Run/Walk Across America Challenge Week 1

Options
I'm sorry I didn't start this and explain the challenge sooner, as I had some internet issues yesterday and couldn't get on. Normally, I'll start a new thread every Monday so that the thread won't get too long and cumbersome and post it on your walls so that you can find it like I did today.

So far, 14 of us have accepted the challenge. I am still waiting to hear back from more people, so we may end up with more. Some people I know from Maria's challenges but there are also some new faces, so I would love to hear about you and your walking/running habits.

This is our planned course and list of Checkpoints along I-10 ( I will repost this at the beginning of every week for reference):

Start Santa Monica, CA: 0
Palm Springs, CA: 12.0 miles
Blythe, CA: 24.2 miles
Phoenix, AZ: 38.9 miles
Tucson, AZ: 50.5 miles
Lordsburg, NM: 65.5 miles
El Paso, TX: 79.9 miles
Van Horn, TX: 94 miles
Ozona, TX: 115.9 miles
San Antonio, TX: 135 miles
Houston, TX: 155.3 miles
Lake Charles, LA: 171.2 miles
New Orleans, LA: 191.4 miles
Mobile, AL: 205.8 miles
Bottle Branch, FL: 216.7 miles
Tallahasee, FL: 229.6 miles
Finish Jacksonville, FL: 246 miles

Below is what the list will look like. Once you tell me how much you've ran/walked since the last time you checked in (either by posting here, or if you can't get here, PM me or put it on my wall), I'll add your distance and move you on the list accordingly. I'll keep us ranked and I'll include the last checkpoint (LC) passed so we know where everyone is.

Have fun and don't forget to check in as often as you can! :)

1st: anichols2288. 4.57 miles. LC: Santa Monica, CA.

mariawells
smurfette75
thamre
leslye125
mariababe81
Promethea79
jbessolo
cm1479
staceyb2003
nulife9727
skfj5
leomentlines
wellsd1984

Newly Added: KABlackwell
fierrox5
kimertruns13_1

Replies

• smurfette75
    smurfette75 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    Thanks for organizing. I've actually visited some of the spots we're passing through!!
  • PBmaria
    PBmaria Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Sadly, this is an easy week from me so I won't be logging a bunch of miles.
    But fear not, I'll be playing catch up soon! ;)
  • Jaymefirst
    Jaymefirst Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the invite!! I'm in!
  • Alexagetsfit
    Alexagetsfit Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    By the way, My name is Alexa for those of you who don't know. I am 23 years old and I live in Houston, TX for the moment. (Yes, we are running/walking through Houston. And yes, I did that on purpose.) I started running (more like slowly jogging) a few months ago after a two year hiatus and it feels great. I somehow got talked into running my first half marathon with a few of my friends, one of which is doing this challenge with us! It is in February and while I am pumped, I am not going to lie that I am a little scared too. I look forward to seeing all of you on the road!
  • nokey73
    nokey73 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Would love to join your challenge! Please add me to the group! Thanks fierrox5 for the invite :)
  • Amanda_Runs
    Amanda_Runs Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    this is a fun idea!
  • Alexagetsfit
    Options
    Would love to join your challenge! Please add me to the group! Thanks fierrox5 for the invite :)

You are added!
  • thamre
    thamre Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Alexagetsfit
    Options
    1st: anichols2288. 4.57 miles. LC: Santa Monica, CA.
    2nd: Kimertruns13_1. 3.1 miles. LC: Santa Monica, CA.

mariawells
    smurfette75
    thamre
    leslye125
    mariababe81
    Promethea79
    jbessolo
    cm1479
    staceyb2003
    nulife9727
    skfj5
    leomentlines
    wellsd1984
    KABlackwell
    fierrox5
    nokey73
    really_me
  • reallymyBEST
    reallymyBEST Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Is this a closed challenge or would I be able to join? I have been running for almost two years now and have a Half Marathon goal for this year. I'm definitely committed, on a winter training schedule now, and will start the Half training in the spring when the weather's a little better here in MN. This would really seal it for me. I've been on MFP for over a year, lost 45#, but just started a new account at the beginning of the year to recharge, reset, and re-energize my goals. :) Thanks!
  • Alexagetsfit
    Options
    Is this a closed challenge or would I be able to join? I have been running for almost two years now and have a Half Marathon goal for this year. I'm definitely committed, on a winter training schedule now, and will start the Half training in the spring when the weather's a little better here in MN. This would really seal it for me. I've been on MFP for over a year, lost 45#, but just started a new account at the beginning of the year to recharge, reset, and re-energize my goals. :) Thanks!

I will close the challenge as some point, but as of now, you are definitely able to join. Looking forward to running with you!
  • reallymyBEST
    Options
    Great, I'm really happy about this!
  • staceyb2003
    staceyb2003 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Does this start 1/9 or from the beginning of the year. I got 10miles in last week. :) I'm training for a mini in May.
  • Alexagetsfit
    Options
    Does this start 1/9 or from the beginning of the year. I got 10miles in last week. :) I'm training for a mini in May.

Sorry, it starts 1/9. I don't know that everyone would remember what they did last week, so I can't include it.
  • reallymyBEST
    Options
    1/9 - 6.75mi
    My distance will probably go up and down w/ the MN weather. Sunny and 47 today!
  • RubyRed1999
    RubyRed1999 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    If you have room for more I would like to join in.
  • kat_renee
    kat_renee Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    This sounds really cool....can I join?
  • kat_renee
    Options
    So I just post here what I've done?

If so, I did 2 miles today.
  • kat_renee
    Options
    This sounds really cool....can I join?

Thank you for letting me join. :)
  • skfj5
    skfj5 Posts: 70
    Options
    Okay...do I start with January 1st? I'll put down my runs from January 1st on...and you add the ones that count. And then we'll go from there!!

1/3/2012 - 5.98 miles
    1/5/2012 - 5.49 miles
    1/7/2012 - 14.43 miles
    1/10/2012 - 6.70 miles

Thanks!!

Shannan