Desk job + long commute to work = fat *kitten*

Options
13»

Replies

• KatrinaG2012
    KatrinaG2012 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Same here. Two jobs, both at desks, one with a long commute. I put a kettlebell under my desk at the office with the long commute. It is cheap, doesn't take up any space and the basic kettlebell swing packs a lot into a short amount of time. You might have to shut your office door for a little privacy. That isn't an issue for me but might be for some. My next idea is one I have not implemented yet but plan to this week. During really busy times of year hours go by and before I even know it I have been at my desk for a half a day. I am going to set an alarm or other reminder to get up and do ANYTHING every hour.
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    There's no gyms on the way home or near your house? You don't have the capability to buy free weights or do calisthenics?
  • Radcliffe83
    Options
    I don't know what other commitments you have? I have exact same office and commute. I get to the gym for 6:45 and then go to work after. Get my weights and cardio done and then I have a limit of calories for day. Otherwise if I have a rest day I go for a walk at lunch and after work.
  • TammiAcker
    TammiAcker Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I'm in a similar position and completely understand all the frustrations that go along with it. I work 75 miles from home so that's about 1.5 hour commute with traffic. What I've done to ensure I workout is: 1.) went to by boss and told her this is something important to me 2.) we agreed that I could use my hour lunch in the morning from 8-9 to workout (got a membership and the local YMCA by my work) and I can bring my lunch to work and eat at my desk...."on the clock". So I leave the same time I normally did, but now I'm in town and "can't" clock in for an hour...I'm already dressed for the gym......so I might as well workout :) 3.) Anytime I need to talk to a fellow associate I walk to their office instead of paging them or emailing them to add a little extra walking. I've been doing this since Aug 1 2011, and have lost 30lbs. Adapt to your situation and overcome the obstacles. Make it happen! Good luck on your journey!
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Try to fit in 1,000 Kegels per day. :drinker:
  • debloves2ride
    Options
    I am an office worker, and a computer geek - twice the curse! But I walk on each break during the day (15 min each) and had my work area arranged so that I could stand or sit. raise the work area, get a drafting chair and voila! flexability. I will stand for about 30 minutes - put on the headsets and move. then you can site and relax - it keeps me more alert and I feel better when I get home
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym everyday at lunch. If you have the time to sit down and watch TV, you have time to exercise. That being said, 80% of weight loss is what you eat.... so you are blaming about 10% of the problem instead of blaming the 80% that count. (the other 10% if genetics)
  • noexcuses1218
    noexcuses1218 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have any ideas, or exercises for me. I have a desk job and a 45 minute commute to work and home each day. Besides going for a walk on my lunch and after supper...does anyone have any other exercises I could do? THanks!

I too work a desk job...try to get your boss to get you a standing desk or a kangaroo (it is a platform that allows you to raise your monitor and keyboard). Standing will help burn more calories than sitting, and prevents the "secretary spread"

I got a standing workstation several months ago because sitting - even on an exercise ball chair - was really hurting, and I ended up having to go to PT for it. Still struggling, but at least I'm not ruining everything I do by sitting for eight hours a day.

The workstation is insanely simple - I had my dad built it for me; it's really nothing more than a platform, plus it gives me a lot of space underneath for storage. If that's not an option, I would definitely suggest looking into some other options.

Keep in mind, though, that when you first start standing, you might want to do it a bit at a time, instead of going from completely sedentary to 8 hours a day standing. But I wouldn't sit now if they paid me extra to do it.
  • ShapeUpSidney
    ShapeUpSidney Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have any ideas, or exercises for me. I have a desk job and a 45 minute commute to work and home each day. Besides going for a walk on my lunch and after supper...does anyone have any other exercises I could do? THanks!

I have the same, so I just go to the gym every day after work. Seems easy enough.
  • CiciPorcayo
    CiciPorcayo Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Cardio :) Pull up Youtube.com look for work out vids!! Try Kickboxing routines... they kick your butt ;) Good Luck
  • hlcook
    hlcook Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Same thing here. Although I did lose about 30lbs while still at a desk job. Now I work 12 hour shifts and sometimes only get a half hour break.

If I get a full hour, I use the whole thing for a work out as high intensity as I can. Then I eat at my desk and work.

If I get no work out break then I go for a walk when I get home. We also just brought in a mini treadmill into our cubicle environment to combat this (it's an emergency dispatch centre, so I can't help it if there's no break... someone's having a worse day than me!).

Heather
  • tkn11
    tkn11 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    *kitten*...funny
  • ShapeUpSidney
    ShapeUpSidney Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    If you do the gym after work, you might find that there's no rush hour traffic when you're done...just sayin
  • judy20in2011
    judy20in2011 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Here are a few I've been doing -- (often in the bathroom)

As many jumping jacks as you can do with out stopping

Shadow boxing

calf raises, leg lifts, lunges, squats, etc. are also great.

I keep a little notebook and record my progress throughout the day. It helps if you set a goal.

Ha Ha! I am in the same boat as everyone else and I often "sneak" to the spare office in the basement or have done some in the bathroom, to do jumping jacks. I try to time myself to see how long I can go! I also jog in place and in general hop around like a crazy person! Anything to keep the heart rate up. I try to do 10 minute intervals of these 3/x day. I also get up at least every hour and try to stand and walk for 3 minutes.
  • Hmrjmr1
    Hmrjmr1 Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Fit Deck for Office workers. Try exercising (even just walking in place) during commercial breaks on TV, You'll get about 20 min per hour of programing. Rocker Bottom Ton9ing shoes are also a help.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    We're gonna need a bigger boat...
  • kardowling
    kardowling Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Sounds like me...Yeah, I walk at lunch, on a break and walk to who I need to talk to instead of email. Also lots of water keeps me walking across the office to the bathroom many, many times. Embarassing. Also, take seperate trips to fridge for lunch and snack. It all helps.
  • wifeygonzo
    wifeygonzo Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I also have a desk job and roughly a 45 min commute to and from work as well, my only solution is to work out at 5 AM. By the time I get home, cook dinner, clean up dinner, I just want to relax.