Help me please

Options
rose313
rose313 Posts: 1,146 Member
Hi, I have made big changes in the last 6 months since I have been on MFP but I haven't lost much weight. The only weight I have lost is from the two weeks that I was off my birth control...but even if BC makes it harder to lose weight, I am working hard at the gym and eating better so the weight should still be coming off!

I turned my food diary to public, could anyone look at it and give me some advice? Thank you in advance.

Replies

• amonkey9
    Options
    This is just my opinion but I this you need more nutritious food. It's not all about being within calories, but also choosing the right foods. Add more veggies and proteins ( either lean meat or beans or something ) things like dominos and stuff can be okay in moderation, but not too often, they are just "empty calories". Choose more wholesome foods :) expirement.
  • rose313
    Options
    I was wondering that...I eat Domino's salads, Dunkin Donuts egg white flatbreads, and a couple other fast food items often. I stay around 1200 calories a day, sometimes less, but I don't know why I should pay more and spend more time making better foods if I'm taking in the same calories. Would it fill me up more or something?
  • sarasashas
    sarasashas Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hi Rose, firstly if you think your birth control is having a big effect on your weight then you should go to your gp and talk to them about it and see if you can try a different one. They have different effects on different people and its important to find which is best for you (I've seen friends transform into crabby *****es or gain loads of weight just for being on a certain pill for a few weeks)

I had a quick look at your diary, your calorie intake is defiantly low, although not hugely healthy. Try and get your calories from healthier sources like fruit, veg and all those boring things. Also in terms of quantity youre not eating very much, its likely that your metabolism is low. Try to get in a couple of healthy snacks a day without reducing your meals.

Oh and one tip for the gym- I finally learnt that rather than bopping along to music on the cross trainer for half an hour at a comfortable pace, its way more effective to work your butt off for 15 mins until you think your legs are going to fall off, cool down, then do it again.

Im no expert and I'm new to this site but looking at your food diary it seems like your eating habits are A LOT like mine used to be. hope this helps! x
  • TriciaZ944
    TriciaZ944 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above poster... Change up your diet. You eat out a lot and not all of the choices are great. Although you are within your calorie goal you are not eating very healthy. If you can try preparing your own meals, if you aren't home a lot prep them ahead of time and bring healthy snacks with you like fruits and vegetables.
  • ish4krys
    ish4krys Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others as well. Also, try cutting out the booze and substituting it with fruits and veggies.
  • rose313
    Options
    Thank you very much. I have cut way down on the booze. In the past I would binge drink every night. Now I drink 1 or 2 beers a day. Recently I went to a hockey game and had 5, but that doesn't happen often. I also quit smoking cold turkey about 3 months ago! I still want to cut down more on the beer but it's sooo good lol.
  • sarahmoore6172
    sarahmoore6172 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm at uni doing Human Nutrition I am in my final year and am new to this app (2 days). If you eat out a lot are you acurate with your calorie intake? Also, I agree food should be varied with focus on fruit and vegetables and carbohydrates are important but should come from slow release sources so cutting out refined and choosing wholewheat varities. Also if you are going to the gym you will be 'replacing' fat with muscle so maybe that is why you appear not to have lost weight, so what about going by measurements rather than just weight as an indication.
  • rose313
    Options
    I am extremely accurate with my intake. Measurements have not changed since the beginning.
  • lawkat
    lawkat Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Since it appears you eat out a lot, the amount of sodium that you are consuming could be holding you back. Plus eating out means that you don't know how things are prepared, so the amount of calories you think you are consuming could actually be a lot higher than you think. Also, I found that the more I ate out the less I lost and that I actually gained weight. I have starting eating more fruits and vegetables and preparing most of my meals at home and keeping close track of what I eat. When I do that the weight is coming off.

I see very few fruits and vegetables in your diet. I would stay away from eating out so much and if you are going to have sweets, try find some healthy alternatives. Simple changes will help the weight come off.

As for drinking, I have a glass of wine 3-4 nights a week and it hasn't hindered my weight loss. However, I only have one glass at night. Any more and I find it slows my weight loss progress down. Can you just have one beer at night?
  • MummyTink1987
    Options
    In my opinion, you seem to be eating well with your calorie goal but the types of food you are eating could be holding you back. Try having a piece of fruit and a yogurt for breakfast with a coffee, And instead of high sodium snacks try swapping them for fruit or vegetable sticks. Fruit and vegetables are a great source as they fill you up and give you lots of energy. Also try not to eat out as often if you can, try making your lunch and eating it before you go or taking it with you. If you cant then try to eat things like grilled chicken or fish with vegetables or rice as they are tasty and filling. Just keep swapping foods and you will get there. keep your chin up and keep motivated. good luck x
  • dargytaylor
    dargytaylor Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Since it appears you eat out a lot, the amount of sodium that you are consuming could be holding you back.

this^^

are you drinking enough water?
  • jenlarz
    jenlarz Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    And if you prepare your own it can not only cut back on sodium but on the preservatives they put in pre-made stuff.