Heart Rate Monitor

Ok so I am getting one. The problem s there are so many to pick from. Has anyone owned a Timexx one or any thing other than a polar i am just not sure I can afford the Polar. PPPPPPPPPPPPPLLLLLLLLLLLEASSSSSSSSEEEEEEE help me out on this.

Replies

• bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    I own a Timex (with chest strap) and I can tell you that it's not accurate in counting the calories burned. It overestimates the calories BIG time. Other MFPers will tell you the same thing. So your options are:

1. Buy a better quality (higher cost) HRM
    2. Buy a cheap one, but one that includes a chest strap, and log between 50-60% of the calories it shows.
  • I just found this on Amazon does anyone have one
    Polar FT4 Women's Heart Rate Monitor Watch (Bronze)
    Could you please tell em if it is worth the $60
  • ItsLessOfMe
    ItsLessOfMe Posts: 374 Member
    I just recieved my polar ft4 from ebay. I won it for $50 and it works great
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    I have a mio motiva. LOVE it. Very accurate, not annoying chest strap and reasonably priced. I got mine new on ebay for a great price.

Personally I just use it track my cals for my workouts so it's great for that
  • jskaggs1971
    jskaggs1971 Posts: 371 Member
    I just found this on Amazon does anyone have one

I have a Polar FT4, and it works just fine. It does not have a fitness test or an input for VO2MAX, so it's not as accurate as higher-end HRM's for calorie burn, but it works well enough for me. $60 is a good price for it. I paid around $100 for mine, but it was at my local running store, so I feel fine about it.
  • brendahall2000
    brendahall2000 Posts: 1 Member
    I had a Timex and it over estimated....a lot. It said I burned over 800 calories in 35 minutes! I exchanged it for the Polar Ft4 and LOVE it! Worth the $60. I paid $100 for mine.
  • jimdiamond
    jimdiamond Posts: 3 Member
    been testing a few different ones, myself lately.. I have both a bodybugg and Polar. I am looking into losing weight and getting back into running goal is to run a few 5k's this summer... I have been using the bodybugg to track calories lost. cumbersome with the Iphone but seems accurate I guess.... and I just tried a polar watch today which after a 30 min run/walk it was about 120 calories lower than the bodybugg. what should I go by? which device would you use? I find that I kinda like the heart rate training, lets me know when I should step it up..
  • I had thought about the bobybugg as well but it cost so much money
  • I got the polar f4 for my birthday and I love it. I paid 76 (tax and everything) so that's way less then most out there. It is nothing fancy, but it does EXACTLY what I need it to do and it's simple to use.
  • Timex are awful.
  • hazelnut861
    hazelnut861 Posts: 390 Member
    I got a polar ft40 for around $150. I went with this model because it seemed to have a couple more features. It's also water resistant so I can swim with it. I had to save for it but after returning cheaper ones I'm happy. It's definitely worth the investment. The chest strap is soft and comfy and it's easy to set up. If you're thinking about body Bugg, personally I had more luck with a body media fit which is essentially the same thing. The company also dropped their price to about $7the a month including month to month subscribers. I liked it too but I got a general.sense of how many calories a day I burn and it was way off from any online calculations. When I lose more weight I'll wear again to see how I burn. I prefer the watch because I can watch my heart rate and burn from exercise alone instead of a whole days burn. Hrm doesn't have a pedometer which the body media fit does.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    I have a mio motiva. LOVE it. Very accurate, not annoying chest strap and reasonably priced. I got mine new on ebay for a great price.

Actually without a chest strap the accuracy goes down significantly. With a chest strap, the data is being fed continuously to the watch.. without, it only gets data when you touch the watch... and if you don't touch it that often, then it will base the calorie burn off when you last touched it.. and since heart rate fluctuates a lot, that could be a bad thing.

To OP:
    Timex is awful.. stay away.

Polar really is best.. I just got an FT60 which I love!
  • shmunster
    shmunster Posts: 538 Member
    I love my ft4, completely worth it
  • ryno0618
    ryno0618 Posts: 361
    I have the Polar FT7 I got from Amazon for about $70. You can find the FT4 for $50-60. The FT7 just has a couple more features, but not necessary ones. I wear my HRM for all exercise and love it. Seems to work well and be fairly accurate. Next I will step up to an FT40 or an FT60 but these are more in the $150 range, but are better yet and have more features.
  • sophjakesmom
    sophjakesmom Posts: 904 Member
    When I researched them, Polars were by far the most recommended. Keep watching eBay and amazon, you would be surprised at the deals. I think the FT4 is one of the cheaper options and I love mine. I like it so much that I have been thinking of upgrading to a HRM with a GPS. The price goes WAY up for those, but I like the idea of being able to track my runs without having to bring my iPhone. I have already dropped one phone and cracked the glass and I don't want to do that again.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,247 Member

Completely worth it, do not hesitate. Easy to set up and use.

:flowerforyou:
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member

Actually without a chest strap the accuracy goes down significantly. With a chest strap, the data is being fed continuously to the watch.. without, it only gets data when you touch the watch... and if you don't touch it that often, then it will base the calorie burn off when you last touched it.. and since heart rate fluctuates a lot, that could be a bad thing.

To OP:
    Timex is awful.. stay away.

Polar really is best.. I just got an FT60 which I love!

Actually. Shut up.
  • allycat54
    allycat54 Posts: 67 Member
    I just got that one this week and i love it! (polar FT4)
  • jenhenning219
    jenhenning219 Posts: 385 Member
    i got mine at walmart for 40 bucks
  • andrejjorje
    andrejjorje Posts: 497 Member
    What kind of Polar do you have? If it does have a fitness test did you run it to find out the VO2 max? With the default values you have 90% chances to get inaccurate readings.
    been testing a few different ones, myself lately.. I have both a bodybugg and Polar. I am looking into losing weight and getting back into running goal is to run a few 5k's this summer... I have been using the bodybugg to track calories lost. cumbersome with the Iphone but seems accurate I guess.... and I just tried a polar watch today which after a 30 min run/walk it was about 120 calories lower than the bodybugg. what should I go by? which device would you use? I find that I kinda like the heart rate training, lets me know when I should step it up..