BMI not all it's cracked up to be

Options
So according to my BMI, I'm slightly in the "over" category... I'm 5'5" and weigh about 150-155 (depending on the day). And believe me I know I could stand to lose some fat. HOWEVER, I had my body fat composition done a few months ago and I was 23.5% and well into the fit/healthy category.

I just want anyone who is nervous about that stupid BMI calculator that it isn't all it's cracked up to be! It just measures weight, not how much of that weight comes from muscle or fat. So let me act as an example in telling you to ignore the BMI and to focus on building muscle and burning fat... no one really wants to be skinny fat. :tongue:

Replies

• Hyperspace
    Options
    Totally right!
  • ShapeUpSidney
    ShapeUpSidney Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Totally shocking revelations going on in here.
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    wonder how accurate Wi fit is?... It says I'm currently 24. something and tells me to aim for 22 and weight 9st 3, so according to that I got another 13lb to go before I'm healthy!
  • AmeChops
    AmeChops Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    I've always despised BMI - so many things just aren't taken in to consideration
  • wildon883r
    wildon883r Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I don't give much thought about BMI since it was created by insurance companies to validate risk groups not realising a 200 lb man all muscle of a certain height can be shown as obese with 10% body fat.. I'm 6'1 around 200lbs and i'm still considered overweight even though i look great. I still have belly fat i want to get rid of none the less. My recommended healthy weight for my height according to BMI is between 140-187. At 170 i look like I'm malnourished. If I didn't have any belly fat i wouldn't care how much i weighed. BMI means nothing in all honesty.
  • Kolohe71
    Kolohe71 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    BMI is an index created by the insurance industry to gauge the general health risks for an individual. It does not actually indicate health or body composition.

Based on BMI a lot of professional athletes (especially NFL players) would be classified as Obese.
  • Leela30
    Leela30 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    BMI is an index created by the insurance industry to gauge the general health risks for an individual. It does not actually indicate health or body composition.

Based on BMI a lot of professional athletes (especially NFL players) would be classified as Obese.

LOL
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    I used the BMI chart to choose an inital weight goal, but after that I toss it out the window. I'm 5'4" and 145 pounds now with a BMI of 24.9. I think I look great and am looking to lose only 5 more pounds. If I went off of the BMI charts, I would be shooting for way too low a number for my body type.