How much should I weigh??

Options
I am a female, 5 feet, 7 3/4 inches tall. Bascially 5'8. I'm not sure what I should be weighing, but want to be about 120-124. I am currently at 128.8 now. Does this sound right or too low/high? Thanks for the help!! :)

Amy

Replies

• LisaLashesxx
    LisaLashesxx Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    this sounds about right but it will tell you what your healthy weight range and BMI is in ya settings when you put in the details of age height weight etc...

L.x
  • cygnetpro
    cygnetpro Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    That's probably about right. But I've found that it varies so much from person to person. I'm 5'9", and below 140, I look gaunt, and people ask me if I'm ill. But I see supermodels my height who are (supposedly) 110, and don't look ill. So it varies. BMI is a good starting point, but it does seem to vary a bit between people.
  • lottycat
    lottycat Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    That sounds fine to me. x
  • Gemmageldmacher
    Gemmageldmacher Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    That sounds about right, and probably on the thin side. Your BMI would be on the low end if I were to take a guess. What's more important is your overall fitness...have you had your body fat measured? Are you overall toned, or a little flabby? There is such a thing as "skinny fat"! So hopefully your slimness comes with a good dose of healthiness as well, since feeling good will make you look even better!
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    According to the UK NHS height/weight chart. 140 would put you smack in the middle of the healthy weight range. :smile:
  • NicNac86
    NicNac86 Posts: 130
    Options
    At the top of the page, go to 'Tools', then go to 'BMI'. It should already have your current height and weight in the boxes. Just click 'calculate', and it should tell you where you are now in the range, and what your 'ideal' weight range is.

BMI is a good indicator, but it's no good for shorties like me (5ft 1).
  • 2fit4fat
    2fit4fat Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    sounds a bit thin, thats my goal weight and im 5'5" exactly! lol 125 puts me on the thinner side for my height too :-)
  • Lvgirl25
    Options
    I agree b.m.i but also consider your bones.If you're small boned,medium,large etc. also incorporate how much of your weight is muscle. : )
  • hikeout470
    hikeout470 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    Sounds a bit thin, depending on your muscle structure. For me 5'5" at 128- 130 is about right.
  • seph_house
    seph_house Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    at that weight/height i would think you are at the skinny end of a perfectly healthy weight :) getting a bodyfat measurement/estimate done might be more useful for you rather than a scale number.

if you are not happy with what your body looks like, i'd take a wild guess and suggest you should look at lifting some weights and actually gaining a little bit but all of it muscle which will help you *look* a lot better. there are loads of insperational stuff around and lots of threads here about "why women shouldn't be afraid of lifting weights and won't "bulk up"" if you search around. my favorite link is http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/ which is a great example of how putting **ON** weight can make you look great :)
  • Hyperspace
    Options
    BMI is deceptive because it does not take into account frame size or body composition. Many bodybuilders would be obese according to BMI, but their "excess" weight is all muscle, not fat.

Get your body fat measured. Most gyms have some way of doing it. If you don't have access to a gym, buy an inexpensive set of skin-fold calipers (google "slim fold skin calipers" for one example.)

People should focus not on weight, but on fat %, because that is what matters.

Here's a chart of healthy body fat % :

http://www.builtlean.com/2010/08/03/ideal-body-fat-percentage-chart/
  • hikeout470
    hikeout470 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    Personally found body fat measuring to be very tricky. Better use for personal trend analysis then actual accuracy.
  • angjindra
    angjindra Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    At 5'7 the normal weight range would be 140. Im 5'7 and my goal is to be 135, at which I have been and I was pretty dang skinny! So I think your good! :)
  • wildon883r
    wildon883r Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Your at a perfect weight for your height already. 5'8 and 130 is slender.
  • AOKnight
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your input and feedback!!
    :happy: This is really a great site for help and encouragement!!
  • shanea98
    shanea98 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Ideal body weight for 68 inches is 140# =/- 10%
  • siabevis
    siabevis Posts: 811
    Options
    bump