I'm starving

Options
2»

Replies

• TurtleCrush
    Options
    Celery is great for filling you up and at 15 calories per 11 inch stalk it actually burns more calories to digest it than it is to eat it.
    Hope this helps!
  • hottottie11
    hottottie11 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    Protein, fat and fiber.
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    I started this on Saturday and although I am sticking to the number of allocated calories - 1300, I am rather hungry. Does anyone have any ideas of filling low calorie foods that might help me?

It's hard to give suggestions without seeing your food diary, but it may also take some time to get use to eating less. Sometimes, I think your body isn't really as hungry as you might feel. Also, if you exercise it will add calories to your daily "allowance" - you can then eat more!
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    In the beginning you will be hungry. You have to let your body detox. Eat a lot of salad with a little dressing and no croutons, Low fat popcorn, Egg white omelets with veggies, Low Cal whole grain breads, Boneless chicken breast, Tuna. Foods you can eat a lot of without a lot of calories.
  • Ticktockman
    Options
    I've found that eating frequently helps me. I have 3 meals plus at least 3 snacks per day. Also, I don't wait until I feel hungry to eat because I'm too tempted to overeat by then. I'll have a small snack midway between my meals just because it's time, and it heads off the hunger.

Good luck!
  • merandrich
    Options
    You need to increade your protein. Nut use Lean protein. Jenny O turney patties for breakfast, lunch or dinner, lean meats, tuna, etc... Between meals as your snack try either almond butter on celery Or Premiere Protein drinks at Sames- only 160 cals- 3 fat- 1 sugar and 30 grms of protein. They are Yummy and will keep you full!!

your weight is determined by 80% what you eat & 20% exercise. Here's my basic day: eat every 3 hrs for cal charge & drink 64 oz water...
    break- ideal protein drink
    snack- 1 cup cooked oatmeal (raw not processed) w/ 1 Tbs almond butter & 1/2 Tbs raw honey
    lunch- LARGE salade w/ as much lettuce as you want- 2 cups of low glycemic veggies (cucumbers, celery, broccali, cauli, mushroom w/ Walden Farms dressing- low cal & no sugar) w/ either 6 oz Lean protein of choice or another protein drink
    snack- lettuce wrap w/ 3 slices lean turkey, broccalli slaw, few thin slices of avocado
    dinner- 6-8 oz lean protein( I usually do ground turkey, fish or roasted chicken from Target) and 2 cups steam veggies
    snack- No later than 8 pm ( or 2 hrs before bed) protein drink

I have low blood sugar so protein keep that regulated & keeps me full. The prem protein drinks has helped me break my addiction to chocolate... and the lbs are melting away. Hope that helps
  • BigMamy
    BigMamy Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Hi. Thanks for all that advice. Funny, I did just have beans for dinner. Hopefully that will keep me going till morning.

I have opened up my food diary for viewing if anyone wants to take a look and give any further advice :smile:
  • IFatBastard
    Options
    Anything high fiber. With a calorie allowance that low though, I would try to do as many leafy green veggies as possible. Baby carrots are always good too. I'm sure with all the great suggestions out here, you will figure out something that will work for you. Good Luck!

Oh - I forgot - drink lots of water, that helps feel fuller too!
  • chazbo35
    chazbo35 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Protien Protien Protien (higher in cal, but will keep you fuller longer)
    Chicken, eggs, fish, nuts.

Raw Veggies are low cal, so you can eat more!!

I agree, and would also add a suggestion to spread your food out during the day, so instead of having 3Xmeals have 3 smaller meals, plus 2-3 small snacks to keep you going.

Don't forget to drink plenty of water between meals and snacks, as this will help you feel fuller.

These are fantastic suggestions and Ive gotten alot of help from doing these!!!!
  • Lyric82
    Lyric82 Posts: 119
    Options
    here is a website that may help you. http://www.the-gi-diet.org/lowgifoods/
    It says it's for people who are on the G.I or south beach diet, but that doesn't matter, it gives you a list of food and their calories.

Just as a heads up - those numbers posted next to the food is not calories - it is a foods GI number...still especially important to look at and monitor, but it's not calories!
  • AbiNichole
    AbiNichole Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    You have to remember that you're shrinking your stomach, literally. Your stomach is a muscle and your old habits of eating more (especially over the holidays) has likely strectched the smooth lining in your stomach causing you to be very hungry.

Give it time to shrink. As you eat less your stomach will shrink over time. If you're still feeling STARVED in a week or two then re-examine your eating habits, not just what you're eating.

Consider eating smaller meals throughout the day. If you eat a large meal all at once your stomach has a tendency to expand and lead to you being hungry later on.

Hope this helps! Keep your head up! You can do it :-)
  • fabafter5
    fabafter5 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I peaked at your food diary and if I were you I would ditch the white bread. Go for something with more protein, fiber, whole grains. When making sandwiches I try and always add tettuce, tomato,onion, sprouts to make it more filling. For me, this takes a bit of preparation so that I can grab pre washed/cut veggies at a moments notice.
    GL!
    Crys
  • jami523
    Options
    I fill up on homemade vegetable soup. There are endless ways to create a healthy comforting soup. I like to add beans, whole wheat pasta or brown rice with a variety of vegetables. . . Good stuff :happy:
  • suediet55
    suediet55 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere that when your thirsty and dehydrated the brain sends signals that makes you feel hungry - so when i felt hungry in the middle of the day I tried water abd found that it did kerb the hunger pangs for a while - try it and see what you think
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I see three options for you:

1. Change your goal so it's a little more manageable. If you've been eating a lot more then you can probably create a deficit without going so low, and it might make it easier for you to adjust. Then you can lower your calories farther once you're a little more used to eating less.

2. Focus on high volume low/cal foods-- some people swear by this but it doesn't work for me. Examples would be fresh veggies, popcorn, or anything else that gives you a large volume of food for just a few calories. This allows you to eat more often and eat more food. However I find that I get hungry very fast on these foods and I feel like I wasted the calories.

3. Focus on calorie dense/high protein foods. This is my choice as far as I go-- I find that I can eat a smaller amount of calories if I get in plenty of good protein and good fats. Almonds, peanut butter, fish/chicken, etc.

You may want to try all or just one or two of those options for yourself, based on what you like to eat and what you find more effective. Another thing is fluids as someone else said-- hot tea can be a lifesaver and drinking lots of water helps. Good luck!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Sorry, duplicate post. Having glitches today.
  • PhilLoch
    Options
    I eat eggs. either hard boiled, scrambled or fried. Use a cooking spray instead of butter to cook with. Also I like to use the chewy nut bars for snacks in between. they are low in calories, high in flavor and tend to satisfy. Protein foods are helpful I think, but those veggies are low in calorie so you can eat more. Also my heart doctor let's me consume as many diet Pepsi's. they are zero calorie and help to tide you over. If you have a very low calorie target, bump it up a little for a while to ease into the weight loss. I think the body adjusts to fewer calories, but it seems that gradually adjusting is easier and less painful. Don't get discouraged, I'm a diabetic who battle the blood sugar numbers, finally with this calorie counter and insulin, I'm getting some decent number for thefirst time in years.
  • ZyheeMoongazer
    ZyheeMoongazer Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    The first week for me was also very hard and I was hungry all the time. I went over my goal by alot a few days. I was about to quit but the second week was much better. I found some great recipes on allrecipes.com in their Low-Calorie section. My calorie goal is 1200 for 2 lbs a week loss. I do at least 20 minutes of cardio everyday and eat back the calories. So I am able to eat more calories and helps keep me satisified. I also feel less hungry in general when I do workout.

Stick with it! Don't give up, it will get easier as your body adjusts.
  • AnnieFJ
    AnnieFJ Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Hi there
    Your diary looks pretty good. You are eating good stuff and not starving yourself. Perhaps a little too much bread. If you replace one of your sandwiches with maybe 3 or 4 Ryvita spread with light spread cheese you will have more calories so you can have more food! I like to snack on Walkers French Fries as you get loads in a bag for just 84 calories.(I think you get those 'up North')!
    I also love, love, love porridge but the real stuff is the best - Oat so simple has other thngs added so is not so good. Porridge is a great super food and keeps you full for a long time.
    If you have put to lose 2lbs per week, I would definately put it down to 1-1.5 per week, you will be happier because the weight will still come off but you will be able to eat more.
    Best wishes. Keep going, dont give up, it is so worth it!
  • kkm2605
    kkm2605 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    With my intake only being at 1200... I MAKE SURE that I snack in between meals. At each meal, make sure that you do have protein (keeps you fuller) and snacks are green veggies :)
    I also follow the canada food guide for proper portions and i swear I am not hungry .. I am eating all day long.