Dumb question/roasting stuff.

Options
Such a dumb question, but tell me how to roast potatoes and/or veggies without added fat.

I have always roasted using either butter or olive oil.

I know some olive oil is okay in moderation (good for me even) BUT...I would prefer to keep my vegetable dishes fat free when possible.

Thank you!

Replies

• lukeout007
    lukeout007 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Try an olive oil spritzer....at least that way you're minimalizing the amount of oil you're actually using (and providing better coating in the process!)

Have you tried roasting without oil or butter? I've never done it but I can't imagine it would make a world of difference...maybe it wouldn't be quite as flavorful but a decent option.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    Roast them in the oven; spray your pan (or tin foil) with non-stick cooking spray. Steam your vegetables. Buy one of those little steamer baskets that fit into your saucepan.
  • TheVulcanLover
    TheVulcanLover Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Roast them in the oven; spray your pan (or tin foil) with non-stick cooking spray. Steam your vegetables. Buy one of those little steamer baskets that fit into your saucepan.
    I do steam my veggies often I just really am craving that crispy, oven roasted taste....
  • mdejoseph
    mdejoseph Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Silpat in the pan OR parchment paper OR parchment lined foil OR quick release foil. All will not stick and all add no fat :o)

You can also do a foil pouch. I make Vinny's baby food by roasting in foil a lot. Makes carrots AWESOME.
  • mdejoseph
    mdejoseph Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    If you want flavor, add a tiny bit of veggie stock, enough to cook out. If you want like garlic to stick or something. You could also "GRILL". Use a broiler pan or just stick heartier ones ON the rack with a sheet pan underneath the rack.