Cutting sugar and which fruits are better?

Options
I desperately need to cut out all sugars, or most, from my diet. I do not eat any junk food nor do I drink sugary drinks. All I drink is water (and sometimes diet Lipton green tea), the only problem is that I eat a lot of sweet fruit like bananas, apples, grapes etc. Also non-fat greek yogurt. All of these i use mostly in my smoothies and where most of my sugars come from. The most I read, the most I can tell these fruits have the most sugar.Which fruits are best for me? I eat some (mostly green) veggies and lean meats like chicken, pork and venison. I don't eat bread (first thing I cut from my diet bc it's my weakness) I have been eating Multi grain tortillas (wraps). Are these ok in moderation or too much sugar? Also, I have been snacking on mozzarella string cheese made with 2% milk and laughing cow cheese with garlic and herbs with multi grain crackers. Are these cheeses ok or are they considered processed? Sorry, I am only two weeks into my new healthy lifestyle. I am thin, I only need to lose excess fat in my midsection from having two children. I am doing at LEAST 30 min. Cardio a day along with Jillian 30 Day Shred and weight training. Any answers, suggestions or advice is GREATLY appreciated! Thanks in advance :)

Replies

• ctmom1
    ctmom1 Posts: 189
    Options
    Raspberries, blackberries, Cranberries, honeydew melons, cantaloupe are all pretty low in sugar.
  • SavCal71
    SavCal71 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Why do you want to cut out all sugar? Unless you have a medical condition, fruit sugars aren't bad for you.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    Sugar is not the enemy. No need to cut it out if you don't have a medical condition.
  • EricaCW
    EricaCW Posts: 11
    Options
    I hear mixed review on fruit sugars. I won't cut out fruit sugars, I am just looking for guidance on which fruits have
    less sugar so I can incorporate them into my diet. As well as looking for information on any other hidden sugar mistakes people make with 'healthy' foods.
  • EricaCW
    Options
    Raspberries, blackberries, Cranberries, honeydew melons, cantaloupe are all pretty low in sugar.

Thanks!
  • chubbybunnee
    chubbybunnee Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Well, Stay away from Pineapple and try to limit your fruits in your smoothies and yogurt to only one or two. I use a medium banana and 1 cup strawberries for breakfast smoothie and my sugars are under for the day as long as I don't eat a chocolate square like I did tonight! lol
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Sugar is not the enemy. No need to cut it out if you don't have a medical condition.

Or a toothbrush.
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    Why do you want to cut out all sugar? Unless you have a medical condition, fruit sugars aren't bad for you.

Fruit is so good for you. :smile:
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    don't forget strawberries!
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    and blueberries! :love:
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Berries (blackberry, raspberry and cranberry are the best), melons, papaya, peaches, nectarines, grapefruit, apricots, apples, guava. Watch serving size as one serving of grapefruit is 1/2 (as is banana).

Limit: bananas, mangos, tangerines, cherries, grapes, pomegranate, plums, oranges, kiwi, pears, pineapple and all dried fruit. These are high in sugars but they do have other health benefits.
  • wlowinger
    Options
    sorry to be a bit of a bummer folks but fruit long known as good fruits are not so good, look at a gram for gram comparison of fruits. they are all essentially the same. the big difference is in the vitamins that they provide. reduction isn't bad but keep a good balance of all of the fruits. especially if your working out (men more then women but important for women) don't forget to get lots of bananas. they will help keep your electrolytes in balance since they are an excellent source of Potassium. think this way, balance your fruits and you will be just fine.
  • EricaCW
    Options
    Berries (blackberry, raspberry and cranberry are the best), melons, papaya, peaches, nectarines, grapefruit, apricots, apples, guava. Watch serving size as one serving of grapefruit is 1/2 (as is banana).

Limit: bananas, mangos, tangerines, cherries, grapes, pomegranate, plums, oranges, kiwi, pears, pineapple and all dried fruit. These are high in sugars but they do have other health benefits.

Thank you so much
  • EricaCW
    Options
    sorry to be a bit of a bummer folks but fruit long known as good fruits are not so good, look at a gram for gram comparison of fruits. they are all essentially the same. the big difference is in the vitamins that they provide. reduction isn't bad but keep a good balance of all of the fruits. especially if your working out (men more then women but important for women) don't forget to get lots of bananas. they will help keep your electrolytes in balance since they are an excellent source of Potassium. think this way, balance your fruits and you will be just fine.

Thanks! I will work on balancing now that I know the 'good and bad' fruits.
  • bexominglex
    bexominglex Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    When I didthe anti-candida diet I had to cut out a lot of sugar (almost all) which was tough. I learned from trial and error how to lower sugar (although carb and sugar cravings to this day are a huge problem for me but when I can abstain, I feel better). lemons and limes are low in sugar as are unsweetened cranberries, chokeberries and crab apples. Plain yogurt that is lactose free or lactose reduced will be lower in sugar than "regular" plain yougurts (I like astro probiotic plain yogurt- 90% lactose free). If you like apples, green apples tend to be lower in sugar. Coconut oil and cinnamon are good ways to add flavour while keeping the sugar intake low. Also, most of the sugar in cheese, etc, comes from the lactose so lactose reduced or lactose free cheeses might be something you want to try. Sounds like you're doing a good job, just remember that aspartame is really bad for your health for a variety of reasons...
  • corinske
    Options
    I too wanted to cut out sugars... I was drinking that Oasis Health Break Orange, Pineapple and Banana juice for breakfast (vitamin C), eating a banana (potassium) and/or an apple (fiber) a day, and sometimes put red grapes in my salad, thinking I was eating good! Couldn't figure out why I was loosing little if any weight!! Then I discovered just how much sugar these fruits had - and these had the highest!! Good Grief!! So, after a bit of research, I discovered that blackberries, strawberries and blueberries are the 'lowest' in sugars and the highest in antioxidants - in other words, GOOD FOR YOU! Cantaloupe is also low in sugar. Don't get me wrong, fruit is a natural, good source of vitamins etc, but eating too much or not the right ones can sometimes do more harm to one's weight loss. Now I enjoy a 1 cup of fresh strawberries a day, and when it's blackberry season (since they grow in my back yard), I enjoy those too. I do indulge in a good apple from time to time, just not on a daily basis anymore.
    Check out this chart... http://www.thefruitpages.com/contents.shtml
    Google it for yourself and see the difference.
  • EricaCW
    Options
    Thank you all!