Delusional or too old??

Options
So I was telling my friend that Day 3 into 30DS I hurt my rotator cuff. She said I might be too old for 30DS and should consider a Yoga for seniors dvd. Explained that perhaps at my age I shouldn't be doing the high impact jumping jumping and such... I'm 44, I didn't think I was too old...or am I just being delusional?

Replies

• KandieLantz
    KandieLantz Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Girl, you are JUST getting started! Too old!? I hope you laughed at her! You've got this!!
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    So I was telling my friend that Day 3 into 30DS I hurt my rotator cuff. She said I might be too old for 30DS and should consider a Yoga for seniors dvd. Explained that perhaps at my age I shouldn't be doing the high impact jumping jumping and such... I'm 44, I didn't think I was too old...or am I just being delusional?
    sometimes it's not the age but the mileage...lol

Have yourself checked by a Dr - not some silly friend.
  • PedmomJill
    PedmomJill Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Wow what a bunch of BS!!!!!! I'm a little older than you and I workout HARD almost every day. Yes, there are some aches and pains along the way, but it's worth it. Wow. That is really insulting of her to say that to you! When you are feeling a little pain, just don't jump as high. It's easy to lower the impact on just about any exercise.

I'm really insulted for you! LOL
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    Is your friend 12 years old?

You're not too old! You just need a workout that can be tailored to your needs. It's difficult to get that out of a video.
  • JDavid007
    JDavid007 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I am 42 and I am not too old. Screw that nonsense. :grumble:
  • 2Bgoddess
    2Bgoddess Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    They say always consult a physician first tho, but that said, no damned way! I am 40, and in better shape than ever, i do plenty of jumping during my workouts! I've only been working out for a couple of years.
  • tinalouiseh2
    tinalouiseh2 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    YOU are NOT being delusional!!! Your friend is. The problem is that you probably hurt yourself my overdoing it to to start. There are people active at every age. My neighbor is an 86 yr old tennis champ. He has had multiple surgeries and is always eager to get back to tennis and dancing. To the chagrin of his 'kids' You are young, and don't be afraid to try anything new just go at it slowly at first until your body acclimates. Good luck!
  • _Timmeh_
    _Timmeh_ Posts: 2,096 Member
    Options

Your friend is delusional.
  • sallyaj
    sallyaj Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    If your shoulder hurts, do something else. Run or spin -- whatever burns calories. Spin burns the most for me.

Don't do that other Cr** until you're a few weeks in, and when your shoulder has healed.

It's all about the burn in beginning. Do I want to limit myself to 1300 calories or do I want to eat 1800. That's the equation for me right now.

And I'm 47!

Good luck, and be good to the shoulder.
  • watch48win
    watch48win Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    I'm day one into 30DS and my shoulder kinda hurts too. I'm, 48 today, and I'll be damned if I'm buying a Senior workout DVD.. I vote that someone is delusional and it's not you!
  • Slo83
    Slo83 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'll let you know after I get my DVD and get started... I'm 62, btw. hahaha (my guess is no, though)
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    44 is not old!
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    My 96 year old great grandma says, "Can it kiddo." You're not old.
  • lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Not too old. Could have been you just need to warm up a bit more before doing something like 30DS. Or, is it possible you might have strained your rotator cuff a little bit and the 30DS just put you over the edge? Or, you might have been positioned incorrectly for one of the exercises. Personally, I can't do yoga without an instructor! Anyway, not too old.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    44 is not old!
    But there's also nothing wrong with low impact.
  • Shyloh1
    Shyloh1 Posts: 422 Member
    Options

Girl,you're not too old. I'm doing the New Rules of Lifting For Women and loads of high impact cardio. It's just a number,it's all how you feel! I'm 44 too!:wink:

Just listen to your body,as another member stated...you could always try low impact.
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    Noooo.....just modify the 30DS to be a bit lower impact. I did everything at a much slower pace in the beginning and just concentrated on the correct form. You can do it. :)

*I'm 47!
    ** if you injured yourself please wait until you heal. :smile:
  • JDavid007
    JDavid007 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Oh and another thing my 16year old daughter has more pains than I do. She is always complaining. Maybe she's too old. :bigsmile:
  • Sandeee
    Sandeee Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I could NOT and DID NOT like the 30 DS. I am 51 and workout like crazy, weights, all kinds of cardio, zumba, etc. Found the 30DS was too much for me.
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    44 is not old!
    But there's also nothing wrong with low impact.
    I agree on both points. :drinker: