Something to go with chicken???

Options
sylverkat
sylverkat Posts: 55 Member
Something to go with chicken besides salad. Toddler friendly would be GREAT!

Replies

• alex063287
    alex063287 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    pretty much any veggie
  • ajlarz
    ajlarz Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I love having rice with chicken...you could make a rice pilaf or just plain brown (or white) rice!
  • FreshStart89
    FreshStart89 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    squash, cooked carrots, green beans, any kind of beans, mashed potatoes, corn, broccoli, asparagus
  • melissa_leah
    Options
    I always like steamed broccoli w/ soy sauce :)
  • CouchSpud
    CouchSpud Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    vegetable rice or pasta sald... that way you can get some veggies in as well (best hidden)
  • slynnmiller
    Options
    We do the Green Giant steamers Carrots, broccoli, and pasta in cheese sauce. Kids love cheese sauce lol
  • BritFitB
    BritFitB Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Cut a slit and bake it with kale, spinach, a little feta cheese and tomato inside it. Stuffed chicken!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I think it would depend on how you are preparing the chicken. You could shred the chicken and add it to a pasta sauce, or chop it and stir fry it with a variety of veggies. Green beans are a good side for baked chicken that children usually like. Mashed cauliflower or a mix of potatoes and cauliflower would be great with baked or grilled chicken.
  • livingaloha
    Options
    oven roasted brussel sprouts are yummy. just coat with a little olive oil, salt (kosher salt is best), pepper to taste, and roast on a cookie sheet for about 40 min at 400 degrees. Shake cookie sheet occ. during cooking to roll around the b.sprouts. They taste terriffic! :flowerforyou:
  • Mlbsmum
    Mlbsmum Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Roasted green beans - roasting makes veggies delicious and it's fun finger food for your toddler!
    http://www.kalynskitchen.com/2009/01/recipe-for-roasted-green-beans-with.html
  • sylverkat
    sylverkat Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I am not a cook! LOL. I am taking over the cooking since I am committed to this, so it's a struggle to think of what to make. The chicken is skinless boneless
  • Mlbsmum
    Mlbsmum Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I love roasted brussels sprouts!
  • NiciS72
    NiciS72 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    How about a nice saute of tomatoes with balsamic vinegar?
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I love roasted brussels sprouts!

Me too! In fact these are in my most used list. But I have noticed that they often are not popular with kids.
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    everything goes w/ chicken. for a toddler, i would say go with veggies that are finger food too. steamed broccoli, green beans - but the long cut kind, so they eat like french fries - baby carrots are always good, steamed w/ some dill. cut up bell peppers and just lay them out. i would steer more towards the colorful veggies, toddlers will eat more if they're interested.
  • kk1964
    kk1964 Posts: 46
    Options
    Hi, I do chicken fillets chopped tomatoes, onions , and mushrooms , put it all in the slow cooker and call it dinasour power food, my young son eats lots with brown pasta, its healthy and low calorie, I add chilli flakes to mine...
  • thatsnumberwang
    thatsnumberwang Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Whole wheat pasta with olive oil and a sprinkle of salt. Yum.
  • kimhurt
    kimhurt Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • TBirdGirl
    TBirdGirl Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Pasta, rice, couscous and of course, veggie :)
  • KareninCanada
    KareninCanada Posts: 832 Member
    Options
    Oven-roasted sweet potato - sprinkle a bit of salt/pepper, and drizzle just a bit of melted butter and honey. Or mash cooked sweet potato with cinnamon and a very small amount of honey, then sprinkle some crushed pecans on top.