing enough to lose weight, even if more slowly.
  • BohemianDestiny
    BohemianDestiny Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I only comment if i look at them. :) I hope people do the same for me.
  • asyouseefit
    asyouseefit Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    I only comment if there's something noteworthy that day (something fancy or something I'm curious about).