How do I increase colorie intake?

Options
Most of my adult life I have eaten basically dinner, once in a while a snack during the day. Now that I am trying to lose weight I have been tracking my food on here. The problem is my calories are around 1200 and my protein is usually higher than it should be. How do I get more calories in without the added protein. As I said I wasn't really eating before so 1200 is good compared to that but I know it needs to be higher. Does anyone have any suggestions for me? Thanks in advance!

Replies

• melkayf
    melkayf Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi Nicki.

Check out products like Boost or Ensure. There are different formulas for different nutritional needs.

You also might want to try smoothies. They're a very tasty way to add healthy carbs (fruit) and calories.

They all have the added benefit of being portable, which any SAHM needs.

Melissa
  • nicki_1004
    Options
    I have been getting better with the calories as the week has progressed. One thing I have noticed though is that I meet or exceed the protein limit for me. When I try to add more calories I end up adding more protein. I know I have Carnation instant breakfast and I was told you could use those as a supplement. The thing with the supplements they have protein in them too so if I use them for the extra calories I am adding more protein as well.
  • 4alison4
    Options
    This might sound counterintuitive to you, but I'd up your cals with a protein shake. There is absolutely nothing wrong with consuming extra protein. Plus, I believe MFP protein count is set pretty low. Good luck!
  • Justjoshin
    Justjoshin Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Stop worrying about your protein.

MFPs protein levels are set way too low. You can safely consume plenty more protein, it's good for you.
    (Look at my diary for protein today for example, though I am an extreme case)
  • Cr357
    Cr357 Posts: 238
    Options
    Healthy fats at 9 cals per gram (PB, nuts, olive oil).
  • hiemerapril
    hiemerapril Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Fruits and veggies, add as much as you can, anywhere you can! Good healthy carbs too! Whole grain breads and pastas.
  • stevwil41
    stevwil41 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I pretty much ignore the protein recommendation from MFP. I've not done a lot of research but most people on the boards seem to agree that it's on the low side and since I go over 3 out of 4 days I've chosen to not worry about it.
  • hyde1977
    hyde1977 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Its okay!!!! Protein should be higher then what MFP gives!!! Protein is good and helps you so much!
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    Unless you are eating more grams of protein than you weigh in lbs in a day, you are 200% fine. If you are eating more, you are still 100% fine. ;)

MFP's protein numbers are asinine. I can't fathom their justification for setting them so low.
  • caramia311
    caramia311 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    In my opinion MFP sets protein way too low and I really can't understand why it's set as a "maximum." You should be fine eating up to 35% of your calories from protein. You are better off having more protein when you lose weight, because you will feel fuller longer and preserve muscle mass as you loss weight.
  • horror_hamster
    Options
    ditto what those above said. I know plenty of people who regularly consume at least half their body weight in protein (g). Protein is great for you and it helps you feel fuller longer (tho it doesnt sound like you need that). I'd say if you're not hungry for food food, go the protein shake route, if you're looking to get into a better habit of eating solids during the day, try finding easy to eat things like baby carrots and peanut butter (my favorite option, btw) and popcorn. It's not a LOT of calories but it'll help you adjust to eating more regularly and then you can up the calories as you adjust to eating.

just some ideas, best of luck! My diary is open if you'd like to take a gander.
  • wonca
    wonca Posts: 81
    Options
    I just took a look at your diary and you're fine. I'm assuming you have the MFP suggested %'s in. The important thing is that your getting good, clean calories.

From the looks of things, you did great today.
  • caramia311
    Options
    You can also change the MFP settings to increase your daily protein allowance. But I generally just ignore it anyway.
  • StephanieHolloway
    Options
    Do not worry about going over your protein. My daily total on MFP is 57 grams of protein. However, my personal trainer wants me to have no less than 100g a day since I am working out. I would just ignore that number! Carbs (fruits) in the morning and Veggies in the afternoon/evening. And I also drink protein shakes sometimes for breakfast and lunch when I am on the go. One scoop for breakfast, two scoops for lunch. Can be blended or stirred.
  • goodfriene
    Options
    Niki,

I have bee recording my food and exercise since Jan 1. I too am at about 70grams of protein, more than recommended here. BUT my doctor said I should plan on 70 grms because that will help to prevent burning muscle. It also helps to be less hungry. I have been eating a lot of Faya fat free greek yogurt.

I have been avoiding carbs and am focusing of that.

To get more calories you could eat more veggies with meals. I am just not used to eating a lot of vegies. I got to 250, mostly on breads and sweets and dairy. I think it will take a while to get to a truly well balanced diet. GRACE is my mantra today...

Best Wishes.

B
  • nicki_1004
    Options
    Well that makes me feel A LOT better. I have been trying to figure out how to have protein in each meal without going over without much luck. Are there any other numbers on MFP that are lower than they should be? I am kinda new at the whole eating healthy thing and making sure I am eating enough. I love peanut butter and I tend to have that for my snacks with apples, carrots, graham crackers. I am currently using Jif Natural with low sodium. Does anyone have any opinions on the type of PB I should be getting?
  • horror_hamster
    Options
    in all honesty, all natural PB and PB with honey are the best. They're healthy fats and good calories. I'd say avoid the reduced fat pb, it just makes pb less awesome and weirdly textured. If there is anything you "splurge" on... let it be PB :)
  • miss_missa07
    Options
    I always have this problem, too, so seeing these responses makes me feel much better! I was concerned I was getting way too much protein every day.
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Try to add a meal at breakfast or lunch. You need protein - if you can't eat I vote for a home made protein shake. Add your favorite fruit or cocoa powder and some flax seed for fiber and good fats. If you choose a premade shake check the label - you don't want any over processed oils or fillers.

You can make a smoothie out of almost anything...

Eat a little bacon for breakfast.. who can resist that...

I wish I had your problem...
  • caramia311
    Options
    Regarding peanut butter, I don't have a brand recommendation, but you should be eating a peanut butter that has only one ingredient: peanuts! Jif natural has 5 ingredients, including palm oil. It is only 90% peanuts -- you want 100% peanuts! Most organic peanut butters have only peanuts as the ingredients and do not contain palm oil or artificial ingredients. Check the ingredient label the next time you are at the supermarket.