Diabetic Meals?

Options
Does any one have any quick and easy low-carb/high-protein meals for those of us with diabetes who are not only trying to watch calorie intake but also keep our sugars at a good level?

Replies

• TrudyJo195
    Options
    I have to watch my carbs to. I just look at what I'm planning on eating and add the carbs. I try not to go over 60 carbs per meal. I usually don't. It's not easy sometimes. IF you come up with anything good let me know. I'm looking as well.
  • irridia
    irridia Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    nothing specific, but general rules for control: drop pasta and potatos and bread for any meal not near a workout. I put spaghetti sauce over fresh spinach and it's quite tasty that way. I haven't tried it yet but someone suggested shaving extra firm tofu with a vegie peeler and using that for noodles. Eat tons of veggies but go easy on cucumbers, carrots and tomatoes. strawberries are better than grapes, apples are better than banannas. Lift weights 3x's per week and add mild cardio daily. with 2 days off.
    when you do eat pasta or bread use whole grain only and eat potatoes and rice of any kind sparingly if at all and potatoes should be with skins and rice should be brown.

check out stronglifts 5x5 google or check mfp. good luck.
  • Judway
    Judway Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    if you go to a site called skinnytaste,com they are excellent and have diabetic recipes let me know if you look there
  • grannygethealthy1111
    Options
    Ask your physician for a referral to see an RD (registered dietitian) who will design your meal plans around YOUR medical history.
  • Amber82479
    Amber82479 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I enjoy the Betty Crocker cookbook for diabetics. Also, check out the recipes on dlife.com. It's a site for diabetics. They have lots of good recipes there!
  • Fletch0502
    Options
    Egg whites with spinach, asparagus and cheese either in skillet or as a quiche! Its super yummy.

chicken & baked asparagus with lemon

If you need a good protein shake Metagenics makes one..