Do you treat/reward yourself??

Options
Myself and my husband have started this new healthy lifestyle together, and decided when we get to certain mini goals we will treat ourselves..

My husbands first treat to himself when he gets to his mini goal is a subway lol

I don't want any food to be my treat, so i'm going to use clothes shopping for mine, cause what girl doesn't like clothes shopping and it'll encourage me more! :)

Do you set yourself a treat/reward for when you reach a certain goal?

Replies

• gj4man
    gj4man Posts: 52 Member
    Options

I don't want any food to be my treat, so i'm going to use clothes shopping for mine, cause what girl doesn't like clothes shopping and it'll encourage me more! :)

But then you'll be buying clothes that'll only fit you for a short amount of time, before they're too big for you again.

Shoes and bags on the other hand... :laugh:
  • Lambiii
    Lambiii Posts: 321
    Options

But then you'll be buying clothes that'll only fit you for a short amount of time.

Shoes and bags on the other hand... :laugh:

Haha hmmm... you make a valid point!! bags and shoes it is then lol :)
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Sometimes. When I do I make sure those rewards will encourage me to keep working... a new pair of running shoes, a new pair of headphones, more dumbbells, that sort of thing. Rewarding myself with food (at least with crappy food) doesn't work for me.
  • SinIsIn
    SinIsIn Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Yup!
    My husband wants to go shopping for clothes.
    Me... I want to do a sexy photo shoot! :bigsmile:
  • EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options
    I do. But not when I reach a goal. I've started my healthy eating just this week again after the Christmas holidays. I'm going to give myself a "cheat day", so I don't feel so deprived. I have a serious McDonald's weakness.
  • pixieakabigd
    Options
    I'm thinking from small to bigger rewards like a pedicure, a new handbag, a visit to the cinema, a weekend away and those kinds of things! BUt that's all a while off for me yet :)
  • lucentabella
    lucentabella Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I've always been told, don't let your trigger foods, or food in general, be your reward. Let something like buying new, smaller clothes or getting a mani/pedi be your reward. From what I've learned, using food as a reward reinforces the habit of using food for pleasure or that certain foods are forbidden. Good luck!
  • inotnew
    inotnew Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I had a pedicure.

as far as clothes go, I keep shopping Goodwill until I am close to my goal.

thinking full massage next.

Subway food is ok during, just make good choices.

And don't reward yourself with food, that is a bad habit we all fall into.
  • dfborders
    dfborders Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I'm waivering - I kind of want to reward myself with McDs so I don't feel deprived (so long as I fit it into my food diary) but also know that I have a bad habit of falling down that slippery slope (it is like a rabbit whole - once I fall in it is very hard to crawl back out). In fact, am thinking of McDs for tonight but debating - not sure what I am going to do yet?
  • NashvilleShelley
    Options
    Every 5 lbs. I reward myself with i-tune gift cards so that I can get new music for my i-pod to walk/run to. At 20 lbs. I got new sneakers and a couple running outfits to motivate myself to keep going and because it is getting cold and I needed something warm to go outside in.
  • AnneofAlaska
    AnneofAlaska Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I agree... i have to give myself a cheat day of food or I will go completely off the diet... My weakness is chocolate and beer. I love them both and cutting back on drinking was the hardest part for me. But I do find I sleep better now and it isn't as hard to get up... So that keeps me motivated.
  • kristi_asco
    Options
    sometimes if i have a really good few days or a week, i will treat myself to something small but still enough to satisfy my sweet tooth! maybe like a cookie or something of that sort, but not something that is high enough in calories/fat to ruin my whole days worth of counting calories!

good luck everyone! :happy:
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    What girl doesn't like clothes shopping? This girl! Even at my stable/low weight (I was a size 6) I usually hated it.

I like the music idea a lot, I may do that in the future. I use dance workshops as a reward. Or dance/fitness books. I don't consider things I need, like gym shoes, or workout clothes (both of which I hate shopping for) a reward, since I only buy them when I *need* new ones, but that's just me.
  • LauraSmyth28
    LauraSmyth28 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Every 5 lbs. I reward myself with i-tune gift cards so that I can get new music for my i-pod to walk/run to. At 20 lbs. I got new sneakers and a couple running outfits to motivate myself to keep going and because it is getting cold and I needed something warm to go outside in.

GREAT treat idea! I'm stealing it :wink:
  • lucentabella
    lucentabella Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Hitting up Goodwill is a good idea! Buying new clothes every few weeks can break the bank!
  • nnylee
    nnylee Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    When I hit my goal weight, then I will get myself something. I dunno what yet, but big. Haha. When I hit my halfway goal, I bought a new game and got a manicure.
  • ravenwcatz
    ravenwcatz Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I haven't really thought about any sort of incremental goals (mostly because I don't have that much to actually lose, it's more about feeling fitter and more positive about my body. And I feel like that should be reward enough)

BUT. I did promise myself a pair of running shoes if I finish C25K. Because if I finish AND run a real 5k, I figure that will prove to myself that running is something I'm serious about doing, and justify spending the money on new shoes.
  • Jemma_02
    Jemma_02 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I have a list of things that I would like to have or things I would like to do e.g. a book, jewellery, going snowboarding and then as I reach my goals I pick something from the list depending on how well I think I have done. I wouldn't use food as rewards as I know I would just crumble and end up at square one again.
  • ludogx87
    ludogx87 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    mine is chinese food, or dominos pizza, everytime i lose a stone i have a "reward"
    makes it all worth it... and because i dont eat food like that at all any more, (used to eat it daily) when i do "treat" myself every month or so, its like heaven on a plate lol x
  • getfitdiva
    getfitdiva Posts: 1,148 Member
    Options
    I use to treat myself w/ food until I got close to my goal . . . now I go shopping > cute outfit/new workout clothes/etc!