Eating on a budget

Options
What are some things you recommend when dieting on a budget?

Replies

• brittanyjeanxo
    brittanyjeanxo Posts: 1,831 Member
    Options
    Staples in my house growing up on a budget were pasta, potatoes, soup, and rice, usually brown. All very filling. I also highly recommend shopping at Trader Joe's if you have one near. They have sensational deals. They work by only having one brand of everything--Trader Joe's brand. Plus, most of it, if not all, is organic and insanely delicious.
  • ltlemermaid
    ltlemermaid Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    Brown rice
    Frozen veggies (last longer still good for you) fresh veggies if you will eat them in the next 2-3 days
    fruit (great for sweet cravings)
    Beans-all kinds
    get meat on sale/stock up a little when it is on sale
    popcorn-kernals (made in a popcorn popper) and great for snacking
    yogurt-I love Chobani and stock up when its on sale

I recently implemented a $50/week budget for us (2 adults) and so far so good. I tend to limit the processed foods and cook a lot at home instead
  • alyssaguirguis
    Options
    big fan of soup here, too. I use it as a way to clean out my fridge, lol. whatever veggies i or meat we haven't used (even if already cooked, usually some leftover boneless/skinless chicken breast that needs a second life) gets thrown in the pot with chicken or vegetable broth. The great thing is that even if the veggies are a little limp or whatever it doesn't matter because you are just going to boil them in the broth anyway.
    If you can invest in one cheap piece of kitchen equipment that will help save a ton of money it is a slow cooker. You can buy dry beans for way cheaper than even canned, cook in slow cooker, and freeze what you don't use. You can buy inexpensive cuts of meat that can be kind of tough but cook them slowly, with little to no fat added, and they will come out tender and flavorful. Slow cookers also take almost no energy in comparison to a stove or oven (whether you use gas or electric) so you save even more money over time in utility bills.
  • Kateinprogress
    Options
    You can buy a large amount of couscous for 5-7 dollars and it puffs up enormously so you get a lot of food out of it! Rozoni Smart Taste pasta is usually on sale for $1 per box and has 6 servings of the healthiest pasta I've found. I ALWAYS get store brand frozen veggies because they're usually cheaper than fresh, especially broccoli and cauliflower. Farmers market eggs are usually cheaper if you live near one, skim milk is always fairly cheap and an excellent source of lean protein. Hope that helps! :)
  • jaynniembaby
    jaynniembaby Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! :]
    I spend maybe $40/week and by the end of the week it seems like I have nothing last! The only thing that seems to last are my yogurts & string cheese! But thank you for all the advice on shopping on a budget! If anyone else has any more suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated! <3
  • Nicolette_Karls
    Options
    Making your own soup is a great way to ensure that you use up any extra veggies. I tend to buy carrots, celery, mushrooms, etc. and some cans of chicken/beef broth. That way I have some easy to make soup, as well as some healthy snacks! Popcorn is also extremely filling and (in my opinion) a cheap little snack.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    rice
    eggs
    milk (I get powdered as it's way cheaper & I don't have to buy it so often)
    fresh & frozen veggies
    tuna cans
    canned veggies /beans
    oats
    cheapest meat you can get (I buy in bulk at butchers)

Stay away from the processed stuff like muesli bars etc as these are quite expensive for the minimal food you actually get IMO.
  • jaynniembaby
    jaynniembaby Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thank you!
    powdered milk?! Is that even tasty?! haha
  • bahacca
    bahacca Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Powdered milk is NASTY if you are just drinking it straight and are used to the liquid stuff. It is fine for stuff like smoothies, though.
    If you are single, find another single friend(or 2) and split a membership to Costco. String cheese, eggs, milk, huge bags of spinach and baby carrots are cheap, especially if you can divide them up. Bananas are another healthy, cheap food.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Don't plan a menu and then go shopping. Rather, shop for what is on sale and plan a menu around it.
    Stock up on non-perishables and frozen foods when they are on sale.
    Buy fresh produce in season when it's cheap.
    Clip coupons
    Cheap non-perishables such as brown rice, barley, whole grain pasta and dried beans are great ways to add bulk to a meal without breaking the bank or your diet.
  • littlebeans
    littlebeans Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to stick to a budget too. I've been trying something different and so far it's working. My new plan is once a week I roast a ton of veggies (this time parsnips, carrots, fennel, red onion, and potatoes) in a little olive oil and salt and pepper, about 8 cups worth. I also make a big batch of brown rice and cook 1lb bag of chickpeas (all dried beans are super cheap) All of these went into the fridge after they're ready.

So far I've based my meals around these ingredients. For example, dicing up the roasted veggies to add to egg whites, or making chickpea burgers with brown rice. For a salad I've tossed rice, roasted veggies, and chickpeas over mixed greens with a light salad dressing. Tonight I'm planning gnocchi with roasted veggies, sausage (bought on sale, frozen) and jarred tomato sauce.

The best thing is I know exactly how much is in everything since I've calculated out portion sizes ahead of time.

I'm even thinking of next week cooking a bunch of dark greens like kale or spinach, so I can quickly add them to broth for a fast soup, omelets, with a poached egg, to toss with pasta. etc.
  • LeslieMartina
    LeslieMartina Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I buy in the bulk section at health food stores. It saves a lot on grains or other dry goods.
    I also bought a salad keeper from Amazon for about $10. It really keeps veggies fresh longer, so I don't waste money throwing food out.
    I use coupons and plan my meals around what's on sale.
    I usually buy frozen veggies (the store brand).
    Think about what you really need before going to the grocery store too. Don't just whrow things in your cart all willy-nilly.
  • nrvo
    nrvo Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Always check out store circulars for good sales. Buy store brands instead of name brands - it is usually the same stuff anyway. Compare prices per ounce - normally the largest size container is the cheapest (but sometimes smaller sizes can be less when they are on sale). Stock up on staples like bags of dry brown rice, lentils, and beans (bags are almost always cheaper than cans/pouches/frozen, not to mention lower in sodium). If you have a farmers markey nearby, go towards the end of the day when vendors are more willing to haggle over prices of fresh produce.
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    I find it is mainly about economies of scale so I batch cook at weekends, making several nights dinner and freezing them. You can pretty much freeze anything once cooked, it also makes healthy eating much easier if you have home made healthy meals frozen that you can just heat up like a pre-prepared shop bought meal.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Chili, especially vegetarian chili, is ridiculously cheap and filling. A can of red kidney beans, a can of tomatoes (no-sodium versions) and some chili powder, and you're good to go. Beans and mashed potatoes, pasta and sauce and tuna sandwiches are all cheap and easy. Breakfast wraps are great, too.
  • heartshines
    heartshines Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Are you just eating for one?
    The Michelina's lean meals are very affordable. Low in calories and only cost $1 here.
  • wildon883r
    wildon883r Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Eating healthy costs less then eating all those high priced processed boxed foods in the supermarket. You should spend 95% of your money shopping the perimeter and very little shopping pollution ally which is what i call the isles in the center. You can buy meat on sale in fact use coupons whenever you can. Fresh veggies and frozen veggies are good and inexpensive. Dried beans of all types generally for a lb cost less then $1.50 a bag. Everybody thinks eating healthy cost more when in fact it really cost less since your not buying junk food. I used to eat an 8 oz steak at a meal and not i eat half of it. Food goes further eating responsibly and healthy. Good Luck
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Dried beans and lentils, pasta, frozen or in season veggies. Buy meat on sale in bulk and freeze. Buy cereal and other grains at bulk food stores, that way you don't pay for the packaging.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Are you just eating for one?
    The Michelina's lean meals are very affordable. Low in calories and only cost $1 here.

It would still be cheaper to buy the ingredients, make it yourself and freeze in individual portions. Not to mention it would be way more healthy as frozen meals (even ones that call themselves healthy) are not healthy at all.
  • smilebhappy
    smilebhappy Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    bump to read later :)