What is best to burn calories quickly?

Options
What do people think is the best form of exercise for burning calories quickly out of these?
Exercise bike, cross trainer, treadmill (walking fast) or swimming.

I know it all depends really on how much gusto you put into each activity but lets assume you put the same amount of effort into each, which would be best?

Thanks all :happy:

Replies

• mhamlin
    mhamlin Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Elliptical or weight belt and treadmill works best for me. Good Luck!
  • merice107
    Options
    Swimming (uses your whole body) or treadmill intervals. Keep the treadmill on at least a 1% incline. A 0% incline is like going downhill. The higher the incline the better!
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    HIIT is the only way.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I would say swimming, you use many more muscles (arms, legs, back) so it is a total work out, not just on your legs like walking or running. The key is to do whatever activity that you like best. The best exercise is the one you will actually do!
  • Alicja_W
    Alicja_W Posts: 169
    Options
    i think that swimming may not be the best to burn calories but its the best to exercise all parts of your body :happy: but for the calories i think eliptical will be goof :flowerforyou:
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Whichever gets your heart rate up. I'd choose to do the exercise bike out of the list. Spin class maybe?
  • RachelSusannah2012
    Options
    I would think swimming. :)
  • munkeyfunk
    munkeyfunk Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Running 100%
  • Matthew_Wilde
    Matthew_Wilde Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Why not put each one in your exercise log, and see which give the most.

I think its running.
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    I like the elliptical or arc trainer -- and the stair climber.... :) (Let me rephrase that -- I don't like the stairclimber - but it's a great calorie burner!)
  • ladylu11
    ladylu11 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    on the treadmill the higher the incline the more you burn.
    on the elliptical, the higher the resistance the more you burn
  • StressedChaos
    StressedChaos Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I would think that doing HIIT on the treadmill is your best option out of the choices given.
  • msmichelelynn
    Options
    From what I've heard, Zumba is an amazing calorie burner. I have seen some impressive results with people who partake.
  • fasttrack27
    Options
    Based on the four options you listed, I'd say swimming. If you qualify the bike by saying 'spin class', then I might pick that one instead (or rotate between them - better yet)
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    i'm a budding triathlete, and my favorite thing about it is that i pretty much have to swim, bike, run, and lift pretty equally over the course of the week. it helps prevent injuries and build a lot of power.
  • fredd500
    fredd500 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Technically if you put the same effort into something, you can expect the same return i.e. weight loss. What I think you are asking is which exercise allows you to expend the most effort for the same amount of time and that unfortunately comes back to how much effort you put in over that time. If you push yourself to your limit, you will probably find that elliptical or swimming will hurt less for the same effort and time due to them being low impact exercises. Running puts a lot of pressure on your joints and cycling can cripple your knees if the bike isn't properly adjusted.
  • gj4man
    gj4man Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Have you not got access to a rowing machine? That's supposed to be just about the most effective cardio in terms of calories burned.
  • auticus
    auticus Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    Running. If I run for an hour I burn over 1000 calories. Swimming, row machines, etc... are also good but they don't come to the level of running in terms of calories burned. At least for me.

Important note though if you have knee or back issues or are very overweight, I'd reccomend light impact cardio until some weight has been lost. In those instances swimming or the eliptical are the best options (again IMO)
  • Stepmom1
    Stepmom1 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Its not on your list, but adding the resistance of weights in your training, helps you burn calories and fat very effectively. IT makes your body work harder, therefore, more calories and fat are used to help you do that. :happy:
  • kahlee2000
    Options
    Swimming. It takes more energy to move through water than through air. I use the pool everyday and in 1 hour I burn over 1300 calories.