I have a head cold. Go to the Gym or Stay away?

Options
So i had a head cold start to set in on Friday. I went ahead and went to the gym. Through Saturday and Sunday the cold got bad, so me and theraflu became very good friends. I am feeling a touch better today (not a ton) and now it is starting to move into my chest,. So do i just suck it up and go to the gym anyway, or stay home, drink lots of water and wait for it to pass. I also do not want to infect anyone else with this crud. Thoughts?

Replies

• macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    Stay home!
  • robynluvsjesus
    robynluvsjesus Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    My experience is, if you feel it going into your chest, stay home. Let your lungs rest. You can't breath well enough to get a good workout in already and you'll make it worse. Plus, your fellow gym goers will appreciate you not spreading the germs. :) If you feel like you have to get some physical activity in, go for a light walk and some crunches, push-ups and stuff at home.
  • vestarocks
    vestarocks Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Stay home and take care of yourself. You will heal more quickly than "sweating it out." Just don't let it derail you. Get back to it as soon as you are feeling better.
  • miss_missa07
    Options
    I'd say do some light working out at home (calisthenics, walking, etc.). That way you don't have to worry about getting anyone else sick! Don't push yourself too hard, though, since your body will need to heal from the cold!
  • cheri0627
    cheri0627 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Stay home so as not to share your cold with everyone else. If you feel you must work out, there are plenty of things you can do at home.
  • ImJDLookatME
    Options
    If you feel up to go to the gym, I suggest doing something that's not cardio like weight lifting or yoga, you don't want to push your body too hard
  • jasharp021
    jasharp021 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I would say do something at home as well. Maybe a walk around the block or something low intensity. If you go to the gym you may risk hurting yourself since you don't feel 100%, may get sicker because you stressed your body too much or worse of all.. have a poor workout ;-)

Something light may help break up what you have in your chest.

Feel better!
  • VonRockette
    VonRockette Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Stay home for multiple reasons. If you are sick you should not be doing a super hard workout, especially if you have a head cold so it would be hard on your sinus' to breath and such. If it's anywhere in your lungs you def should not be!
    Also, stay home so you're not getting everyojne else sick so they won't be able to work out :P

Do some light yoga at home!
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    If it's in your chest, stay home. The other gym goers will thank you! Nobody likes somebody coughing all over the equipment...
  • benmarcum
    benmarcum Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Rockin' Thanks yall. That is what i was thinking too but i just wanted to double check that i was not just talking myself out of going to the gym :)

Cheers!