Thyroid

Options
Hi there,

Just started on MFP again.But this time I am facing weight loss with Hypothyroidism. Does anyone have any suggestions on losing the weight around the stomach and chest area that is normal for under active thyroid.

Thanks

Replies

• brenda_71
    brenda_71 Posts: 151
    Options
    I have that. But once you have the right dose of synthriod you can lose weight just like everyone else.
  • afireswife
    afireswife Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I am finally at the right dose of synthroid, but gained 20lbs and cant seem to lose it, no matter what I do for exercise and diet. I guess I am just frustrated!!!
  • amyllu
    amyllu Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I have had an underactive thyroid problem for many years and lost 30lbs from April 2010 till Xmas 2010 so I don't think that in itself is a problem but having had a comlete plateau for ALL of 2011 and tried just about everything I have put it down more to do with other ailments that I have where the medications are the big problem.
    Hope that inspires you to keep trying.
    As for myself I shall be trying and experimenting in all sorts of ways to get things moving again...
    Wishing you all the very best in your endeavours....:smile:
  • LJGmom
    LJGmom Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Add t3 hormone to your wu throid...it's really working for me. I also exercise 4 days a weeknand log every bite to stay under calories. You can do this!
  • chicky89
    chicky89 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    one word of advise!!! dont skips your thyroid meds... I did for 2 weeks, and gained 10 pounds... when Im on them, and watching what Im eating, I have no issue losing weight.
  • jlpeters77
    jlpeters77 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I've had hypothyroidism (underactive thyroid) for years. Once you get the dosage right on the synthroid, you should be able to gain/lose weight just like anyone else. The most important thing is to get the medication right so you only sleep 8-10 hours per night : ) Tough to lose weight if you sleep 14 hours per day!
    Good luck!
  • janalayn
    janalayn Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I have been struggling with thyroid issues since surgery in the Spring that removed 1/2 of my thyroid as well as a benign tumor. My meds are finally regulated and I am started to lose weight. Check with your doctor to see where he "thinks" your thyroid level should be .. for people being treated for thyroid disorders, the levels should be between .3 to 3.0 but most labs show 5.0 as "normal" but that is too high when you have thyroid issues. Mine is now at 2.19 after 8 months. Make sure you drink all your water and have your B12 checked as well. Watch what you eat and exercise regularly. It is not impossible to lose with low thyroid but you do have to be much more vigilant.
  • jill___
    jill___ Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Just watch what you eat and exercise everyday! I had doctors tell me for YEARS that I couldn't lose weight with Hypothyroidism so I never tried... when I finally put in the smallest effort, it worked!
  • Steffi330
    Steffi330 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I am finally at the right dose of synthroid, but gained 20lbs and cant seem to lose it, no matter what I do for exercise and diet. I guess I am just frustrated!!!

Don't get frustrated.... I too have hypothyroidism. This site is fantastic with information. If you really want to lose it you can. Track every calorie you put in your mouth... Don't lie to yourself bc your just sabatoging yourself. It hurts no one but you. I have lost 54 lbs since my son was born in August and I am looking forward to shedding the last 55 - 65. I do some sort of exercise everyday and I watch every calorie. I try to make the best choices as far as food but I still enjoy a cookie or piece of pie if I can afford it in my calories. If your just starting with exercise then just start with walking but get moving that is key to bringing up your metabolism. If I can do this.... anyone can!! I have been heavy my entire life. I had high cholesterol since I was 12 years old. With diet and exercise I finally have a normal cholesterol level. Anything is possible if you put your mind to it. You can do it... we can do it together. Feel free to friend me. Always remember your not alone... someone else has been or is in the same situation as you.
  • samhradh
    samhradh Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/753-hypothyroidism-and-hyperthyroidism

Hi,
    there is a group of us here maybe support from people in the same situation would be of benefit.
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    Add t3 hormone to your wu throid...it's really working for me. I also exercise 4 days a weeknand log every bite to stay under calories. You can do this!

I wouldn't advise this without your doctors consent, especially if you are new to your thyroid condition. If you have to have bloods done every so often when you get your prescription, your T3 will come out too high and they'll lower your T4! the only way you can avoid that then is telling them that you took T3 on top of what they gave you.. they may still lower your T4 for a while until the T3 levels drop so any weight you lost on the T3 will go straight back on when they lower your T4!

Also if your thyroid is still converting T4 to T3 itself, (ie. it just isn't making enough T4)... when you take T3 for a long time your thyroid will stop converting the medication because it no longer needs to if you are giving it T3 too!

T3 is given when you body can't convert the T4,
    T4 is given when your thyroid doesn't make enough T4 on its own!

Take it from someone who was born with theirs not working 42yrs ago!

If you choose to go ahead be prepared for palpitations, tremor, thinning hair and heart problems in the foreseeable future! (if you don't have an heart attack first!) sorry if this seems a little rough/scary but if you make your thyroid over active there's only ONE solution.. SURGERY! (if that's not already the reason you are now hypothyroid).

Try dropping wheat for a few weeks instead, I read about a link between wheat and hypothyroidism.. dropped it from my diet and lost half a stone (7lbs) in the first week!... my tummy also shrunk loads (13", 32lbs lost) .. much safer alternative to try.

Be safe! :flowerforyou:
  • afireswife
    Options
    Thanks!!!!
  • Sauchie
    Sauchie Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    i have it and have been doing ok. Ups and downs... Forgot to take meds a while gained 15 back on the horse this week.
  • tambink
    tambink Posts: 349
    Options
    I have hypo too and I have struggled with that for a while but once you find the right program and exercise you can loose weight it takes time and you need to be patient but you can do it. :smile:
  • afireswife
    Options
    Thanks! My levels are high normal.3.5. I go every 3 months for lab work still. I honestly think I was Hyper for a few years, because the weight would just fall off me when I did cardio. I am just getting use to taking meds every day and trying to get my motivation back to work out. Looking forward to reaching my weight loss goal.