Anyone Follow the Paleo or CrossFit Diet? - Sia Bevis

Options
Im starting CrossFit the program but I know their diet doesnt include grains or breads-seems so hard to follow! I love breads.. Its also known as the caveman diet and is similar to the zone diet. Has anyone or does anyone eat this way? Was it hard to give up grains? Are there any benefits? Thanks. - Sia Bevis

Replies

• tmontgomery69
    Options
    I started following the primal blueprint and it's very similar to the paleo. I've NEVER felt better! Giving up breads/grains can be hard for some people. Grains/breads are like eating sweets.....the more that you eat the more that you crave, so the less that you eat the less you crave. After about a week or two you will no longer crave them. Especially since you will be feeding your body whole filling foods. I will never go back to eating breads/grains!

I cant wait to hear what you think of Crossfit and the paleo lifestyle.
  • chammich
    chammich Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I'm also doing Paleo..awesome way to eat. I'm not doing Crossfit though but I have heard good things about them.
  • siabevis
    siabevis Posts: 811
    Options
    What meats do you eat most? Are you worried about things like cholersterol or fat intake?
  • tmontgomery69
    Options
    I eat chicken breast, lean pork, steak, shrimp, salmon, cod, tuna, ground turkey. Nope I used to be worried about fat intake but since I started eating around 100g of healthy fats daily I have a TON more energy and I'm losing weight/inches faster than ever. Not to mention having healthy fats with every meal helps keep you full/satisfied a lot longer. Dont be scared if healthy fats! :)
  • schnisz
    schnisz Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    what do you use for carbs for endurance? I'm a runner and h ave been told "sweet potatos" which i hate
  • tmontgomery69
    Options
    The carbs that I eat come from salads, larabar's & bananas..........
  • schnisz
    schnisz Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    can those sustain you through a marathon?
  • KBGirts
    KBGirts Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    Watch the documentary called "Fathead"!!! It provides a ton of information on not eating carbs, and how fat has been given an unfair bad rap.... whether you believe it or not is up to you. You can watch the movie for free on youtube I think. I have given them up and so far I love it. I have been dropping weight but it's only been the first week so we'll see. I have done plenty of reading on it and people seem to love it if you can be consistent.

It can be hard to give up bread and rice and products made from grains if you like that stuff, but it's not impossible. All the fat and protein from eating more meat will keep you satiated. I enjoy meat, so i love eating this way. In a restaurant I just get meat and veggies and request that the grain parts of the meal not be brought out. It's easy in that regard.

Your body can use either fat or carb for energy. The carb is easier so your body chooses that first. When we eat tons of carbs, our body uses what it needs and converts the rest to fat. When you are constantly replenishing the carbs, your body doesn't have to tap into its fat stores for energy. There's also a lot to do with insulin that makes it more difficult to use stored fat.

I did get really tired and almost lightheaded for the first few days. That's because your body runs out of carbs for energy and doesn't know what to do because it's not used to having to use fat for energy. That feeling goes away after a while and then you'll feel full of energy because your body uses fat slowly rather than the quick energy that later results in a crash with carbs.

Join the paleo group on here. There's not a lot of activity on there so we need more members! And watch Fathead!
  • KBGirts
    KBGirts Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    I hope everyone on this thread will join the Paleo group. We need more members because no one really posts on there.
  • SaraSillyRainbow
    Options
    I was on a Paleo diet before the Holidays came around and then boom it's gone. I want to go back at it again, I just need someone to be accountable to you know. I also know I'll be having cake this weekend since it's my boy's birthday haha! I do plan to cut out all dairy and grains after that :-D
  • Marquettedominos
    Marquettedominos Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    What meats do you eat most? Are you worried about things like cholersterol or fat intake?

Dietary Cholesterol – Dietary cholesterol is different than blood cholesterol. Dietary cholesterol is the cholesterol obtained from food. Only food from animal sources contains dietary cholesterol. Dietary cholesterol only has a slight effect on your total blood cholesterol level.
  • theflyingartist
    theflyingartist Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    what do you use for carbs for endurance? I'm a runner and h ave been told "sweet potatos" which i hate

You would be amazed to know that broccoli has about 10 grams of carbohydrates for every 1/2 cup chopped. Also, nuts are your friend here: almonds, pistachios, cashews, peanuts. Make an amazing trail mix with almonds, cashews, cranberries, cacao nibs (or dark chocolate chips homemade: http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2012/01/15/three-ingredient-chocolate-bars-1/), and unsweetened coconut.
    Don't forget about fruits -- they are a great carb supplement in moderation. Berries, apples, citrus fruits galore!