marine workouts

Options
the reason i'm on a diet is to lose weight to be able to go to meps and then eventually marine basic training. i'm wondering what are some good workouts to meet the requirements for marine pt tests.

Replies

• Jenene88
    Jenene88 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    My husband is rmy and he said u can find it online cuz it goes by age groups
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    pretty much just run lol i don't think you gotta be able to do much just run so you don't end up being the last guy/girl on the mile runs
    also i suggest the battle ropes for conditioning they are tough!
  • nrvo
    nrvo Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Running, sit-ups, pull-ups....like someone else said, check out the USMC website. They have recommended workouts!
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    the reason i'm on a diet is to lose weight to be able to go to meps and then eventually marine basic training. i'm wondering what are some good workouts to meet the requirements for marine pt tests.

Amazon.com has a Back to the Basics Military Workout Program. http://www.amazon.com/Back-Basics-Military-Workout-Program/dp/B003PF7WV2/ref=sr_1_3?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1326081253&sr=1-3

You might want to Jay Johnson's Boot Camp Fitness (Check him out on youtube). http://www.amazon.com/Jay-Johnsons-Boot-Camp-Fitness/dp/B003M0Q0CC/ref=sr_1_3?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1326081610&sr=1-3
  • MHunte
    MHunte Posts: 149
    Options
    Dude, if you're trying to get in the USMC you have to be able to run 3 miles in 16 mins or less.... thats going to be the hardest thing to do for most people, along with the pushups. you got to run like crazy, go on the treadmill and do speed intervals, set your slow pace to about 7.5 mph and your fast pace 9.0 mph that will set you up for a 100 points on the run with time to spare. Am also getting in shape for the ARMY PFT but am National Guard so i only have to run 2 miles. Good luck!!
  • Kohadre
    Kohadre Posts: 316
    Options

Consider looking at the spartan death race daily workout postings.
  • nrvo
    nrvo Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Dude, if you're trying to get in the USMC you have to be able to run 3 miles in 16 mins or less.... thats going to be the hardest thing to do for most people, along with the pushups. you got to run like crazy, go on the treadmill and do speed intervals, set your slow pace to about 7.5 mph and your fast pace 9.0 mph that will set you up for a 100 points on the run with time to spare. Am also getting in shape for the ARMY PFT but am National Guard so i only have to run 2 miles. Good luck!!

No this is not right at all. If you can run 3 miles in 16 minutes, that is awesome, but this is not the max time allowed. The USMC PFT is 3.1 miles, plus pull-ups and sit-ups. The max/min scores vary by age and sex, and you can enter your scores in here http://usmc.pftcalculator.com/ to figure out what your overall score would be. Even though push-ups aren't scored, you will be doing a butt-ton of them during regular PT sessions, so definitely practice!

This article http://www.military.com/military-fitness/army-basic-training/getting-prepared-for-bootcamp has good info for USMC boot camp training as well.
  • pjbercot
    pjbercot Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I was in the Marines from Aug 13 2001 to December 15 2005. the PFT is a 3mi run done in 27 min or less, Pullups minimum is 3 and crunches (I forget the minimum). It is all based on points with 300 being the best you can do. If you do the minimum of each you will NOT pass. Assuming you current fitness level is not great I would suggest any type of full body work out i.e. kettle-bells or something similar a few days a week and run/jog a few days a week. You should leave one day a week to practice pullups and sit ups. Set up a pyramid routine (the pullup machine if necessary). Rd 1 do on pull-up, Rd.2 do 2. continue till you get to your max and than go back down. I would suggest training by doing them with your palms facing out. This will train your back which is much bigger than your arms. Did i also mention RUN. Starting out leave at least two days of rest and decrease it to one day.
  • MHunte
    MHunte Posts: 149
    Options
    0h my bad on the 16 min time thats for Army not USMC, i was thinking the time i have to beat.......... Sorry for the misleading info.