Slowcooker appreciation

Options
FadedFreckles
FadedFreckles Posts: 81 Member
Hi, i am loving my slowcooker at the moment. There is something wonderful about a warm stew on a winters evening!

I would love to hear anyones slowcooker favourites. Especially if they are nice and tasty whilst still being healthy!

Replies

• FadedFreckles
    Options

Oh wow, i dont think i will ever be short of ideas again! I'm not sure id want to use it every day mind!

Thanks for the link.
  • amberrrrh
    amberrrrh Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Buffalo Chicken Chili

Ingredients

1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO)
    1 pound all-white meat ground chicken breast (2 chicken breast)
    1 large carrot, peeled and chopped
    1 large onion, chopped
    3 ribs celery, chopped
    5 large cloves garlic, chopped
    1 tablespoon smoked paprika - I subbed chili powder & regular paprika
    1 bay leaf
    Salt and freshly ground black pepper
    2 cups chicken stock
    1/4 to 1/2 cup hot sauce, depending on how hot you like it (I used Frank's RedHot Buffalo Wing Sauce)
    1 15-ounce can tomato sauce
    1 15-ounce can crushed tomatoes
    1 can red kidney beans (drained and rinsed well)

Place a large pot over medium-high heat, add 1 turn of the pan of EVOO, about 1 tablespoon. Once the oil is hot, add the ground chicken. Brown it, using the back of a wooden spoon to break it up in to small pieces, about 5-6 minutes. Add the carrot, onion, celery, garlic, kidney beans, paprika, bay leaf and some salt and pepper. Cook, stirring frequently, for about 3-4 minutes. Add the chicken stock and scrape up any brown bits on the bottom of the pot. Add the hot sauce, tomato sauce and crushed tomatoes, and bring up to a bubble. Simmer for 8-10 minutes to let the flavors come together.

209 calories in one cup!
  • PZlady
    PZlady Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    cabbage/veggie soup is fabulous! Just chop up a whole head of cabbage, chop large onion chunks & toss 'em in to taste (I like a lot o' onion), add leftover veggies you've got in the frige (not the moldy ones, the other ones), add a meat of your choice if you want, add chicken or been STOCK to fill the pot, add salt & pepper to taste & another seasoning - your fav. & cook it all day. What a wonderful, low cal meal!! It's different every time. YAY
  • FadedFreckles
    Options
    Craving Curves that sounds delish, thanks.
  • FadedFreckles
    Options
    PZ lady, that is why i love my slowcooker, i just whack in anything in the fridge that needs using!
  • amberrrrh
    amberrrrh Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    it doesnt say to put it in the crockpot, but i do for two hours, and it comes out awesome!
  • deewildwoman
    deewildwoman Posts: 120 Member
    Options

I love this website. The pork carnitas are great and so simple...YUMM!
  • NaytM84
    NaytM84 Posts: 38
    Options
    OOOO slowcooker my FAVORITE kitchen item! I have a chili recipe I will have to find! I loved it!